Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Best way to remove orange peel

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 12:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just kill two birds with one stone and pay stryker to paint flames all over the car, i'm sure he'll make it look decent.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skippytheloon
clay bar? that wont fix a bumpy "orange peel" paint job. funny
dont knock it till you try it. i didnt beleive it either untill a professional detailer here at work suggested it to me cause i had some factory orange peel. it wasnt too bad but it bugged me. sure as **** it worked..no more orange peel. again, i would imagine it all depends on how bad it is.
run the clay bar over the peel...applying slight pressure...obviously using a soap solution aswell...than i polished it with a buffer. i used all Zaino products and the peel is gone. simple as that.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TNTramair
dont knock it till you try it. i didnt beleive it either untill a professional detailer here at work suggested it to me cause i had some factory orange peel. it wasnt too bad but it bugged me. sure as **** it worked..no more orange peel. again, i would imagine it all depends on how bad it is.
run the clay bar over the peel...applying slight pressure...obviously using a soap solution aswell...than i polished it with a buffer. i used all Zaino products and the peel is gone. simple as that.
ummm, but it wasnt the claybar it was what you did after you cleaned the paint with the claybar
Old 12-14-2005, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by skippytheloon
ummm, but it wasnt the claybar it was what you did after you cleaned the paint with the claybar
you have to recoat the car after using a clay bar. the peel was gone after i did that...it strips the paint of all waxes and chemicals, thats why i polished and re-waxed it...but whatever..what do i know. go ahead and put sand paper to your paint and go from there...enjoy!!

ya know, ya try to educate someone with an alternative to sandpaper and you come down on me like im some stupid 10 yr old...no body is holdin a gun to your head sayin you have to do it this way...do whatever you want.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TNTramair
you have to recoat the car after using a clay bar. the peel was gone after i did that...it strips the paint of all waxes and chemicals, thats why i polished and re-waxed it...but whatever..what do i know. go ahead and put sand paper to your paint and go from there...enjoy!!

ya know, ya try to educate someone with an alternative to sandpaper and you come down on me like im some stupid 10 yr old...no body is holdin a gun to your head sayin you have to do it this way...do whatever you want.
honestly dude, you're acting like a 10 year old.
claybar will NOT remove orange peel, simple as that. claybar removes the impurities and **** stuck in/on the surface of the paint when prepping for a good wax/polish
Old 12-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Formerly escalaradoon22s 5/2/10

let the sanding and polishing begin
Old 12-14-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

I am gonna have to agree with everyone and say that a clay bar will not remove orange peel. Maybe if you pass over the surface a few hundred times you would start to notice a difference but it just isnt a substitue for a fine grit sand paper. Clay bar does wonders for removing impurities in the paint, but doesnt replace wet sanding when it comes to removing orange peel. Wet sanding your car isnt as dangerous as some people make it out to be. Just take your time, stay away from the edges, and check your work often. Both methods would make the car look and feel better, but there is a reason why a show paint job consists of wet sanding the clear to get the best finish.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

ok this is cool im having a good time i do paintless dent and paint defects like scratches and chips and i've screwed up alot of stuff it takes forever but you have to block sand or you end up w low spots and thats not good it looks like an old window reflection its not a big deal gm black cars have a lot of clear so sand it!!! she'll look hot
Old 12-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by freeeakz28
a da? 800 grit? i dont think so. im going with stryker on this one.
good idea ya have to be alert and know what your doing
Old 12-14-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

LOL at the people thinking orange peel is something that gets on your car. For people that dont know. It's the high's and low's in the paint. To oremove the orange peel you wet sand to bring them all to one level, so you have a perfect reflection.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've detailed cars for 3 years and a claybar will not remove orange peel.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:51 AM
11 Second Club

ok..im wrong.

Quick Reply: Best way to remove orange peel