Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Hood Heat Extractors ... do they work well?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Hood Heat Extractors ... do they work well?

I'm looking at hoods with heat extractors.... i.e., SLP HO, Mecham, Suncoast. Do heat extractors bring the engine temps down enough to warrant spending the money on a new hood? I want to keep it low-profile, but with heat extractors.

Would I be better off just having my current hood fitted with heat extractors at a good custom body shop?
Old 08-25-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you mean louvers? I'm sure it really doesn't do that much. However i have seen a Ultra-Z like hood that had a huge array of gigantic heat extracters hehind the intake.

Overall i'm thinking a cowl hood would offer pretty good cooling. Better than an SS hood at least.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:07 PM
R.I.P. November 11, 2007

I have several hood scoop molds, one beening the Mecham
Style at my shop . We are about ready to sell the hood scoop only so anyone wanting one let me know. Rex

Last edited by rex orr; 08-25-2005 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"you mean louvers? I'm sure it really doesn't do that much. However i have seen a Ultra-Z like hood that had a huge array of gigantic heat extracters hehind the intake."

they are called heat extractors not louvers.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a custom 4 port heat extractor ram air hood done by US exotics. Though mainly for looks and the "bling" factor I do literally see heat radiating out of them at a stoplight. If you would like to see..check the (ccw 19x13 doable?) thread in the wheels/tires section. I definitely wouldn't call it a "performance upgrade" thought, just my .02
Old 08-26-2005, 05:02 AM
TECH Addict

I'm hoping to get a little more life out of this new motor with 'heat extractors' in the hood. This Florida heat index is extremely high for a good part of the year. It makes sense to me that it can eliminate (or at least help with) high engine temperatures and should create good airflow for the motor in traffic jams and redlight-to-redlight traffic around town.

I sorta' want to keep my stock Trans Am hood and keep the car sleeper-looking.

REX, I see you're a sponsor here. Do you ship those moldings in a basic black color? It's probably too much to keep up with all the color variations out there, however, a basic black might be possible????
Old 08-26-2005, 05:13 AM
TECH Addict

rex orr

Not seeing any molds ... only complete hoods ... please provide specific link to your cowl moldings.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:27 AM
R.I.P. November 11, 2007

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
I'm hoping to get a little more life out of this new motor with 'heat extractors' in the hood. This Florida heat index is extremely high for a good part of the year. It makes sense to me that it can eliminate (or at least help with) high engine temperatures and should create good airflow for the motor in traffic jams and redlight-to-redlight traffic around town.

I sorta' want to keep my stock Trans Am hood and keep the car sleeper-looking.

REX, I see you're a sponsor here. Do you ship those moldings in a basic black color? It's probably too much to keep up with all the color variations out there, however, a basic black might be possible????
Hello We are building our first heat extractor hood scoop today we can build them in eithe black or white. It will be a bond on type of scoop. We have many differnt items that are not listed or mentioned on our web site. I really do need to take the time to update it. Sorry about that Rex
Old 08-26-2005, 06:30 AM
R.I.P. November 11, 2007

Originally Posted by rex orr
Hello We are building our first heat extractor hood scoop today we can build them in eithe black or white. It will be a bond on type of scoop. We have many differnt items that are not listed or mentioned on our web site. I really do need to take the time to update it. Sorry about that Rex
I will be offering the complete hood for the several differnt makes and models in the near future.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:31 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it will prolong the life of your engine any by having a heat extractor hood. I know my Mecham hood does let out some heat from the engine bay, but the engine itself will not benefit at all- it is probably still as hot as if it were under a stock hood. $.02
Old 08-26-2005, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Get a Mecham hood. It has 4 heat extractors to start with, then if you wait a while, the sides of the hood begin cracking, allowing more heat to escape!
Rex, are you saying you will make the entire hood with some heat extractors like Mecham's for a TA? At least you guys make quality stuff, not like Mecham.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:07 AM
R.I.P. November 11, 2007

Originally Posted by matt6822
Get a Mecham hood. It has 4 heat extractors to start with, then if you wait a while, the sides of the hood begin cracking, allowing more heat to escape!
Rex, are you saying you will make the entire hood with some heat extractors like Mecham's for a TA? At least you guys make quality stuff, not like Mecham.
Yes we will soon start to make a complete hood. I want to do something different at the base of the heat extractors so as not to let water flow too freely into the engine bay. I will also have a complete smooth underside hood frame in the hood. Rex
Old 08-27-2005, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

I was thinkiing maybe cutting the holes in the hood myself and buying some Mecham-style, black, carbon-fiber extractors to mount in my stock Trans Am hood ... mainly just to allow heat to escape on the hottest of summer days ... don't want to buy another hood. I like the stocker a lot and want to keep my car as sleeper-looking as possible.

It would be somewhat for looks, but, mostly for driving in traffic jams.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by matt6822
elaborate...
Old 08-27-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 93formto98T/A
I had a custom 4 port heat extractor ram air hood done by US exotics. Though mainly for looks and the "bling" factor I do literally see heat radiating out of them at a stoplight. If you would like to see..check the (ccw 19x13 doable?) thread in the wheels/tires section. I definitely wouldn't call it a "performance upgrade" thought, just my .02
just so people know, the pics are on page 5....
Old 08-29-2005, 12:10 PM
R.I.P. November 11, 2007

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
elaborate...
Yes I am thinking of doing the hood for both the T/A and Camaro Can anyone photoshop what they think would be a better idea with the heat extractors? Will do for both cars 93-97 and 98-02 modles Rex
Old 08-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Banned

The heat extractors on my Firehawk hood definately work. Plus it lets out all the high pressure air that builds up under the hood while you're at speed.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rex orr
Did you ever make/offer that hood????

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 08-11-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've done yarn testing at speed.
The front 1/3 of the hood (on LT1 cars) appears to be the only area that is low pressure. Many of the hoods you see have "heat extractors" more towards the rear and that's where there is high pressure. Any hole in that area is going to cause air to rush under the hood. I know it sounds counter intuitive but we need to stop thinking about airflow, and think more about air pressure in these scenarios. Where there is high pressure is at the back half of the hood, especially at the windshield. Any opening in these areas will cause air to rush under the hood.
Putting a small ridge (1/2 inch) at the front of an opening can help create low pressure and let the air escape. You might consider this when designing a heat extraction vent.
Concerning heat leaving the vents at a stop light, this definitely works,heat rises, there is no difference in pressure, so it's going to go right out of any hole in the hood. If not placed properly though it's going to do absolutely nothing... unless your not moving.

Last edited by v7guy; 08-11-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Hood Heat Extractors ... do they work well?
Well let me put it this way, last year when my car got covered with 4" of snow.. After I started up my car and let it sit for about 10 minutes, the hood extractors on my firehawk hood had melted through the snow covering them..

So at least I know that they work pretty well..

Quick Reply: Hood Heat Extractors ... do they work well?