Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How do you remove swirls with a orbital buffer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you remove swirls with a orbital buffer?

I have a nice orbital buffer that I purchased. I have a black z and it has a few areas with swirls. What is the procedure to remove swirls? what color foam pad(white, yellow, black)? best swirl remover compound? required buffer rpm setting? should you move the buffer from side to side , figure eight, etc?

I purchased some finesse it III. Should this be used a the final sealant or as a fine cut compound before you apply glaze/wax?
Old 04-09-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some info on the type buffer you bought would help. I wouldn't recommend using anything that's not a DA type like the Porter Cable if you don't have much experience, cause you run the risk of burn through the paint and creating more swirls than you have now.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

I purchased a-

Porter Cable 7424 6" Variable-Speed Polisher

http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polishers.html
Old 04-09-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Best advice I can give would be to read the sticky up top, and do what works best for you. I usually start out working the polish in a side to side, and up and down action, than as it starts to dry, I'll go into a figure 8 pattern. I'm sure ZaneO will chime in when he sees the thread and probably offer some more advice. FWIW, make sure to tape off all the trim around where you'll be buffing cause it'll save you lots of headaches in the end from the buffer coming in contact with the plastic trim.

As far as the 3M products I don't know what to tell you on that, cause I use different products. I'm pretty sure the Finesse It 3 is a fine cut compound though. As for machine speed, just keep it between 3-5 on the wheel. Check http://www.autopia.org and just read up there to get some good ideas of how to use the buffer.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shep28
I have a nice orbital buffer that I purchased. I have a black z and it has a few areas with swirls. What is the procedure to remove swirls? what color foam pad(white, yellow, black)? best swirl remover compound? required buffer rpm setting? should you move the buffer from side to side , figure eight, etc?

I purchased some finesse it III. Should this be used a the final sealant or as a fine cut compound before you apply glaze/wax?

My go to product for swirls is Menzerna/3M Rubbing Compound. If your using a PC you can buy the LakeCountry pads 6" the orange should do just fine in removing swirls. You can go in which ever direction you want, you wont burnish the paint at all since teh orbital orbits (duh) anyway. On my SMR process on a pc im usually at speed 6.

The Finess it is ok but it may gum up if the paints too warm. Its good for removing holograms but its mainly for removing scratches but it works ok. Im not too sure if youll get any hazing from using the PI III but if you do just go over it with a slightly mild abrasive like 3M's machine glaze. The PI III is more of a light cutting polish. If all your using is 3m you can go in this order
PI III, PI III Machine Glaze then top with what ever it is you want to use i.e. Zaino, 3M, Meguiars etc.
But your process should be as follows
wash, clay, polish, glaze, wax/seal.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would not use a rubbing compound just yet. Try other things like the Menzerna first. The rubbing compound would be a last resort, as it is the harshest polish you can put to a car.

I have no personal experience with the Menzerna yet, but everyone who is experienced with it seems to love it. They reccommend the Menzerna Intensive Polish then Final Polish over that-then use glaze, then seal it with a good carnuba. Read the writeups on autopia and here for application.

I made a post about 1 week ago about the best products, as I had the problem of swirl marks coming back.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie

http://www.properautocare.com/usporcabpol.html

I found this write-up extremely helpful. My one little bit of advice: use the least abrasive product that gets the job done. Why use a heavy cut polish or compound when a mid or light cut would work? Try a lightly abrasive product and pad first, and if that doesn't get the job done, get more aggressive.

Just my $0.02.

-Mike

Quick Reply: How do you remove swirls with a orbital buffer?