Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing window tint

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

W I N D E X . . . .
the regular window cleaner removes the residue as well. . .
Old 02-10-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
I tried to remove tint glue with a razor 3 years ago and it scratched my passenger window all to hell. I guess my Trans Am came equipped with the special "soft glass". While I was getting the glass replaced everyone at the auto glass shop said razors are a no no. I didn't need a trash bag to remove the rear tint btw.
Well you suggested not to use the method Luna posted a link to, and if you dont use that method... you have to use a razor blade. I didnt use the method and my film seperated on my hatch (and this was in the Florida sun, burnt my knuckles from having them touch the glass when using the razor), I had to use a razor blade to scrape the film off, did it scratch it? Nope.

And come on, seriously... Ive been in the car industry all my life, everytime a car is bought from the auction you have to scrape the auction numbers off the windshield, using a razor blade... Same method used at alot of used car dealerships... Never seen glass get scratched yet.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using a razor to start removing the film from the edge is fine, I'm just saying don't use a razor to scrape the glue off the window. Glass actually does scratch. I've seen bad winshield wipers scratch glass. I've encountered more morons in the automotive industry in my days then anywhere. Your point being??
Old 02-11-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Using a razor to start removing the film from the edge is fine, I'm just saying don't use a razor to scrape the glue off the window. Glass actually does scratch. I've seen bad winshield wipers scratch glass. I've encountered more morons in the automotive industry in my days then anywhere. Your point being??
My point is that you came stating that the link posted was "BS", when you offered no help yourself. If you just try ripping the tint off, it will seperate, leaving the color film behind and taking off the clear one... and at that point the only way to remove it is to use a razor.

The guy does not need to be removed with a razor at all, it will come off with a cleaner.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Charging TA
My point is that you came stating that the link posted was "BS", when you offered no help yourself. If you just try ripping the tint off, it will seperate, leaving the color film behind and taking off the clear one... and at that point the only way to remove it is to use a razor.

The guy does not need to be removed with a razor at all, it will come off with a cleaner.
I was trying to help by sharing my experience with using a razor on auto glass and advising against it. I peeled all three (2side and rear) windows and none seperated, just peeled right off. The glue on my windows wouldn't come off with anything. I tried everything, ammonia, windex, goo gone, gasoline, nothing took that stuff off. The steam cleaner made quick work of it though.

Quick Reply: Removing window tint