Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painting air lid. Have a few ??s

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting air lid. Have a few ??s

I'm getting ready to paint my air lid. It doesn't fit in with my engine bay. I want to paint the lid charcoal and then have a red bird in the center. A bird about the same size as the front bumper. Should I paint the lid 1st and try to buy a decal and use it as a mask and then paint the lid charcoal. How hard would it be to peel off the decal to show the red bird? Would it work at all? I guess I could just get a red decal but I want a different color red so I figure it would be better to just use paint.

Any ideas would be great.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd try to get a reverse of the decal. the decal shops have to peel that part off anyways, so i bet you could find that, or have it made.

be sure and let the lid dry very well before trying that though, vinyl decals are pretty sticky.

Sand the lid down as smooth as you want..., wipe with thinner/alcohol, prime/ thin coat of paint several times. dont try to cover the lid with just one quick application.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

i took off my front bumper plate cover, went over it with paper and pencil, the bird came out, then i cut out the bird with a razor blade and used that at a tracing. worked pretty good just make sure u have it pressed onto the airlid tight when u spray it
Old 05-27-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Brandon
I'd try to get a reverse of the decal. the decal shops have to peel that part off anyways, so i bet you could find that, or have it made.

be sure and let the lid dry very well before trying that though, vinyl decals are pretty sticky.

Sand the lid down as smooth as you want..., wipe with thinner/alcohol, prime/ thin coat of paint several times. dont try to cover the lid with just one quick application.

that was my 1st idea but I wasn't sure how well it would work after I painted the lid. I was worried that it might mess up the paint. I might give it a try. It sure can't hurt anything.

If it doesn't work I'll give the paper a try

Quick Reply: Painting air lid. Have a few ??s