Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 or 4, but i prefer 3
Old 07-11-2005, 03:33 PM
FormerVendor

We've been reviewing the poll's and it looks like #4 is the winner. If everyone is certain that this is the one for you, we can do this. But i'd like to mention that we've been asked to make this hood for quite some time and the one thing we felt makes this hood stand out is the line. A line going to the front of the hood might make it look like any other cowl hood, which is really what were trying to get away from. I am attaching a picture of a standard cowl hood, so it can be compared to this hood. You can view this picture here: http://vfnfiberglass.com/002cams.jpg
The only other difference between the two (sunoco style and cowl) hoods would be that the sunoco style would have a more rounded scoop.
Initally everyone wanted a hood that was unique and unlike any other offerings for the ls1's. The photo shop shows the faint line running smoothly into the thicker bolder line in the center, seeing the hood in person i'm not sure their could be such a smooth transition, but we're pretty good at working those things out, if there is a local person perhaps that can stop by, we can show them, or maybe the people that didn't want the line to extend to the nose could sand it off once they recieve it (as we can go with this option also). We want to make a hood that everyone is happy with, but just want to make sure that once everyone starts recieving their hoods they won't think it looks like a standard cowl and be unhappy. Just some food for thought - before we finish up the project.
Thanks.
Jeanie
Old 07-11-2005, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I like the fact of the sunoco hood being more rounded as opposed to the original cowl being squarish. But the 4th pic show the line meeting the car and the hood is rounded. Which will still make the hood stand out.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vfntech
We've been reviewing the poll's and it looks like #4 is the winner. If everyone is certain that this is the one for you, we can do this. But i'd like to mention that we've been asked to make this hood for quite some time and the one thing we felt makes this hood stand out is the line. A line going to the front of the hood might make it look like any other cowl hood, which is really what were trying to get away from. I am attaching a picture of a standard cowl hood, so it can be compared to this hood. You can view this picture here: http://vfnfiberglass.com/002cams.jpg
The only other difference between the two (sunoco style and cowl) hoods would be that the sunoco style would have a more rounded scoop.
Initally everyone wanted a hood that was unique and unlike any other offerings for the ls1's. The photo shop shows the faint line running smoothly into the thicker bolder line in the center, seeing the hood in person i'm not sure their could be such a smooth transition, but we're pretty good at working those things out, if there is a local person perhaps that can stop by, we can show them, or maybe the people that didn't want the line to extend to the nose could sand it off once they recieve it (as we can go with this option also). We want to make a hood that everyone is happy with, but just want to make sure that once everyone starts recieving their hoods they won't think it looks like a standard cowl and be unhappy. Just some food for thought - before we finish up the project.
Thanks.
Jeanie
I totally agree and I think doing the hood with the same line as every other "cowl" hood isn't the way to go.
The "line" in the front nose isn't really a line anyway..it's more of a crease/fold in the bumper. The stock Z-28 hood doesn't have a line and neither does the SS hood. I just don't think it works. It interrupts the flow of the hood. The sharp line doesn't work with the other smooth lines of the Camaro or the smooth lines of the hood.
I plan to buy this hood and having that #4 line in it ruins it for me. I always intended for it to be a representation of the Sunoco hood....which would be pic #1.
The other problem inherent with an aftermarket hood is alignment. Suppose that line doesn't exactly line up with the front nose crease? Then it will stick out like a sore thumb.
I much prefer the larger more rounded line that is inset 6" from each end of the hood. It just works better. Just my $.02.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

#4 for me too!
Old 07-11-2005, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
I totally agree and I think doing the hood with the same line as every other "cowl" hood isn't the way to go.
The "line" in the front nose isn't really a line anyway..it's more of a crease/fold in the bumper. The stock Z-28 hood doesn't have a line and neither does the SS hood. I just don't think it works. It interrupts the flow of the hood. The sharp line doesn't work with the other smooth lines of the Camaro or the smooth lines of the hood.
I plan to buy this hood and having that #4 line in it ruins it for me. I always intended for it to be a representation of the Sunoco hood....which would be pic #1.
The other problem inherent with an aftermarket hood is alignment. Suppose that line doesn't exactly line up with the front nose crease? Then it will stick out like a sore thumb.
I much prefer the larger more rounded line that is inset 6" from each end of the hood. It just works better. Just my $.02.
The stock Z28 hood DOES have the line.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:47 PM
12 Second Club

I like #1.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
The stock Z28 hood DOES have the line.

Yes, this line is what I was trying to do for pic #4.

Old 07-12-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
i dont have a camaro, so this doesnt apply to me....but he does bring up a good point....
Old 07-12-2005, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

True, so ummmm get a good body shop. Nothing is perfect in this world but at least we can try to get it close to perfect.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:25 AM
FormerVendor

Well we've decided we will produce it with the line at the front like picture #4, (Thanks "Roarin 8" for the Photoshop work!) if anyone doesn't want the line we will remove it for them at no extra charge, just mention when ordering. Thanks To everyone for your vote's!
We currently have two guys on the gp list, is anyone else interested? Because of the many requests recieved, we can run a gp on ALL of our Camaro/TransAm hoods , with a minimum of 10 members - except for newer projects not finished, like the ws9 us exotic style. We'll accept names for the gp until the 28th - if interested, please let me know.
Thanks!
Jeanie
Old 07-13-2005, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Yay for #4 and for the record, it was Arachnotron who did the photoshop work. Thanks to him for that as well.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Hey Jeanie, you can put me down for #4 as well for the GP.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

TTT, I just called VFN to put me on the list for the GP as well. Since there is no thread in the Group purchase section, looks like you guys have to call in to be put on the list. I suggested that they, VFN, put a thread in that section to get more responses.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:52 AM
FormerVendor

Hi Guys.
Sorry about that, I posted a thread on the sponsor sales section for a gp. Got everyone down from this thread that wanted to be put on the list - Thank You!!!
I will be on vacation next week (7-18 thru 7/23), if you require an immediate response, please give us a call at the shop and one of our employees will gladly help you out. I will collect names for the gp until 29th.
Thanks!!
Jeanie
Old 07-17-2005, 03:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

#4 is badass if only I had the money! Being broke SUCKS ***!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Number 4 please and hurry. My Cash is in My Wallet looking for a hood LMOA
Old 07-25-2005, 01:08 PM
FormerVendor

Hi Guys!!
Thanks to everyone who is on the list!!
We're trying to get this finished up so we can get the hoods out to everyone.
Is there anyone in the chicago/suburban area that can bring their car by for a trial fit? We want to make sure that the crease in the front will line up correctly with the crease on the nose.
Please let me know
Thanks!
Jeanie
Old 07-26-2005, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

Anybody?
Old 07-26-2005, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

I'll take pic #4, that front bumper/lip, and a set of those wheels please

Quick Reply: VFN Poll for Sunoco hood