Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Water spots/hairline scratches and wax

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water spots/hairline scratches and wax

Well it's winter here and it seems to rain a few days, let off for a day, then continue. Well on one of the sunnier days I took the opportunity to add another layer of wax on after a wash. Wash outside, dry it, pull into garage to work under shade with lights so the black paint won't be hot. After I finished I found an area with water spots where I had just put wax. Doh. I obviously didn't dry it enough or it dribbled out of the spoiler when I moved it 10 feet. Just wanted to know if this happens in the future if I can get rid of the spots under the wax? Or would I have to wash it enough to get the wax off in the first place and then be 100% sure there's no dried water left?

Finally, what's something great to get rid of all those hairline scratches that show up SO WELL over black paint? My car looks great from a slight distance or in the shade/dusk time but not under direct light. The car is still pretty fresh, 02/11k miles so I don't want something abrasive. I do have one of those Porter dual action orbitals but would be a-skeered to use a cutting pad. I only ordered the soft blue pads when I got it. Any suggestions? I am going to see if I can upload a picture properly but my camera doesn't connect to my computer so well.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh and maybe I should add this in. Previous owner said he only used Carnauba wax on it. Myself, I've used Klasse AIO, Klasse SG, and more recently over that Mother's pure Carnauba paste and their Quick Detail Spray (smells like cinnamon oddly, even on the car lol) I use a new wool wash mit, Absorber, MF towels, and terry cloth pads on the paint surfaces for different stages of wash/dry/wax.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dry the car with an electric leaf blower (yes you'll get funny looks from the neighbors )
As for the scratches, you'll need some type of abrasive to remove them, wax or sealers will only cover them up for a short time.
Don't be a-skeered of the PC or the cutting pad, it's really safe to use on the car, about the only way to damage the paint using it, is to drop it on the car
For the scratches/swirls on my black car I use Menzerna IP & FP, with an orange pad for the IP and a green for the FP, gets 99% of the damage out of the paint (I have one scratch that won't come out tho) but you can use the 3m line, Zaino, or whatever brand you preferI'll see if I can find the pic of the door after the "treatment"

Last edited by 2K2WS6TA; 01-04-2006 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Water spots/hairline scratches and wax