Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Formula --> Trans Am Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Formula --> Trans Am Conversion

Ok, I have a 98 Formula I like the look of the Trans Am alot more especially the rear end and now that I have realized there is a difference the front end too although I wouldnt normally replace it the previous owner thought a Firebird could double as a bumper car and cracked my bumper causing the paint to be all F'd up so might as well replaced it too. While I'm sure replacing the front and rear bumpers will be easy , I read someplace that you can't just get a trans am hatch and swap it out with the firebird one, something about the little hydraulic supports not being strong enough, is this true ? The whole thing can't possibly be very difficult. But here is the big question how much do you think it would cost to repaint a hatch, front bumper , and possibly a ram air hood ? This is something I have been thinking about for a while and thought I would get an idea of how much I need to save up before I attempt this
Old 06-14-2005, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the midst of this conversion too. I have decided just to mount everything and have the car repainted. So all the paint will match. I have a TA hatch and seen friend mount them and never seen any of them have problems with it.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

ok well i would say i have a great amount of knowledge on conversions

I converted my 95 formula into an 02 T/A..... so heres whats up.... you will need new fog light brackets as your fog lights won't be direct fit... (this I read) you will need a new bumper and parking light lamps...The support for the hatch WILL NOT WORK. I still have mine on there an they only work if the car is at about 100*(they are gas power i'm sure you understand why)You will need a new hatch, and your old hatch is about worthless as almost no one has any interest in your current one..... unless you have the equipment to replace glass I suggest buy the hatch with glass or plan on putting new in... I also have to suggest you remember how the hinges fit exactly.. they can look to fit several ways... if you get going to the wrong way you will be confused for hours.... (personal mistake) the sideskirts mount right up on the current body....they come with bolts that go into the fender on the sides.. You do not have these predrilled so you will either have to remove them and mount without or drill some holes... I will recommend you do without as if you mess up the fenders are 250 a pop.. plus paint!!!!.....you will also need a new t/a rear bumper. If you need help on getting everything off let me know... o h yeah the bumper is not near as easy as you think to get off!!!! so good luck... oh one more thing I'm not 100% but i'm sure you need a new absorber as well.. this is all going to cost a few bucks but can be done cheap for the patient on eBay or in the for sale forums. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude i have a perfect, complete Trans Am hatch......glass, raised wing, wiring and all if you want it. Ill sell it dirt cheap if you want it. If your in South Jersey, you can pick it up for 50 bucks.otherwise, ill ship it.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HAWK#549
dude i have a perfect, complete Trans Am hatch......glass, raised wing, wiring and all if you want it. Ill sell it dirt cheap if you want it. If your in South Jersey, you can pick it up for 50 bucks.otherwise, ill ship it.
sent u a pm
Old 06-14-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn...before I bought my car, I would have killed to have a Formula, especially over a Trans Am. Just looks so much cleaner in my opinion.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 8banger
Damn...before I bought my car, I would have killed to have a Formula, especially over a Trans Am. Just looks so much cleaner in my opinion.
especially a hardtop...
Old 06-14-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Formulas are too rare and I like it that way. I wouldnt do it.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I like the look of a T/A with a Formula front bumper.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can someone please tell me what exactly is the difference between the T/A and Formulas? I know that they have the same motor and what not, just looking for the appearance differences. Thanks
Old 06-14-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

The formula is a base firebird with the V8 and other good stuff the Trans Am has.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

trans am has the raised wing and the front bumper, rear bumper, and side skirts.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CATCH ME
trans am has the raised wing and the front bumper, rear bumper, and side skirts.

That also.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

the t/a also had basically everythign standard, while it was mostly options on the formy. if i had a formula, id put the T/A hatch and maybe rear bumpers, but id keep the formy front bumper. a WS9 hood from VFN would complement it nicely
Old 06-14-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would definately keep it as a formy, i see TA's every day but ive only seen 3 LS1 formys in real life
Old 06-14-2005, 09:50 PM
11 Second Club

Default This makes me sad

I own a 98 Formula and The idea of making a clone is kinda sad. Formula owners be proud of what you own. They are rare Compared, They made 594 Black A4 T-top Formula in 98 and i have one of em. They made somewhere in the 4k+ Black Trans Am with the A4. That Aside I did buy the WS6 ram air hood but that is not a attemp to clone. Got it for the Proformence and looks. Otherwise the wing side Skirts and other stuff like bumbers add Weight. If i did it all over again I would of gotta the 98 Formula Conv they only made two that year Or the 1LE Formula 14 Total in 1998. The point is love what you got They are all F-body's and we do all share a Common Interest. I'll put up Pictures of mine Thursday of this week.
Good luck with the Clone Guys
Old 06-14-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

I really just had the idea cuz the paint is SOO bad on the front bumper and needs to be fixed, I will post some close ups of it tomorrow it looks like a crusty old elephants wrinkles

I didnt realize they made so few maybe I will keep the rear end the same, do you know how many hardtop formulas they made in 98 ?
Old 06-15-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Ok here are the pictures of the front bumper, the paint is so ugly and wrinkly it makes me sad...

yet somehow I didn't notice this when I bought the car... although I would have bought it anyway

Old 06-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Teching In

I say definately keep it a Formula. They make the perfect sleeper car. Unless the competition can hear that V8 rumble, they'll think you're just another V6 Firebird. Then you woop their *** and they feel like a retard

I'd love to find myself a Formula when I'm in the market for buying an f-body, although I do kinda like that Trans Am spoiler better....
Old 06-15-2005, 02:34 PM
12 Second Club

i like the formulas better, not to mention i wouldnt want some of the standard features in a t/a like ttops. But i like the look of formulas better, t/a's are so common around here.

Quick Reply: Formula --> Trans Am Conversion