Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clay Bar.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clay Bar.

How good do these work? I have the silver TA. Should I just spend the 15 dolla or would it work better on a black car
Old 05-31-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is for any car. The clay bar will work wonders, especially if you have never used it. Run your hand across your hood, it will feel a little grainy. Now rub the clay bar across it a few times and it will be so smooth. It is a good investment for maintaining paint.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Clay bars work good on anything. What they do is take out imbedded contaminates in your paint. If you ever rub your hand across your car and it feels kinda gritty, even after you just washed it, you need to clay bar. It will make your paint as smooth as glass. On that note, it also works great on glass, so don't forget to claybar your windshield and windows too. The main thing to remember when claybarring is to use plenty of lubricant, there is no such thing as too much, keep the car wet with whatever you use for your lube while you work the bar. Also if you EVER drop the clay on the ground YOU MUST THROW IT AWAY!!! The 10 second rule does not apply here like it does for a cheetoe. So tear off small peices of the clay bar to use because you probably will drop one at some point and don't wanna throw away the whole thing. As it gets dirty, just kneed it to a clean part and keep going. Hope this helps
Old 06-05-2005, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

WOW!! I just Finished earlier today. I am Super Impressed the whole car just feels like glass. I am sold. My mom came out to check it out and she asked when I am gonna use it on her car. Thanks for the advice. Oh and I used about have the mothers spray wax for the whole car.

P.s I'll submit new pics
Old 06-05-2005, 02:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

awesome congrats on finding the clay bar. :p I love the way they make a car look....I always finish up with a coat of wax cause the clay car usually strips all contaminates off the paint including previous wax. So for the extra protection wax afterwards.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 8GTOKLR
How good do these work? I have the silver TA. Should I just spend the 15 dolla or would it work better on a black car

It has nothing to do with color... when you wash you car you can only get so much off. this gets everything off. The first time I ever did this and went back and felt it I had never felt my finish so smoooth... Like it say makes your car feel like glass. It's total worth it and you only have to do it every other month or so to keep the results.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Stupid question here but after you finish clay baring the area do you wipe off the excess lubricant or just leave it on and wash the car when your done? I did it before and i left the lubricant and when i went to wash the car it was a pain in the *** to come off. It wasn't in the sun either, but i live in Houston so the humidity might have been able to do something to it. Thanks for any help
Old 06-05-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wipe off the detailer after I get finished with a section, with a microfiber towel. Then I wax after that. I know alot of people wash the car after clay barring and then dry and procede with wax and that's fine too, just seems like alot of unessary work, when all you have to do is wipe the car down, while you claybar. Now if you use the car wash and water in a spray bottle instead of quick detailer, obviously you need to rewash.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Where can you buy a clay bar? Autozone or O'reiley's?
Old 06-05-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

either of the above. Pretty much any auto parts store. I use the Meguiars, it comes with the clay and a bottle of detailer for $9.99 and they carry it at O'reilleys. You can get the Mother's at Autozone or Advance for like $15.99, it comes with clay, bottle of detailer, and some cleaner wax. I don't use Mother's wax so I went with Meguiars, I use pretty much all Meguiars products on my car anyway.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Yup.. any autoparts store, and even some of the polish places like Zaino and Tropi-Care.

To be honest there isn't much difference between brands so go with the cheaper one *shrug*

BTW.. Do NOT use Windex as a lube, yeah it works better than detail spray but it dissolves the clay. And when you are done with the clay, spray it down with lube and put it in a ziploc so you can use it again

I love the way it works on my car, even gets rid of stubborn rubber flecks
Old 06-05-2005, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 30birdy
BTW.. Do NOT use Windex as a lube,
Windex has ammonia in it I thought. I don't think you ever want that near your paint.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've never heard of anyone using windex for a lube before, but yea I would definatly stay away from that. I don't use Windex for anything on my car at all. Always use products made for automotive paint, then you don't have to worry about it.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

the lube only keeps the bar from sticking, i dont use it since i get a nice smooth rythm going, but its not a necessity.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:23 PM
Launching!

So what steps should you take if you have a free afternoon to do all of this. please correct me if im wrong?
1. Wet cars and tires
2. Clean wheels and tires
3. Wash car
4. dry
5. clay bar
6. wash and dry again
7. polish
8. sealent
9. wax

is this right?
Old 06-05-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

^^correct, dont forget the interior you bum, jk.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

the lube only keeps the bar from sticking, i dont use it since i get a nice smooth rythm going, but its not a necessity
I have to disagree about using lube. You need to ALWAYS use plenty of lube and keep the area wet as you work the bar. If you try to use a clay bar dry IT WILL mar up your paint and is going to be very difficult to use as well. PSYKO maybe you have some kind of trick, but I have never heard of anyone using a claybar with out some kind of lubricant?
Old 06-05-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Your going to wash it afterwards so any small streaks left you will take off, but I never even leave a single smudge. I cant explain what I do but it turns out perfect everytime and I have been praised for the way it turns out on different cars everytime. Im not saying dont use lube, I just do it and it works great. My dad told me the same thing then I showed him and he was quiet afterwards, lol. I have never heard of anyone not using lube either til i decided to do it.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey, if it works it works can't argue with results.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lube it If you Love it

Quick Reply: Clay Bar.