Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Out of Zaino, need new supplies, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 12:42 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to get a car cover (car is carport kept, so still exposed to the elements somewhat) and probably a PC buffer later, but for now I think I'll pick up some stuff from ZaneO's list: Clay Magic claybar, NXT car wash, Meguiar's ScratchX or ColorX, Mother's Reflections wax, and Mother's Showtime Instant Detailer, although I may substitute that Mother's Showtime Instant Detailer for some Duragloss spray detailer that I really like.

Thoughts on the Duragloss spray detailer (very close to Zaino spray detailer I hear) vs. the Mother's stuff?
Old 02-12-2005, 02:47 AM
12 Second Truck Club

An oribtal is the way to go for someone new to detailing. It is MUCH easier to cover an entire car in a short amount of time, attain better results than by hand, and use up to 70% less wax/polish than hand method, and won't risk ruining the paint like a high speed rotary can.

A high-speed rotary when used right will give better results than an orbital can for the simple fact it actually softens to paint due to it's high speed concentrated in a small area. The softening of the paint gets the job done much faster than an orbital can. The drawback is that you really have to learn how to use one and if possible get a lil training for the best results.

IMO the best results will come with both units used together, at least for a newb like me. I am still learning how to use high-speed rotarys and I end up with a lil haze sometimes so I just do a quick onceover with an orbital to fix my goof up.

The biggest thing is to learn which compounds and pads to use and when,

Here is a good site for someone wanting to learn more.

http://www.automotivedetailing.com/articles/buffer.htm

Here is a place to order stuff.

http://detailgear.com/
Old 02-12-2005, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks alot, guys, all of that info. was really helpful.

I'm still up for more advice!
Old 02-12-2005, 09:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slammed-am
I'm gonna polish my car with a 9" Sears buffer tommorow, does anyone have any advice? Any warning of caution?
with a 6" i did this.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:48 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Damn!!!

That is one of the best reflection pics I have ever seen. For clarity anyway. No go do that again but instead of seeing you I wanna see some mountain ranges. LOL
Old 02-12-2005, 09:49 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
Damn!!!

That is one of the best reflection pics I have ever seen. For clarity anyway. No go do that again but instead of seeing you I wanna see some mountain ranges. LOL
LOL.....
Old 02-12-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks alot, guys, all of that info. was really helpful.

I'm still up for more advice!

what do you want to know?
Old 02-12-2005, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

what is scratch x or color x? how do you use it?
Old 02-12-2005, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93BlackZ28
what is scratch x or color x? how do you use it?
form of polish, but scratch X aint worth ****, color x is ok/
Old 02-12-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

personally I use Klasse All-In-One Paint Protection System with Sealant Glaze. Leaves a damn good reflection...

Old 02-13-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I spent about 4 hours detailing the car today. I used the Sears 9" orbital/oscillating buffer/polisher. It worked great. I can't fork out the cash for a porter cable, so it will do.

I washed it well,
claybar,
Good application of cheap Zymol.
Spent some TLC on the Fikse's

It looks pretty good. i did't realize you could literally spend ALL day detailing your car, if you had the time.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:21 AM

Are all random orbital buffers created equal? 6" or 10"? If it has one speed, what is a good speed to have (2,500 RPMs)? Also, what are some good compounds to use to remove scratches and swirl marks (Finess-It II, Scratch X, etc)?

If I picked up some 3M Finess It II and Cleaner or Meguiar's No. 9 and No. 7, and used either with some NXT and my Duragloss spray detailer and some microfiber towels, using a 6" or 10" random orbital buffer for the most part would I get good results do you think? Advanced Autoparts has a 6" or 10" for $20, random orbital 2500 RPM. Would I also use the buffer to remove the polishes/waxes or should I use the microfiber towels for that?

Last edited by josh99ta; 02-13-2005 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:24 AM
12 Second Club

Well I spent about 4 hours detailing the car today. I used the Sears 9" orbital/oscillating buffer/polisher. It worked great. I can't fork out the cash for a porter cable, so it will do.

I washed it well,
claybar,
Good application of cheap Zymol.
Spent some TLC on the Fikse's

It looks pretty good. i did't realize you could literally spend ALL day detailing your car, if you had the time.
Pics?
Old 02-13-2005, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93BlackZ28
Pics?
Unfortunatley, no. My mom jacked the Digi. camera for her trip to Dallas. Pluse it's raining here, so I'm hesitant to even take the car out of the garage. I'll get some pics up ASAP, for ya.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:01 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by josh99ta
Are all random orbital buffers created equal? 6" or 10"? If it has one speed, what is a good speed to have (2,500 RPMs)? Also, what are some good compounds to use to remove scratches and swirl marks (Finess-It II, Scratch X, etc)?

If I picked up some 3M Finess It II and Cleaner or Meguiar's No. 9 and No. 7, and used either with some NXT and my Duragloss spray detailer and some microfiber towels, using a 6" or 10" random orbital buffer for the most part would I get good results do you think? Advanced Autoparts has a 6" or 10" for $20, random orbital 2500 RPM. Would I also use the buffer to remove the polishes/waxes or should I use the microfiber towels for that?
they are ok buffers should get he job done, i used mine to apply and take it off and what it didnt get and the residue i got off with the microfibers.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 04BlackGmc
with a 6" i did this.
ok i need details..........i want my 03 ecsb to have as good reflection as that. i have never used a buffer but after seeing that i will learn! i have the dark gray and it needs that good of a look!
Old 02-13-2005, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by diehardchevy
ok i need details..........i want my 03 ecsb to have as good reflection as that. i have never used a buffer but after seeing that i will learn! i have the dark gray and it needs that good of a look!
Just takes time and effort..

I did the truck step by step for about 2 hours a day for 3 days.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:08 PM

I picked up a 6" 120V AC 2,600 RPM random orbital buffer. So this will get the job done? It has the main foam pad then two pad covers that seem to be terry cloth, one which is more nappy like a wash mit and one which is more fine like a applicator pad. Which do I use to put on the polish/wax and which do I use to remove it?

Also, I picked up some NXT car wash, Meguiar's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, Color X, and NXT Tech wax. I am also going to pick up some 3M Finess It II. The idea is the wash the car with Dawn to strip all the old stuff off, then clay it, wash again with NXT wash, Finess It II, Deep Crystal Paint cleaner, Color X, then NXT wax. Sound like a good step-by-step or should I change the order somewhere?

Thanks again for all the help and any more guys. I'm new to this buffer stuff as well as these steps. Normally I just wash the car with Z7 and then put on Z5 or Z1. Never used a scratch remover on the whole car or any type of cleaner or color enhancer, much less a buffer.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by josh99ta
I picked up a 6" 120V AC 2,600 RPM random orbital buffer. So this will get the job done? It has the main foam pad then two pad covers that seem to be terry cloth, one which is more nappy like a wash mit and one which is more fine like a applicator pad. Which do I use to put on the polish/wax and which do I use to remove it?

Also, I picked up some NXT car wash, Meguiar's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, Color X, and NXT Tech wax. I am also going to pick up some 3M Finess It II. The idea is the wash the car with Dawn to strip all the old stuff off, then clay it, wash again with NXT wash, Finess It II, Deep Crystal Paint cleaner, Color X, then NXT wax. Sound like a good step-by-step or should I change the order somewhere?

Thanks again for all the help and any more guys. I'm new to this buffer stuff as well as these steps. Normally I just wash the car with Z7 and then put on Z5 or Z1. Never used a scratch remover on the whole car or any type of cleaner or color enhancer, much less a buffer.
The orbital buffer I used looked to be about 10-15 years old and worked like a charm. I applied the wax/cleaner with the foam pad (a thin coat) and took it off with the softer terry pad. My guess is, if you have a thicker coat of wax, use the thicker terry pad.

Your process sounds good. (Lengthy, though, heh.)

My view is, as soon as you Dawn and claybar the car well, you can do anything with it.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:21 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Originally Posted by 04BlackGmc
form of polish, but scratch X aint worth ****, color x is ok/

Scratch X works great, if you apply it properly.

Quick Reply: Out of Zaino, need new supplies, suggestions?