Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Center mounts tips hanging a little low(pics)....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center mounts tips hanging a little low(pics)....

I have a gmmg exhaust on my car with the stock center mount tips. And the tips seem to be hanging down a little low. They aren't tucked up in the center section of the rear valance like they should be. Anyone know how to get them to tuck back up in there?

Here is a pic of of an SS on here thats has the CME how it should look

Here is a pic of mine

My car is still under factory warrenty do you think I could bring it to the dealer and tell them that the exhaust tips hang low and have them fix it? Do you think they would notice that the GMMG was aftermarket and not fix it? Are there tighter exhaust hangers you can buy that will make it hang a little higher.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

When I had my LM installed, I had the same problem. It's not going to be an easy fix. The reason there is so much adjustability with the tips from the factory is because these actually bolt up to the tailpipes coming out of the muffler. The tailpipes are attached by clamps, so they can be rotated and positioned to accomodate the CME.

With the gmmg and LM, there isn't much you can do due to the way the tailpipes are attached to the system.

FWIW, the dealer will tell you to go jump in a lake if you expect them to do it for free. That being said, you should have the exhaust shop that did the install fix it for you.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Come to think of it. Mine looked EXACTLY the same and I hated it. You can also expect the tab connecting the tips to break in half within a matter of months. They look a little uneven, and the torque being applied to the tips when the exhaust pulses through will cause it to snap in half.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:56 PM

go to an autoparts store get the biggest black zip ties they have and use 3 per hanger and pull them up, problem solved.. Happened to me and I did that, well over a year ago and its still fine....
Old 02-10-2005, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1_SS
go to an autoparts store get the biggest black zip ties they have and use 3 per hanger and pull them up, problem solved.. Happened to me and I did that, well over a year ago and its still fine....
haha ok, ill give that a try, Thanks
Old 02-10-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NBM2k2SS
I have a gmmg exhaust on my car with the stock center mount tips. And the tips seem to be hanging down a little low. They aren't tucked up in the center section of the rear valance like they should be. Anyone know how to get them to tuck back up in there?

Here is a pic of of an SS on here thats has the CME how it should look

Here is a pic of mine

My car is still under factory warrenty do you think I could bring it to the dealer and tell them that the exhaust tips hang low and have them fix it? Do you think they would notice that the GMMG was aftermarket and not fix it? Are there tighter exhaust hangers you can buy that will make it hang a little higher.

First off shoot the installer. LOL

The black car is mine and I spent over 2 hours at the muffler shop working with the installer to get the tips "just right" which required flairing the tail pipes on the GMMG exhaust. This gives you enough adjustment room to tuck the tips up nice and tight. But you will not be able to clamp the elbows to the tail pipes so mine are welded. I also had 2 extra hangers welded on to the very back of my system to support the tips and prevent them from sagging over time.

I havn't tried this as I don't need to but I have seen people get a worm gear hose clamp long enough to go around the stretched rubber hangers and "squish" them together which will raise the exhaust system. You may give that a try at it will be cheap and only take about 10 min to do. If that doesn't work then add another set of hanger to the rear while pushing the system up into the valance opening.

kpowr82 is exactly right that the tab between the tips may break from stress. That is another reason to add the 2 extra rear hangers to support the tips properly. I also welded a 1/4" x 1" aluminum bar across the back of my tips before they were ever installed so they would not crack appart. Just something to think about.

Greg

Old 02-10-2005, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

i bought exhaust hangers that had a clamp on one end and then had a metal bracket that you can attach to a bolt out of you rear bumper.... hard to explain i will get pics when i get home from work... but it worked for me
Old 02-10-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

loosen the clamps at the tips and rotate the tips up. A little here might solve your problem.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

heres the pic of under my car.... kinda hard to c but it worked for me
Attached Thumbnails Center mounts tips hanging a little low(pics)....-newclamp.jpg  
Old 02-13-2005, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

There we go....

Name:  Exhuast003.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  58.1 KB

Old 02-13-2005, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

So how you fix it?
Old 02-13-2005, 01:59 PM

yeah how did you fix it?
Old 02-13-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks great. greg's car is sexy, too
Old 02-13-2005, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1_SS
yeah how did you fix it?
I went with your advise and went ahead and put 3 zipties on each exhaust hanger. Yeah I think it looks so much better, thanks for the idea. Hopefully it will hold up if not, I could always put more zipties on. LOL
Old 02-13-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not use somthing more heat resistant...like a hose clamp..Looks great BTW
Old 02-13-2005, 10:11 PM

those zip ties are heat resistant, myne have been on for over a year and I havent had any problems!!! You wouldn't think something so simple would actually work but it does!!

Quick Reply: Center mounts tips hanging a little low(pics)....