Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Please give me opinions regarding the Mecham Camaro Z29R spoiler.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The black Camaro is mine. I like the Mecham spoiler a lot (of course, I didn't have to pay for it since it was on the car when I bought it). I like how subtle, yet aggressive it looks. It stick out a little bit further, and it a little bit higher than the 98+ SS spoiler.

The guy I bought the car from said the body shop had to do a lot of prep work on the Mecham spoiler.......anyhow, here are some more pics (link to my webpage in sig also).

And here is an old pic that shows a good side profile of the spoiler on my Camaro:

And yes....I realize that my tailpipes stick out too far.

Last edited by Mandrake; 09-21-2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:17 AM
12 Second Club

I like the spoiler!
Old 09-21-2005, 01:00 AM
10 Second Club

that lip is out of control HUGE, it basicly looks like the LT1 SS spoiler... thats what i want to get
Old 09-21-2005, 01:13 AM
TECH Regular

I like the SS spoiler better
Old 09-21-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mandrake
The black Camaro is mine. I like the Mecham spoiler a lot (of course, I didn't have to pay for it since it was on the car when I bought it). I like how subtle, yet aggressive it looks. It stick out a little bit further, and it a little bit higher than the 98+ SS spoiler.
After looking at the pic above and the other side pic of the car from the other reply for a few minutes, I'll take back what I said earlier about the spoiler looking too aggressive. It takes a while to get used to the side profile, but it does tend to grow on you after staring at it for a few minutes. I'm betting that it'll look a lot better in person. The other angles of the spoiler look damn awesome and there's no way the LT1 or LS1 SS spoiler compares to it. Also, isn't it a lot easier to clean and polish that area beneath the spoiler? I can't even fit my hands beneath the factory Z28 spoiler! I think it's worth taking the risk to buy that spoiler and have it painted and installed.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

That's an absolutely badass spoiler. But from Mecham, a company with a reputation for shitty product quality, it would scare me to buy it.

Their products all have 3 strikes against them right off the bat:
1. Terrible quality
2. Too much prep work involved, considering how much you pay. Plus it still doesn't always turn out right
3. Far too expensive, especially considering you're getting something that may well still fall apart or look like crap, despite amazing prep work and paint.

Whoever suggested getting an LS1 SS spoiler and cutting off the bottom supports, I may try that.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:02 PM
Launching!

I've wanted a mecham for awhile. Then i thought i decided on a Freedom design one. THat is the first side shot like that i have seen. I like it even more now. Now i really don't know wich one to get.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
That's an absolutely badass spoiler. But from Mecham, a company with a reputation for shitty product quality, it would scare me to buy it.

Their products all have 3 strikes against them right off the bat:
1. Terrible quality
2. Too much prep work involved, considering how much you pay. Plus it still doesn't always turn out right
3. Far too expensive, especially considering you're getting something that may well still fall apart or look like crap, despite amazing prep work and paint.

Whoever suggested getting an LS1 SS spoiler and cutting off the bottom supports, I may try that.
I just called up Dennis Mecham in Arizona. I had a 5 minute conversation with him regarding the part. Here is what Dennis said:

- there is a warranty for their spoiler and they will replace it if it's defective;
- it's fiberglass, therefore, it naturally takes a lot of prep-work to install the spoiler;
- the spoiler is rare--they haven't sold that many of them and not a lot of people have seen them in person;
- the spoiler aides in downforce resulting in greater high speed stability--will not aide in the quarter mile as it will cause unnoticeable drag;
- there was a previous Z29R spoiler that was a "sleeve" design, but it was heavier and more cumbersome to install over the factory camaro spoiler;
- the spoiler is still $385;
- the factory camaro LED light cannot be used for the spoiler as the required LED light is "thinner" and can simply be bought from an auto parts store;
- he has never received any complaints regarding the quality of the part

Dennis Mecham was helpful and patient with my questions. In the end, I simply told him that I'll keep his spoiler in mind as a future modification. I wasn't just saying it, because I'm really planning on buying it.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by damon_Z
I just called up Dennis Mecham in Arizona. I had a 5 minute conversation with him regarding the part. Here is what Dennis said:

- there is a warranty for their spoiler and they will replace it if it's defective;
- it's fiberglass, therefore, it naturally takes a lot of prep-work to install the spoiler;
- the spoiler is rare--they haven't sold that many of them and not a lot of people have seen them in person;
- the spoiler aides in downforce resulting in greater high speed stability--will not aide in the quarter mile as it will cause unnoticeable drag;
- there was a previous Z29R spoiler that was a "sleeve" design, but it was heavier and more cumbersome to install over the factory camaro spoiler;
- the spoiler is still $385;
- the factory camaro LED light cannot be used for the spoiler as the required LED light is "thinner" and can simply be bought from an auto parts store;
- he has never received any complaints regarding the quality of the part

Dennis Mecham was helpful and patient with my questions. In the end, I simply told him that I'll keep his spoiler in mind as a future modification. I wasn't just saying it, because I'm really planning on buying it.
Be sure to let us know how it goes if you buy it in the future. I'd like to see how it turns out for you. I wasn't trying to bash Mecham before; instead, I was just going on the basis that the majority of us here have seen numerous times: Mecham's stuff tends to fall apart. However, if you were to get that spoiler and it looked good and was decent quality, I'd get one as well.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by damon_Z
After looking at the pic above and the other side pic of the car from the other reply for a few minutes, I'll take back what I said earlier about the spoiler looking too aggressive. It takes a while to get used to the side profile, but it does tend to grow on you after staring at it for a few minutes. I'm betting that it'll look a lot better in person. The other angles of the spoiler look damn awesome and there's no way the LT1 or LS1 SS spoiler compares to it. Also, isn't it a lot easier to clean and polish that area beneath the spoiler? I can't even fit my hands beneath the factory Z28 spoiler! I think it's worth taking the risk to buy that spoiler and have it painted and installed.
I can fit my hand underneath the spoiler to clean it, although it narrows down as it gets closer to the rear windshield. I have never seen this spoiler in person on another car, while the SS one I see all the time. It might cost a bit more, but I think its worth it.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
you just described an LT1 SS spoiler..
Old 09-22-2005, 01:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cop Car
you just described an LT1 SS spoiler..
Not exactly. The 98+ has higher flip and the LED light.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:54 AM
Staging Lane

I liked it at first then saw the side angle...... im torn

Quick Reply: Please give me opinions regarding the Mecham Camaro Z29R spoiler.