Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dangers of using a Claybar? another paint consern

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dangers of using a Claybar? another paint consern

Are there any? I have not used one before should I be worried? Can they be used more then once?-I plan on going with Mother's Claybar.

Also, I've noticed on the front Fascia what looks like rock chips. Is there great way to get rid of these, like touchup paints/fillers etc? If so what would i get for my NavyBlueMetallic WS6? Theres also Minor scratches that I would really like to get rid of so any advise would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks fellas
Old 05-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

Just be sure to keep the surface lubricated, water is fine. And don't drop it on the ground, everything sticks to it. I made that mistake before, LOL

Might be best to use some dish soap to wash the car so you can strip any wax on there so the claybar can work the best

for the minor scratches, try some 3M Rubbing Compound
Old 05-08-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

No dangers to using claybar, aside from what jehovasfitness said about dropping it.

As for rock chips, you can get some touch-up paint from your local dealership. Paint code for NBM is Code 29, WA353E. Application is a little tricky, unless you want the rock chip spots to look like "HEY! I PUT TOUCH UP PAINT RIGHT HERE!" The key is really thin layers of paint. Get as much paint off the applicator brush as possible, then just lightly touch a layer of paint on the spot. Keep layering until it is just about the same level as the surrounding area, then get some clear touch-up on it using the same technique. I've got a few that I did and they aren't obvious, but I know where they are, so they stand out to me. For best results, consult a professional.

-Mike
Old 05-08-2005, 12:50 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard some people use toothpicks or pin-heads to apply smaller amounts of touch-up paint Haven't tried it myself yet.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:58 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by ACW
I've heard some people use toothpicks or pin-heads to apply smaller amounts of touch-up paint Haven't tried it myself yet.
That's what I always do. You'd probably be (or maybe not? lol) surprised at how much T/U can be contained on the end of a flat headed toothpick. JM $.02

Brad
Old 05-09-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

clay bars are worry free. just use lots of lube, and as metioned,,,don't drop it!
if this is the 1st time you have used it. some pointers.
wash the car (of course)
lube the surface,
rub the paint till the paint feels totally smooth through the clay bar.
(depending on the condition of your paint may take more effort than expected)
polish, then wax.
will make a big difference, trust me
Old 05-09-2005, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

I used Mother's detailing spray as a lubricant. It's probably not nessecary but that's what Mother's recommends to use and it comes in the kit. A kit can be had for about $20 and comes with the clay bar which can be used 2-3 times depending on the condition of your car, detailing spray, and carnuba Wax. I also applied Scratch-X after using the claybar before waxing.

Like OWENMUSTANG said. It will make a huge difference. Your paint will feel so smooth and shine even brighter than before because you have removed almost all of the contaminants.

You should claybar your car at least once a year. It's a bit of work, but well worth the money and effort.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

aight cool thanks-so what would be best the lubricant or soapy water?

How much lubricant should i use and how hard should i press with the clay? does it like stick to dry surface? and will i need to like mold it somehow or something every so often if things stick to it?.

a lil Off topic this is about after applying I am using Meguaiar's ScratchX, ColorX Polish, and NXT Tech Wax-and also the Mother's Carnauba Wax that comes in the kit
In what order should i use these-and should i use both Waxes?
I can't figure out if i should go (1)1 ScratchX-2 ColorX-3 Mother's (If used at all)-4 NXT Wax
(2) 1 ColorX-2 ScratchX-3 Mother's (If used at all)-4 NXT
(3) 1 ScratchX-2 ColorX-3 NXT-4 Mother's (if at all)
or (4) 1 ColorX-2 ScratchX-3 NXT-4 Mother's (if at all)

Which do you think?
Old 05-09-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
aight cool thanks-so what would be best the lubricant or soapy water?
I use soapy water (either megs car wash, Dawn, or Z7, mixed with water) in a spray bottle

How much lubricant should i use and how hard should i press with the clay? does it like stick to dry surface? and will i need to like mold it somehow or something every so often if things stick to it?.
I use alot, get it really wet, use just the weight of your hand on the clay, DO NOT use it dry you WILL scratch your paint.
When the clay gets dirty, mould it and then flatten it out and get a clean surface to clay with
Handy tip: to see if you have all the contaminents off the paint, put your hand in a plastic baggie, and rub the setion you just clayed, if it feels smooth you're done, if it doesn't, keep claying

a lil Off topic this is about after applying I am using Meguaiar's ScratchX, ColorX Polish, and NXT Tech Wax-and also the Mother's Carnauba Wax that comes in the kit
In what order should i use these-and should i use both Waxes?
I can't figure out if i should go (1)1 ScratchX-2 ColorX-3 Mother's (If used at all)-4 NXT Wax
(2) 1 ColorX-2 ScratchX-3 Mother's (If used at all)-4 NXT
(3) 1 ScratchX-2 ColorX-3 NXT-4 Mother's (if at all)
or (4) 1 ColorX-2 ScratchX-3 NXT-4 Mother's (if at all)

Which do you think?
It'll depend on your paint condition if you use the Scratch X
Personal opinion, don't bother with the NXT, and just use the Carnuba for your topper
If you have alot of swirl marks, you may be better off investing in some Menzerna IP and FP2 (or similar products) and a Porter Cable polisher, to get the swirls out, to perfect the paint before you wax it
It took me 8 hrs to get the swirls out of my black WS6, so it's alot of work, but it's swirl free now

Last edited by 2K2WS6TA; 05-09-2005 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:16 PM
12 Second Club

Well i dont have bad swirls but the scratch X is a precaution-ive done it b4 the polish but unsure if i should put polish first or scratxch X first-Also i polan to use NXT for sure its a great wax one of the better ones ive used-so...would i want to use carnauba before or after it? I would assume before because it seems like aprotectant and shiner more then anything but dont really know?
Old 05-09-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Use the NXT before the wax, NXT is supposed to be a protectant, if you put the wax on first the NXT won't bond to the paint
If you really want to know how to get that NBM to shine and look head on over to www.autopia.org they'll tell you everything you ever wanted to know about getting a clean and shiney car
Old 05-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Wash and claybar first, wax last. Scratch-X and whatever else in between. The Mother's claybar comes with instructions on how to use it.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Do not fear the claybar, even if you hit a dry spot chances are you won't scratch the paint because it will stick right where it landed. Pick out anything that looks like its loose with a toothpick, roll it and use again. Detail shops use em' until they are black, they still won't scratch. You can use as much pressure as your lubricant will allow (then you arm will shoot out from under you). If you have never used a porter cable before then start with the lowest rpm setting so you don't burn the paint. Sometimes its better to do your first true clean by hand so you know what your paint will stand up to.
Clay bar.
Wash again.
Scratch X.
Wash...again.
Then start your layers of whatever you are using. Make sure you are using the proper towels as well - if you get the ones that say "100% cotton", double check to make sure they aren't made in Pakistan. They do use some polyester fibers in their '100% cotton' and that will scratch! Microfibers are the best, the link to autopia should have an order section for them.
Same deal with your towels as the clay, if you drop it, dump it for another one. It will pick up stuff you can't see that will leave those hair-line swirl marks.

Make sure you let the paint 'rest' between coats of *everything*. If you can space it out over a week you will have a better finish than trying to slap everything on at once.

just ¢2 more...
Old 05-10-2005, 06:21 AM
12 Second Club

why wash after Scratch X?
Old 05-10-2005, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Because it's abrasive, and may put some minor scratches in your paint
Old 05-12-2005, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

ScratchX says to apply and remove with a dry cloth-i dont understand how it will scratch...it didnt seem like it scratced before when i did scratch X ColorX and NXT Wax

This is the order I was planning on-unless this scratch X does scratch
Wash, Clay, wash, ColorX, ScratchX, Mothers, NXT

if not liek that-then

Wash, Clay, wash, ScratchX, (wash?), ColorX, Mothers, NXT

Which do you think guys
Old 05-12-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

This is what I would do (if you're just going to use the scratch X on certain spots)
wash, clay, rinse, scratch X, wash, NXT, Mothers
Put the carnuba (mothers) on top of the polymer (NXT) or it won't bond to the paint
FYI if you have one, dry your car with a leaf blower, eliminates ANY chance of scratching the finish with a towel
Old 05-13-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
This is what I would do (if you're just going to use the scratch X on certain spots)
wash, clay, rinse, scratch X, wash, NXT, Mothers
Put the carnuba (mothers) on top of the polymer (NXT) or it won't bond to the paint
FYI if you have one, dry your car with a leaf blower, eliminates ANY chance of scratching the finish with a towel
My neighbors thought I was nuts using the leaf blower to dry the car between washes and coats.
Now I notice they are doing it on their daily drivers

If I ever catch anyone using a sponge to wash their car they will get slapped into next week. Nothing will scratch the paint faster than a sponge in a cheap bucket with cold hose water.
Tepid tap water in a bucket only for washing *that* car!

Quick Reply: Dangers of using a Claybar? another paint consern