Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How hard is it to install a friggin hood scoop?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 01:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How hard is it to install a friggin hood scoop?!?!

This is both a rhetorical and actual question. How hard is it to install an aftermarket hood scoop (ss replica)? I bought one off ebay about two months back, but now that I finally want to put it on, it seems like no bodyshop out there wants to touch it. I tried about four and they gave me attitude like "how dare you even waste my time asking that". Granted I called around to the better body shops in town as I didn't want "1-Day Auto Paint" touching my hood, but still.

I know a few people have done this before, so who did it (i.e. friend or actual shop), how much did it cost, how long was the downtime, etc? Searchs didn't really seem to yield much info.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you are talking about one of those cheap POS scoops that goes on top of the current hood. Take it and throw it in the trash. Spend the money and get a real hood aftermarket or OEM. Do it the right way.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

If it's bonding the fiberglass to metal, it'll crack, right at the joint, in about 99% of the cases, better off to buy a hood with the scoop molded in
Old 10-06-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly. Since your OEM hood is steel, you can't just attach the scoop to your OEM hood, you'd have to get a fiberglass hood. And if you're at the point of purchasing a new fiberglass hood, might as well go the distance and get a fiberglass SS hood.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

damn, and here I thought I was saving some money over buying an entire hood
Old 10-06-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meissenation
Exactly. Since your OEM hood is steel, you can't just attach the scoop to your OEM hood, you'd have to get a fiberglass hood. And if you're at the point of purchasing a new fiberglass hood, might as well go the distance and get a fiberglass SS hood.
You can attach fiberglass to steel. Haven't you seen people that have the L88 scoop glassed on.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fiberglass doesn't bond well with metal, it'll crack the second someone raises their hood without holding onto it as it goes up.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:41 AM
TECH Regular

well I guess my new question is how much variance is there with color shades from the factory?

i.e. if I didn't want to spend $500 on a new hood and then $250 getting it painted, could I just buy a hood off another red camaro or would it be different enough in color to make it stand out?
Old 10-07-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would think you could match it pretty easilly. If the hood has more oxidation than your car, you'd just have to use a good polish and buffer and it'll probably match pretty good.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Fiberglass doesn't bond well with metal, it'll crack the second someone raises their hood without holding onto it as it goes up.
Well he can bond the scoop on. Its been done before, me might not want to use glass but he can bond it on.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 10-07-2005, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

When you say bond, do you mean bondo? Bondo's brittle, would be horrible.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When you say bond, do you mean bondo? Bondo's brittle, would be horrible.
No body shops actually have adhesives that are strong enough they bond quarter panels on with it. I just had my friend whos a body man put some on the under side of my SS hood as the inner structure is trying to pull away from the skin.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z95m6
You can attach fiberglass to steel. Haven't you seen people that have the L88 scoop glassed on.
Yeah and I've seen alot of them with cracks at the joints
Old 10-07-2005, 05:47 PM
R.I.P. November 11, 2007

Originally Posted by Z95m6
No body shops actually have adhesives that are strong enough they bond quarter panels on with it. I just had my friend whos a body man put some on the under side of my SS hood as the inner structure is trying to pull away from the skin.
The adhesive you mentioned is for similar matericals. The problem with bonding dissimilar materical lilke fiberglass and metal is that each material assorbs and disapates heat at a different rate. This is mainly where the long term problems happens, causing the end result of a crack at the joint area. Not to mention vibration . That is a differnt problem in it's self. We do sell hood scoop for bond on application. Some people want to save money up front. I understand that. We our self's bond on a fiberglass hood scoop to a metal hood to build a new design from it. We are not expecting it to last for a very long time as were are just designing a new design. Even then ,I keep it out of the sun, as a rule. The hood frame under the composite hood will bond quite well to the inderside of the hood , because it is similar, if not excat matericals. Even then it does have to be done correct inorder to last. Rex

Quick Reply: How hard is it to install a friggin hood scoop?!?!