Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

VFN or Glasstek 4" cowl

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VFN or Glasstek 4" cowl

What's the difference if any, between these two cowl hoods??
Old 02-17-2005, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

very little difference but vfn is currently developing the sunoco camaro hood to be released next month in case you havn't heard.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:30 AM
FormerVendor

There are quite a few differences between our parts and the other (non sponsor) company - the sponsorship of ls1tech (or any organization) is one large difference...no ls1 discount purchasing a hood thru them
now onto the hoods:
the other company uses bondo (body filler) to attach their bolt on frames to the underside of the hood. not only is this NOT the strongest method availabe to attach the frame, but it also adds additional weight onto the hood. their hoods generally weigh in around 30-35lbs....you will have to use pins in the front of your bolt on hood along with your latch - to make sure that the hood does not fly up on you. many of their hood scoops do not have a lip on the bottom side of the back of the scoop - which causes the scoop to sag in the middle after a period of time. I have seen customers at the track with rods in the center of their cowl hood scoop to keep the scoop from sagging down....
customer service? to be honest, i'm unsure if they have any...we have heard from many of their prior customers - for example: there was one who said he ordered a chevelle hood, they sent the customer a nova (or monte carlo) hood.....when he called and explained his problem, they told him they would not accept the hood back - to make it fit - how do you make a different make of hood fit your car?
We do not use body filler to attach our frames to the hoods - which allows us to make stronger/lighter hoods. We add steel provisions to both the hinge, struts and front latch areas - unless you are going over 120-130mph, you should not need to use additional pins in the front of your hood. Our hoods do not sag or warp over time - I have heard/seen many of our hoods on customers (and employees - myself included) that have stood the test of time without any problems. I have had a cowl hood on my car for about 4 years now, without any problems at all......We have good customer service - any problems that may occur, we do not run or tell customers to make stuff work - we work with the customer to resolve the problem.
I'm not here to bash any companies - there are other good reputable companies out there - some that sponsor ls1 (rex at ascd - he makes a good product) and others that do not....if you decide not to go with our company - you can pm me and i can give you some other options...
Thanks.
Jeanie

Quick Reply: VFN or Glasstek 4" cowl