Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Shaker hood ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it would be relatively easy to make it "functional" but the cool thing about those shakers is having it SHAKE! that would be a little more difficult. i'm thinking about how mine is mounted on my '78 and i can't think of any way to have it set up like that on an LT1/LS1 to have it shake with the motor...
Old 01-28-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wonder how the shaker would look on the stock lt1 formula/trans am hood
Old 01-28-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by onefastbird95
Hmmm so are you saying its not functional and basically a decoration while you are using a stock air intake or a cai? Or is it a functional shaker hood? Also what year and model is that shaker scoop off of orignally?
It is just sitting pretty right now. I use a FTRA for CAI, and love it! I researched the number code on the scoop and it came back as 1976, but I think they were identical from 70-76. It works more for a heat vent than than an intake for me. In reality, if GM wanted to use a scoop for intake, they should have pointed it toward the incoming air like the Camaro SS. I am open to converting it to intake in the future, but I wanted to look at it while I figured it out. I really wanted it to shake, but the curve of the hood required that I have too much upward pressure to poke it up high enough. That pressure would dampen any shaking even if it was attached to the block. Besides, my guess is that the LS1 has much less shaking movement than the Poncho motors. Would still be cool to see it torque when kicking it in. I have considered installing a functional vent louver that opens with kick-down just for fun.

For those who have messaged me (thanks), I am writing an illustrated step-by-step install guide on how I did it. It will likely be late February before I complete the guide as I am taking a vacation soon. I will post here when it is done and email it to anyone interested.

I am also interested in giving away the practice hood I used (interested in local pick-up in Raleigh, NC, not shipping). It is a 4th gen flat T/A hood, already cut for a scoop. I needs painted and a couple of dings tapped out (minimal work), but was from a black car.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sdm1234
it would be relatively easy to make it "functional" but the cool thing about those shakers is having it SHAKE! that would be a little more difficult. i'm thinking about how mine is mounted on my '78 and i can't think of any way to have it set up like that on an LT1/LS1 to have it shake with the motor...
It would be tough. The 2nd gen hoods were about flat. The 4th gens are curved downward. If you want it to shake, it needs to not contact the hood, but rather sit free just beneath. The old scoops are not tall enough to clear the hood for a good view. Even the '77-81's scoops sat with a lower profile in the hood. This is why when GM and UAW built the Heritage Trans Am, they modified a scoop and mad it 30 % larger.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Victor Jr. on LS1 with no elbow, throttle body onn top, with old school style filter and shaker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98SS1LWEE
Victor Jr. on LS1 with no elbow, throttle body onn top, with old school style filter and shaker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
u got a link or any pics??
Old 02-03-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Raleigh TA
It would be tough. The 2nd gen hoods were about flat. The 4th gens are curved downward. If you want it to shake, it needs to not contact the hood, but rather sit free just beneath. The old scoops are not tall enough to clear the hood for a good view. Even the '77-81's scoops sat with a lower profile in the hood. This is why when GM and UAW built the Heritage Trans Am, they modified a scoop and mad it 30 % larger.
in 1978, the scoops were built taller than the '77 models. here's a link pertaining to that.
http://www.thepontiactransampage.com/shaker.html

my '78 TA is just as tall as the one in the pic. i know what u mean about not making contact. there's actually a rubber gasket that lines the base of the shakers (kinda like weatherstripping). also, i agree with you that the LT1s and LS1s are not as stout as the ol' big blocks when it comes to idling and overall rumble, so even if it was attatched somehow, it wouldn't really move too much. i LOVE seeing my entire shaker torque over when i step on it, whether its at a stoplight, or slamming into high gear on the highway!

Quick Reply: Shaker hood ?