Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

keeping a black car clean :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keeping a black car clean :(

Well ever since i saw the ls1 black WS6 trans am commercial way back in the day i knew i wanted one. so about 6 months ago i went and picked one up. i have always had my heart set on getting a 98-02 WS6 and wanted it in BLACK. so i did it right and got the last of the breed 02 Ws6 Black on black (pics in sig).

Now when it comes to my cars i am somewhat **** in that i want them to look flawless and super clean all of the time (im sure some of you share this idea). I have never owned a black car and have always heard people saying "oh have fun keeping her clean" and i always thought to myself who cares when it is clean it is the meanest looking color. Well i quess they were right bc every time i wash my car, literally 30 minutes later there are all types of visable dust and pollen type crap and it just looks dirty again. it is a viscous cycle. in the dark after washing you can not see the dust and other particles. but i swear 30 minutes after i good wash and dry and in the sunlight, it looks filthy again. if i could do it again i would have gotten a pewter. sorry guys just wanted to vent and im sure all you black cars out there can relate.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya man, try living on a dirt/gravel road with a black car, yours is clean for 30 mins, mine lasts 10 (if that)
But nothing looks as good as a clean black WS6
Old 10-10-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Regular

A car duster might help, if its clean just wipe the dust off.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
But nothing looks as good as a clean black WS6

I can think of something...
Old 10-10-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Formula-T/A
A car duster might help, if its clean just wipe the dust off.
I bought one of those f$@@$!@#@#$!#$!@#%$@%ing things today, was wiping my car down and I noticed on the window there was some sort of "streaking" like a film on it.... look around to the side of the car that I had just wiped off and it looked like someone wiped it down with a greasy towel! Boy was I f'n pissed... I can't wait to return it tomorrow
Old 10-10-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Oh and I've heard Zaino works WONDERS with black cars..... how true I don't know, but I'm willing to give it a try, I've spent more than 90 bucks on car crap already and most of it doesn't work half as good as they say....
Old 10-10-2005, 05:46 PM
VSJ
TECH Regular

Keeping a black car clean is a losing battle. Thats why I switched to silver.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FelixIlka
I bought one of those f$@@$!@#@#$!#$!@#%$@%ing things today, was wiping my car down and I noticed on the window there was some sort of "streaking" like a film on it.... look around to the side of the car that I had just wiped off and it looked like someone wiped it down with a greasy towel! Boy was I f'n pissed... I can't wait to return it tomorrow
Don't return it, wrap an old newspaper around the end with the cotton on it, then put it in the bag it came in for 24-48 hrs, the paper absorbs the excess parafin that lets it pick up dust, after that it should pick up the dust without streaking
Zaino does look good on a black car, but it looks like IMO a sterile shine (like you wrapped the car in plastic) that's not what I wanted, so I switched to Menzerna (I've tried a ton of stuff on it, and this was the one I liked the best YRMV)
Old 10-10-2005, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

at dusk though. a clean jet black WS6 can not be beat just drove my mom to pick up her car at a mechanic shop and a guy ran up and gave me his card and said "if you ever want to sell that car please call me i have been searching for a 02 black WS6". this made me feel a little better. then again..it was at dusk

was thinking about the duster but it seems like it would scratch the paint??
Old 10-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FelixIlka
Did you buy the cheap "rubbermaid" one that is sold at target. I bought the same one and had the same exact problem, only because they coat it with a wax. lol Anyway, the only really true and great duster is the original red California Duster. There is an interior and exterior one, both are recomended and work great. As for the cheap rubbermaid one u own now, maybe try washing it and getting all that wax coating off of it.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.autobarn.net/ac62443.html

There ya go.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jared22
Did you buy the cheap "rubbermaid" one that is sold at target. I bought the same one and had the same exact problem, only because they coat it with a wax. lol Anyway, the only really true and great duster is the original red California Duster. There is an interior and exterior one, both are recomended and work great. As for the cheap rubbermaid one u own now, maybe try washing it and getting all that wax coating off of it.
YES, I work there and I needed to dust off the car so I picked it up.. I planned on returning it anyway. I didn't think it was that' nice for 11.99 but I wanted to give a duster a try, so I'm thinking of ordering the OXO one from autopia.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

but does that cali. car duster scratch the paint if the paint is semi dirty or has other particles on it besides dust?
Old 10-10-2005, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

i just found the cali duster in my garage. pops must have bought it way back..thing is..its FILTHY dirty..i read that the more dirty the duster the better it works i mean it is pretty damn dirty. should i wash it or just use it?
Old 10-10-2005, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by narc
but does that cali. car duster scratch the paint if the paint is semi dirty or has other particles on it besides dust?
man wtf my brother has a duster dont know which type and he gave it to me so i tried it one day and my car was just a little dusty so i wiped it down with the duster i only did a small section luckly cause once i finished with it i guess the duster or the dust made it get sctraches on my paint last time i use one of those
Old 10-10-2005, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Default California car duster safe?

The cali. car dusters are safe for dusting a car off but you need to use some common sense. If you would not feel comfortable dragging a terrie cloth towel across the dust and debre on the painted surface for fear of scraching it You should blow it off with an air hose or consider investing in a car cover.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

Okay, plain and simple, your never going to have a black car clean. I have a black Trans Am, and I've given up. But you also hafta look at it this way: People aren't going to be NEAR as **** in viewing the car as you are, because, of course, you own it. My car is arguably(sp) one of the cleanest cars in the city of Little Rock, and, of course, I think it looks like complete **** to be honest. It's just the way it works, can't change it. Take a spray bottle and make a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water. Just mist that stuff on and wipe the car down before you go out for the evening. It's the best you can do.

edit: **** that duster too. -1 from me.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Banned

Black cars are definitely A BITCH to keep clean. What i do is every spring, wetsand and rub the whole car and she looks like she jus rolled off the assembly line.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car is always parked in my garage with a dust cover and then it gets (2) Z-6 treatments a week. I can't imagine what it would look like if I didn't have the garage. I live in a heavily wooded area and there is always **** floating/falling off the trees. I tried the California duster but it leaves streaks. As it got older it was less streaky but it looks so dirty I just can't bring myself to use it anymore. I guess I'll try washing it.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

two z-6 treatments a week?? damn that must get costly!

Quick Reply: keeping a black car clean :(