Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question about 4" Ram Air Fiberglass Hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 04:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about 4" Ram Air Fiberglass Hood

Is my body shop guy retarded? He's installing and painting my 4" Ram Air Hood that I ordered from VFN Fiberglass. It is the bolt-on style, not the lift-off. He says he's concerned that the design of the hood makes it susceptible to flying off the car if I get up enough speed. He thinks there's not enough air flow coming out of the back of it compared to what can come into it. He suggested hood pins. I've never heard anyone on here with that hood say anything remotely llike that. Is it possible?

I'm probably going to email VFN and ask them too. I'm sure they will laugh their asses off, but whatever...
Old 11-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I read that from someone selling hoods on ebay, I dont buy it.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:05 PM
Teching In

In case anyone else ever has this question, Jeanie from VFN was nice enough to PM me in response to this thread. She actually kind of corroborated my body guy's analysis. She said VFN's rule of thumb is anything over 130 mph, you may wish to add a small pin along each side of the latch to help keep the hood down. She also said that they add heat extractors to the hood so it does not get more air intake than a normal WS6 hood.

I don't know what this hood is going to look like in the long run because I think my shop is making a mess of it, but I can say the folks at VFN have been top notch all the way! Any question I have had, they have always answered quickly and completely...and this question wasn't even directed to them and they still took the time to address it!
Old 11-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

My body guy steve, whom I can provide a phone number to for anyone who wants it, he's the best for just about anything.

These fiberglass hoods are prone to coming off at high speeds, especially of whoever installed them didn't align them properly.

Steve recommended I put pins in my hood as well, but it's not as bad on the fbods as other styles of vehicles.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics...pics...pics...plz
Old 11-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Steve: Check your MSN email.

Quick Reply: Question about 4" Ram Air Fiberglass Hood