Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can I get my car re-clearcoated without stripping the paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I get my car re-clearcoated without stripping the paint

my clearcoat is peeling on the hood in some pretty big spots and some smaller ones on the body. Is it possible to strip the clearcoat only and then reclear it?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

TTT, i'm real curious too. I'd be cool to be able to put some chemicals on the paint and only effect the clear. I'm sure clear has different properties than the base. My base needs some help. The car has been repainted.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry guys your going to have to throw down some base coat. Just to insure the clear has something to stick to, this avoids having it peel again.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

Well its not really a clear cut question and answer. If I was wanting to add clear onto my car to build up its thickness so I could wetsand and buff it out to a show quality finish all I would do is sand the clear with 6-800 wet and then spray my clear right on top of the exisiting clear. Now if you have spots that are peeling then you can do the same but you might be getting into the base where it is peeling up. If this is the case you will just have to shoot base color in that section and fade it out and then clear. However if your color is an opaque with no metallic in it you can get away with sanding the clear and if you get into the base color no biggie. It will be fine to clear over an opaque color like black that has been sanded with 600-800.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:40 PM
Restricted User

Also consider that it will cost almost as much to get the car "re-cleared" as is wood to just re-paint it. For instance, it would probably cost about $4000 for a decent repaint at a decent quality shop, and it would probably cost about $3600 to get the car "re-cleared". At least that's from my experience.

Quick Reply: Can I get my car re-clearcoated without stripping the paint