Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fast intake is on the way! Now what is the best way to paint the ugly thing,lol

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fast intake is on the way! Now what is the best way to paint the ugly thing,lol

Hey guys, like the topic said, it is on the way but i really want to paint it. What is the best method to use and what color do you think i should paint it? My car is silver (ofcourse) and my wife wants me to paint it red. The only thing is i have a set of the red billet fuel rails on the way as well. I will have the NW throttle body also. So what color do you think will be best and what paint will stand up to the heat and still stick to the intake? I read where some people are sanding theirs and it works out pretty good but i cant make up my mind. Thanks for the help guys. Charles
Old 05-09-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

id say to sand it with a fine grit and then spray it with a hitemp paint...like the one used on the calipers.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say the rough finish would give the paint more of something to stick to. I've always used the high temp gloss on my aluminum intakes and they have held up fine. The composite intake dosen't get very hot, so temp shouldn't be of the highest concern. I'd worry more about prepping it. Be sure to use a good primer first, then paint, then clear if you want to.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i sanded the whole thing down. then i painted it with the krylon fusion plastic paint. looks sweet.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sanded mine smooth and removed the letters. I had mine sprayed by my bodyman...he sprayed it with seven coats of sandable primer first to make it perfectly smooth, then he shot it with standard base coat/clear coat...the manifold doesn't get hot enough to require high-temp paint...IMO. There are some pics of mine in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/312591-smoothed-painted-fast-90mm-intake-nasty-billet-rails-mock-up-pics-56k-warning.html
Old 05-10-2005, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
I sanded mine smooth and removed the letters. I had mine sprayed by my bodyman...he sprayed it with seven coats of sandable primer first to make it perfectly smooth, then he shot it with standard base coat/clear coat...the manifold doesn't get hot enough to require high-temp paint...IMO. There are some pics of mine in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312591
correct. no need for high temp anything, if you want it smooth you will need to spray primer. i did not primer mine, i smoothed mine with 600 sandpaper, cleaned it very good and sprayed a paint promoter(Bulldog) to make the paint stick, shot about 4 coats of paint and 4 coats of clear.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys, i cant wait to see the brown truck coming up the driveway. i guess i will have to get some sandpaper and get to work.