Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

just got my hood painted..

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man its ridiculous some of the shitty buffing some people do and call themselves professionals. ive only been doing it about 6 months and i have never let anything go that looks like that.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stryker14
Well the pits are more than likely solvent pop from laying on the clear too heavy or not allowing enough flash time. Hot weather makes solvent pop a common thing when spraying clear and if not done properly results in what you have. As far as the swirl marks go that is obviously from the poor job of buffing out the clear. I would imagine that a swirl remover polish would do the trick but if it is still apparent you might have to go a little heavier cut and work your way back up. So the swirl marks will come out most likely but those pits that you see will stay, and probably standout once you buff cause they will fill up with the polish.
Listen to the man. He is right about the solvent pop. The paint should be baked once they were done spraying. We can paint a part and color sand/buff it in a day. The entire hood needs to be sanded down and repainted again. The halo marks you are seeing is the shitty buff job. They more then likely sanded the entire thing with 2000 girt. Then used heavy cutter and a wool pad to bring the finish back out. That works well, but puts tons of buff marks/swirls in. They should have gone back over with a yellow foam/heavy cut. Then a black pad with a swirl cutter. Start with the most and go down to the lightest. That can be fixed, but it should have never left the shop like that. I work at a collision repair shop and that BS would not fly. All in all, you got screwed.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

well its going back tomarrow and he said i could wait and that it woudlnt take more than 20 minutes to get it fixed. I dont think he knows what im talking about, this isnt some small dimple, its like ...yeah solvent pop

ill just put little masking tape squares over the problem areas and take it back tomarrow morning after class and see what he does... i am not going to accept this for 560 dollars i dont want any pops or swirls... they might have to redo the entire thing, which woudlnt put me on good terms with anyone there, they will probably never take me back as a customer but ill never go back anyways... i hate being a kid who doesnt look like he knows **** about cars... i always get screwed and then ahve to take **** back and go "hey guys, sorry but im **** about my car and i noticed everything you cut corners on.. fix it" i had to take my car back for its windows to be tinted 3 times because they would scratch it and think oh well hes a stupid kid he wont catch it." god why cant anyone do anything right the first time?! its seriously true, if you want something done right, do it urself...

how hard is it to learn how to paint automotive grade paint... and whats a good general startup cost for equip? i dont want to deal with this crap any more and it would be a good investment, i could do all kinds of stuff with a gun..
Old 09-19-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by darkecho
well its going back tomarrow and he said i could wait and that it woudlnt take more than 20 minutes to get it fixed. I dont think he knows what im talking about, this isnt some small dimple, its like ...yeah solvent pop

ill just put little masking tape squares over the problem areas and take it back tomarrow morning after class and see what he does... i am not going to accept this for 560 dollars i dont want any pops or swirls... they might have to redo the entire thing, which woudlnt put me on good terms with anyone there, they will probably never take me back as a customer but ill never go back anyways... i hate being a kid who doesnt look like he knows **** about cars... i always get screwed and then ahve to take **** back and go "hey guys, sorry but im **** about my car and i noticed everything you cut corners on.. fix it" i had to take my car back for its windows to be tinted 3 times because they would scratch it and think oh well hes a stupid kid he wont catch it." god why cant anyone do anything right the first time?! its seriously true, if you want something done right, do it urself...

how hard is it to learn how to paint automotive grade paint... and whats a good general startup cost for equip? i dont want to deal with this crap any more and it would be a good investment, i could do all kinds of stuff with a gun..
Well you could do a couple things. You can go back and have them fix the buff marks and ask for at least some of your money back for the solvent pop that is on the hood or you could tell them you would like that fixed as well and that would require them reshooting the hood like jargan said. You can't just wetsand solvent pop out and then buff it. It needs to be taken all the way down. So really they shouldnt have a problem with fixing it since it was their fault, but if you are satisfied with a few imperfections you might be able to get the paint job for quite a bit less.
I wouldnt say its hard to learn autobody and paint, but it takes many years till you know all the ins and outs. I went to a technical school for paint and body for about a year and learned quite a bit. A lot of tech sheets and product stuff and basics about doing body work and painting. I have been out of the class for about a year and I can say just being out of the class and actually doing the stuff hands on I have learned just as much. There is a whole lot to learn when it comes to painting that usually doesnt come up until you have already ran into the problem. As easy as it sounds to sand a hood down, spray primer, paint, and clear there is about a hundred other variables that go into painting that hood and making it look good.
Startup cost is hard to say it depends on what you plan on doing. You would obviously need a decent size compressor, and a paint gun which could run you anywhere from $200 for decent one to $450 for a top of the line. If you realistically wanted to paint anything with automotive paint it is a good idea to have a booth to keep the overspray and crap down. A full size booth runs around 20 grand once its all said and done. Or you could just build your own out of some 2X2's, plastic, and some filters. Does a decent job of keeping the crap out. Then you would need all the paint, sand papers, cleaners, and all the small stuff you dont normally think of when it comes to paint. Like I said earlier though, paint and body takes time to learn and even some of the pros run into problems every now and then.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn just show ppl the far away pics
Old 09-19-2005, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by darkecho

Like stryker said, it's not that hard to learn. I'm learning at the shop I work at. It takes some hands on experience, not just reading a book. To do it right you need, compressor, fitting, house, filters, gun, paint, primer, clear, thinner, reducer, hardener, sand paper, tape, paper, plastic to name a few. Unless you take the hood off the car to paint, you must tape up the rest of the car to prevent overspray. Price also depends on the brand of said materials. We use nothing but PPG at the shop I work for.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:08 AM
R.I.P. November 11, 2007

Originally Posted by fa18007
DO NOT WAX IT!!!!!!!!! They are fucktards if they tell you to do that. The paint has to cure first which can be 30-90 days depending on temperature. In th ehot florida sun it can take as little as 30 days. The paint should look perfect after it is freshly painted, not swirlled and blotchy. MAKE THEM DO IT AGAIN! I have had my OEM WS6 hood painted twice now and they used the same paint. It should look brand new.
What he said times 10, You paint needs to cure and release all the solvents form it. If you wax it it can cause the paint to blister. Hope this is not too late. Rex
Old 09-20-2005, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

yeah its too late, i waxed it per the dudes instructions last night, i figure if anything, the paint will turn out bad and then i can get them to redo it.. but im going to follow his isntructions since he said to do it and if i didnt follow those instructions and somethig happend, he would be able to say that i didnt do the proper after painting procedures and therefore its my fault.. so anways, i found more of those little dimple looking things and took it over tot he shop today and the guy said that he could wetsand most of them out, the big pit (solvent pop in the picture) he said is too deep to wetsand and said that he could take it tomarrow night (cause its raining and he wants to let it cure before getting rained on with the dirty water) and do a spot repair, i assume hes going to sand down the area a bid and then reshoot just that part and make it blend, hopefully he does a good job otherwise the hood will look a lot worse than with just a little imperfection. I hate asking people for money back after i pay for **** so im just going to let them try and fix everything as well as they can, they might not have done a very good job with the work after painting but i would say that they used some quality paint.. however i can see lines that i saw on the fiberglass finish if i look very carefully on the paint as if they didnt sand it smooth very well... oh well lesson learned i guess, maybe i should just get a junker and not care about the paintjob, ill take my 250$ camaro over to maaco someday lol then my firebirds paint job will look immaculate.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

The dimples look to be the fiberglass hood curing. Little air pockets can get trapped inside the hood and if you go ahead and get the hood painted some may still rise up (why alot of guys run around with unpainted hood for a while to let the bubbles come up). When this happens and you've already had your hood painted, it blisters the paint up like you're experiencing. Same thing happened to me because I had my Suncoast Raptor hood painted right away. Luckily after enough bitching by myself and the body shop Suncoast paid for the repaint.

Since the swirl/holograms are the shops fault, they should fix the blisters at no additional cost unless they have to do some patch work on the hood. Then that might come out of your pocket unless you can get Roger to reimburse you for it. Sadly it's just a part of fiberglass in some cases. Hard to get away from if you get some air bubblles in there.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

i ran with the hood off for probably about 6 months. so the fiberglass should definately have been cured before hand, and this is the day after the paint job so im sure that these little dimples are either from debris falling onto the paint while it was wet, and the pitting is probably solvent pop like mentioned before, i took it by and he said he would sand out the dimples but the pits would need to be spot painted and blended to match the rest of the hood... i almost dont think its worth it to have to arrange for alternative transportation for the single pit... the things im thinking about ding right now are
1. take it in and let them do all of the work, get a ride to the shop to drop off the bird, then home and to school and to work and then back over there the next day..

2. let them wetsand the shallow dimples out but ask him how much he would charge to have that pit fixed and then have him reimburse me for that amount and just live with the little blemish.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Get it done right. A little inconvenience for a day or two is a small price to pay for a job that is correct and that will make you happy. Otherwise everytime you go to clean the car all those spots will jump out at you and you'll be mad you didn't take the time to have them fixed in the first place.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

good advice ill just take it in and let them do what they can
Old 09-22-2005, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

ok so now the guy has the car and it doesnt sound like he even did any work to it (hes had it since last night) i showed him the stress cracks on the hood and he is sayinig over the phone that the hood is just poor quality... now wait, i have heard nothing but the absolute opposite about hoods from us exotics, no one ever complaining... so this sounds like BS, now hes saying that the hood has pin holes in it that cant be fixed, bull ****, they should be able to fill those in and sand it down and paint right over it. that sounds like crap to me
Old 09-22-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like BS to me. Even if it was a poor quality hood, he should be able to fill in any swirls or pits. Why wasn't it noted that it was a "poor quality" hood the first time around?
Old 09-22-2005, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

exactly

Quick Reply: just got my hood painted..