Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

washing a car.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default washing a car.

I plan on give my WS6 a complete make-over this weekend and im trying to get all the stuff I need and want to make sure im doing it right. now to strip of the previous layer of wax I hear to use dawn because of its high alkalide ( I think thats how you spell it) is this ok? are there better products out there to get rid of the wax. Next I am going to get a complete Zanios kit for my B-day, but thats not till the end of july cant convince the wify. but for now I have some products that work really well I use the NXT meguires and I really like this stuff, cant wait to use zainos though!!! So let me see if I have the steps right

1. Clean interior
2. Wet car and tires and wheels
3. clean wheels and tires
4. wash car with dawn and rinse
5. dry
6. claybar
7. wash car with car wash
8. polish
9. sealent
10.wax

Is this the correct order to do things? Also what is a good polish and sealent that I can get from like a wal-mart or autozone or something like that? also is it best to use polish with a buffer or by hand? or is a sealent better with a buffer or by hand. I prefer to wax by hand so I dont mind all the elbow grease. Thank you for all the input!!!!
Old 06-08-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Order is good, but one thing. Wash car first, before washing wheels and tires. Wheels and tires hold much more dirt and grit that will scratch paint. I use NXT, its a great product!!
Old 06-08-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save the Dawn wash until you get your Zaino (get it now but don't use till you have the Z in your hands)
Your steps look good to me
For a polish, depends on the condition of your paint (and to a certain extent the color darker colors show more defects) I use Menzerna Intensive polish, followed by the Menzerna Final Polish 2, applied with a Porter Cable random orbit buffer, using an orange pad with the IP, then a blue pad for the FP to get rid of the swirl marks, and removed with a microfiber towel
Wax over the sealant is really a personal choice, some say it gives the paint more wamth, others don't notice a difference, up to you.
FWIW I'd keep doing what you're doing, with whatever products you're using, until you get the Zaino kit then do the Dawn wash, etc, etc.
Remember 90% of a spectacular finish is in the prep
BTW what color is your car?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

don't forget the sunscreen! , I spent all day cleaning my car last weekend and got toasted!
Old 06-09-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't dry your car before you claybar. The water lubricates the clay. I'd also wash body quickly once you claybar to get get rid of some of its residue. Just a real quick once over.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

the sealant should be your wax. so 9 and 10 are the same.

i would not polish a car by hand, its just too hard. pick up a porter cable 7336 , runs about 100$.. but it will make up for its work over time. then get some quality polishes like ssr2.5 and ssr1 (super swirl remover) by poorboys. the only off the shelf item i use is nxt wax, which is a very nice sealant.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:35 AM
Launching!

A lot of people don't do it, but its a really good idea to have two different wash buckets. A soap and a rinse. This helps keep more of the loose dirt away from the soapy water. If you have any shows in mind for the near future, it may be a good idea to at least do a quick clean on the engine. I still do all my polishing and waxing by hand, but if you have any decent amount of swirl marks, the buffer may be the way to go. Once the paint is in the condition that you want it, just maintain it.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

Also, try to have seperate sponges/brushes for below the trim line. If you really want to go the extra mile, have another sponge for the tires/wheels. Just like start up top of the car and work your way down. BTW, waxing by hand aint bad at all on these cars.....there not big or anything. If you can do it in shade or in a garage, thatll help yourself from dyin in the sun. Personally, i prefer Liquid Glass over other store bought waxes, but Zaino is the best. Liquid will work perfrect though, and it aint as much as the Zaino kit. POST PICS
Old 06-09-2005, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Before you clay the car, get some bug and tar remover and do the heavy areas with that first this way you don't totally contaminate your clay. Also if you've never clayed before, be sure you have the area well lubricated with soapy water and use light pressure. No need to press real hard on the clay for it to work. I made the mistake of not using enough lubricant and pressed way too hard and had clay residue all over my car, though I ruined the paint and was a total bitch to get off. I use this bug and tar remover which is clear, can't remember the brand but it's in a black and white bottle and is water like in color and viscosity, more of a solvent based product. Just my 2cents...

Oh, you're going to love the Zaino products. They're unbelievable...
Old 06-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Launching!

So whats a good polish that I can get at local store?
Old 06-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Launching!

I only use zaino and meguiars products. I like the professional series meg. products too, but they're a little pricey for all the right ones. I've heard a lot of good about the NXT products from meguiars, but I personally didn't like it. Results weren't bad, but the basic gold class (also meguiars) went on and off a lot easier. Still, for the best results, especially if you're putting the extra time in...use Zaino. I haven't seen a shine yet that beat it without major paint work being done.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:29 AM
Launching!

anyone know where to get a complete Zaneo kit? and how long will it last?
Old 06-10-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ozzykicks2002
anyone know where to get a complete Zaneo kit? and how long will it last?
www.zainobros.com

They'll answer any and all questions...

Quick Reply: washing a car.