Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Checking out the checkered decals at 3rdgendecals....couple questions....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 02:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking out the checkered decals at 3rdgendecals....couple questions....

After seeing those awesome pics in the white SS post, I checked out the link to the 3rdgendecals place that does the stripe kits. I'm guessing that's where most of the people here take their business. Are those checkered areas a bitch to keep clean? Does it start to peel and flake at the corners from washing? Do you guys just wax right over the stripes? I put a 2nd gen TA style bird on my 3rd gen Firebird and it looked cool, did it myself....but it started to peel up at the edges and was a pain to clean. I dunno if part of the problem was it never being on perfect to begin with (decent job, but my first try nonetheless) or if that's just the price you pay for decals. I had got my Bird from autografix, so it may vary from place to place too.

Also, what are your takes on stripes on a car without the SS hood? I was looking at a few pics of this in the gallery and I'm kinda mixed and go back and forth whether I like it depending on what color scheme I'm looking at. Thanks for any info.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Ive had mine on the car for over a year now and havent had a problem with them yet. I dont have to do anything special to keep them clean, and I havent noticed any build up . I just wax right over them and havent had any problems with them peeling up or flaking. I had them put on at a body shop though I wasnt going to try and attempt it myself.

In my opinion I dont think they look right on a car with out a SS hood. But another way to look at it is its your car and do what you like.. nobody else has to drive it..
Old 05-04-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont have stripes myself but I agree with ArticZ in that they only look right on cars with the SS hood, but do whatever you think looks best.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cool, I'd probably have a shop apply it perfect then and that what would probably be the difference. It was not a bad app at all considering it is about 6 pieces that have to line up and it was my first decal job ever, but I definately had to tweak it a little bit and a couple corners where never perfect and only got worse. Enough that I'd be pissed about it on my Z.

I'll probably save up towards the hood then. I LOVE that look but like I've mentioned when we were discussing this before I know aftermarket hoods can be REALLY hit or miss, and so can a body shop's job at painting one panel to match the rest of a car. I also don't want to stray outside the boundaries of good taste and didn't know the verdict on SS hoods on Z28's, or upgrading the hood to SS and not the spoiler, etc. I think as long as you stop short of rebadging it's all fair game though.

Quick Reply: Checking out the checkered decals at 3rdgendecals....couple questions....