Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

spider cracking paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spider cracking paint

i have noticed these spider cracking paint in front of my car next to the foglights and on the back bumper. the paint seems to be smooth but you can see the cracking in the paint. i heard about the 6 year 100,000 mile warrenty on paint. will they cover this. also my front bumper's clear coat is pealing off in one little section, would this be covered?
Old 04-23-2005, 08:52 AM
10 Second Club

If that warrenty is true, peeling should be covered but the spider cracks may not. Have you ever had the bumper off the car? Those spider cracks are from flexing, infact if your working on the car, just leaning on the nose in certain spots can make them. Mine has some be the inner corner of each headlight. The dealer might consider them normal wear and tear.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

is that 6 year warranty still true is you yourself didn't purchase the car new?

just wondering, i'm the 3rd owner on my TA, but I might beable to sweet talk the dealership into fixing it....but i bought the car from a private seller
Old 04-23-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have them all around the nose emblem of my car and on my back bumper. In both cases, it was a direct result of someone "pushing" into my car... no major damage, but regardless made each bumper flex as one of the posters above said. And let me tell you, getting rid of spider cracks is NOT fun. I wet sanded my front bumper down to the point that it was smooth as a baby's butt, after painting and such, a few months later and they seemed to just "float" back to the surface. Personally, I know it's a little extreme, but I'm just buying a new front and rear bumpers off ebay.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

thats what i'm afraid of if i take it to a dealer, they will send it out and the shop will just wet sand it, and it'll come back.

i'd want them to strip it down and do a total repaint on the nose
Old 04-23-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I don't mean to scare anyone, I'm a complete n00b at body work, so for all I know I could've done something wrong that caused it to resurface, but it came back on my car.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

The spider webs are stress cracks. Either the panal has twisted or been pressed on. I had them on the fenders. You cannot wet sand them out. They will return. I had a great body shop sand mine all the way down and respray the car basically.

The shop also used a clear from I believe PPG that is a flexible clear. I'm sure plenty of companies, if not all, have a flexible clear coat available.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by meissenation
I have them all around the nose emblem of my car and on my back bumper. In both cases, it was a direct result of someone "pushing" into my car... no major damage, but regardless made each bumper flex as one of the posters above said. And let me tell you, getting rid of spider cracks is NOT fun. I wet sanded my front bumper down to the point that it was smooth as a baby's butt, after painting and such, a few months later and they seemed to just "float" back to the surface. Personally, I know it's a little extreme, but I'm just buying a new front and rear bumpers off ebay.
There is no need to buy new bumpers. A good shop should be able to fix for around 200 or less. I have alway had an Idea about trying to fix them.

Here goes. Wet sand with 1200, get extremely clean. Then use a good heat gun and burn the paint. Wet sand again with 1500 and polish/wax. I wonder what this attack would have on small spider webs. If anyone has the *****/time and the spider webs of course and are just about to repaint...try it---see what happens.

Could be a dumb idea, but then again, don't knock it till you try it!!!
Old 04-23-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the bumpers on ebay could be under 100 each, and then paint, so it definitely would be a very very extreme way of fixing the problem, but then ya got yourself all new bumpers.

Quick Reply: spider cracking paint