Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Pics of my engine bay, including polished valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon
The intake looks the same as the car in person, some how his car and the camera make it look orange.

The valve covers are definatly badass.

The coil relocation he has works very nice, the wires are straight boots, to run them under the header primaries, there is alot of work involved in making some brackets to keep the wires off of the primaries. It can be done with custom wires (I make them) on the passenger side, but the way the plug angle is on the driver's side, you have to run straights, OR, figure out a way to affix the wires off of the header bolts, where they are pushed back away from the primaries, and use wire insulators. Its a mess. I posted pictures a few weeks ago on my setup with completely hidden wiring, nothing seen at all, and it looked good, but then the wires burnt on the driver side. Instead of spending a huge amount of money on wires, sleaving, sheilding, boot protectors, etc., I'm going to run straights on the drivers side. Should still be fairly well hidden.

Will the oil filler you have fit in the factory style hole, or is it a special thread from Nasty?

I'm still finding more and more details as I continue to look through pictures.

Do you have a link on the steam cleaner you use?

That should be enough for now, I'll post more later
-Brandon

the hole is simply a push in style, at least mine is...I do believe he sells screw in style also. The hole is a standard 1-1/4 which made it easy to go find a push in style breather.

The cleaner is just STP steam cleaner in a can. Much better than like Gunk and stuff...the STP you spray on when everything is warm, wait 15 minutes hose off, wipe up excess water, and I always use CD2 Engine Detail spray...the stuff is ****.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

One more, couldn't resist.

Search for LawmanSS's evap relocation, it moves it down and out of the way, which will allow you to get ride of the hose across the valve cover..
already have the info and will be doing it soon...good looking out though...there are alot of small things I still have in my garage waiting...like a power antennae kit, shift light, etc etc.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin
Very Well done.

I have a black car and have polished several parts, chromed some of the brackets, I really like the look of the BMR Shroud with the K & N cold air kit. What did it take to get these two parts to fit together??

Your car looks great.
nothing, they fit just fine...if you go to BMR's site though, you have to look under Lt1's for the shroud.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

So you're gonna ditch the FRCs? Going to coil relocate too? Hit me up before you do...

Cool I'll tell you about my plans for the engine bay
Old 09-26-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1BadMoFo
yes I sure did, but there was still an air line running from the TB to the passenger side valve cover. I tried running without it, but it created a huge vacuum inside the engine so I have since replace my oil cap with a sweet breather.

I was worred about un-metered air entering the engine, but it didn't matter...which makes sense when you think about it, that air has nothing to do with combustion, just the pcv system.

Cool, Didn't think anyone would notice that did you

I talked to Nate about some valve covers but I'm debating swaping over to the ls6 pcv... more work than I really want to do for valve covers. I'M LAZY
Old 09-26-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also did you have to modify anything to get the coil relocation to fit with your STB? I have the same one but I heard it wouldn't work with the coil relocation kit.

Oh one last thing. Have you thought about relocating the cable for the hood latch on the driver side?
Old 09-27-2005, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
Also did you have to modify anything to get the coil relocation to fit with your STB? I have the same one but I heard it wouldn't work with the coil relocation kit.

Oh one last thing. Have you thought about relocating the cable for the hood latch on the driver side?
I will be doing the hood latch soon.

No, the TR relo kit fit just fine without touching the STB.

And you really should do the pcv mod. It takes about an hour, easy as heck, and if you don't, you'll still have all that annoying pcv tubing around your engine bay and you won't see the full effect of the smooth valve covers.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

care to share the info on the ls6 and pcv mod stuff?
as in switching to ls6 valley cover and whatnot....
general run down, and reasoning would be nice... I've never paid attention to it, and there are only like 10000000000000 threads about that kinda crap....
Old 09-27-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

well right now you should have 2 hoses on each side of your valve covers because it pulls the positive crankcase pressure through the heads. With the PCV mod all those are eliminated except the one going from the passenger side valve cover to the throttle body. This is because it is not pulling the pressure from the valley cover...so you eliminate alot of tubing. I wound up removing that last hose with a breather installed in the oil fill cap.

There is a good write up on either Install Unversity.com, or on LS1howto.com.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

installuniversity has the write up. I might do it this weekend
Old 09-27-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brandon...DO IT...DO IT! (spoken as Ben Stiller in Starsky & Hutch)...

PM sent.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

definately do it if you're getting custom valve covers.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Impressed I am.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool, thanks everyone.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:09 AM
TECH Regular

Awesome! Best looking engine bay I've ever seen. What brand, type paint, color red, etc. did you use?
Old 10-01-2005, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's the small duplicolor color matching red, I think it was part number GM381 Red.

Just give the store your color code off the door, and they will match it up.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Default Nice bay

OK OK, I know 1badmofo will hat me forever if I don't vouch for the BLINGNESS of his engine bay! No for real, I have seen it and worked on it in person, it is the cleanest I have ever seen outside of the trailer queens the roll into the car shows. I have the proud honor or saying that I did the paint job on the dipstick! Although I am sure he probably replaced that by now too! Its nice and clean, although I liked it a little better when the manifold was silver Nuthin but luv for ya scotty!
Old 10-03-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dtz28
OK OK, I know 1badmofo will hat me forever if I don't vouch for the BLINGNESS of his engine bay! No for real, I have seen it and worked on it in person, it is the cleanest I have ever seen outside of the trailer queens the roll into the car shows. I have the proud honor or saying that I did the paint job on the dipstick! Although I am sure he probably replaced that by now too! Its nice and clean, although I liked it a little better when the manifold was silver Nuthin but luv for ya scotty!
Thanks man. Hopefully we'll be picking up your Z tomorrow and then we car start the same process on your car!
Old 10-03-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice indeed. I would relocate that Evap Solinoid(sp?) if I were you. It really cleans up those valve covers even more!!
Old 10-03-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

just remove the evap

cap the intake, cap the line, no worries...

Quick Reply: Pics of my engine bay, including polished valve covers