Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Will it ever be the same?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will it ever be the same?

Well, its been eating me alive for a looong time.

I got caught in the rain with my Mickey Thompsons after a cruise night last July and the car and I slid into the ditch.

There isnt a huge amount of body damage, the drivers rear quarter is badly dented and wrinkled, the sail panel on the roof is cracked, the hood has stress fractures, the drivers side mirror is broken off, and then the windshield is smashed aswell as one of the t-roof glass. Of course the paint is all scratched up and what not.

I was so devistated I just got it tow'd home and havent touched it since.

The whole point of buying the car was that I wanted a newer car that didnt need any paint and body work cause I was used to always having old muscle cars that just never looked new and clean.

I bought mine from Arizona, so totally clean and rust free, and paid for it all in one shot. So as I say, this was pretty devistating.

Well its the time of the year now where after a long while of not having touched the car I want to look into getting it back on the road. I just feel sick inside thinking it will never be the same.

I check out threads online here of guys cars that are exactly like mine and wonder if mine will ever look like that again.

I guess Im just wondering what you guys think. Will the car ever be the same? Can it look just as good as it was, to where I will be satisfied with it?

Thanks for taking the time to have read this and I really appreciate any feedback.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

anythings possible if you got money
Old 02-12-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's my story. Hopefully it will give you some hope.
Ironically, I was taking my brother to the hospital for a non-emergency deal. 5 lane highway, going 80mph, I'm in the second to left lane. non-insured Mexican lady comes from two lanes over from the right, forces me into the cement barrier wall. After scraping the wall, I go up the wall, two wheels on top, two wheels on the ground, (kind of fun actually) wheels go over the wall. So now I'm just destroying my axle, lower arms, and whatever else. My front wheel assembly comes off, I get all the way over to the right to the shoulder. Heavy driverside body damage, screwed axle, etc. So it gave me a reason to get a 9" new wheels, new brakes, and alot of cool body work. This was over 4years ago, and I've never had any reminder of the wreck from my car what-so-ever. So Yes, it can be even better than before. Here's my baby after her wall ride.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totaled my '89 firebird formula. So I bought the car back and get it fixed. Had some fun with that. Had every rivit taken out and spot welded instead for a smoother look under the hood, had everything clearcoated under the hood and restored. Had the entire car painted to get rid of orange peel. I would say the car turned out so much better after the accident that I'm glad it happened. Unfortunately, I was hit by a drunk driver 9 months later and it was totaled for good.

Bought my '00 Z with the insurance money...
Old 02-12-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It could definately look as good or better. If you've got the money for it, do it. You won't regret it. It'll look really good.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

Well thats just part of it, do I spend the money on it, or do I cut my losses and save that money up for another one??

Trying to be logical about it too.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

Sweet car richieg, I just bought a wrecked 2000 ws6 because it is the only way I can afford one. It looks like it hit a gaurd rail on the passenger side. I have found all the parts and am just waiting on the frame shop. Anubis if done right your car can be as good as new with no after affects. the most important thing is who fixes it look around and talk to different shops. get the frame checked if there is any question it may be bent or twisted. I am not a body man but am very mechanical and like to work on my own cars and I cut replaced and welded panels and painted a 2002 harley davidson ford supercrew that turned out great. there is nothing to it. drill out the factory spot welds, fit new panel(s), weld on, grind down and body filler/seam sealant, I enjoyed it, and got a killer looking truck for cheap.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The two times my old car (94 TA) was hit, gave me chances for upgrading to better looking parts (hood, wheels, tail lights) and getting a custom paint job. My car looked better afterwards lol.

BUT the damage on my car was minimal (light hits on the passenger front quarter and later the rear driver quarter) AND the other party had to pay since it was their fault both times.

If there is alot of mechanical/structural stuff messed up it might not be worth it to keep it. Best thing to do, is just get an estimate of what it will cost to put it back the way you want it to be and weigh that against the cost of getting another car and making it what you want it to be.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by richieg
Here's my story. Hopefully it will give you some hope.
Ironically, I was taking my brother to the hospital for a non-emergency deal. 5 lane highway, going 80mph, I'm in the second to left lane. non-insured Mexican lady comes from two lanes over from the right, forces me into the cement barrier wall. After scraping the wall, I go up the wall, two wheels on top, two wheels on the ground, (kind of fun actually) wheels go over the wall. So now I'm just destroying my axle, lower arms, and whatever else. My front wheel assembly comes off, I get all the way over to the right to the shoulder. Heavy driverside body damage, screwed axle, etc. So it gave me a reason to get a 9" new wheels, new brakes, and alot of cool body work. This was over 4years ago, and I've never had any reminder of the wreck from my car what-so-ever. So Yes, it can be even better than before. Here's my baby after her wall ride.

Now that is a beautifull story... i feel teary..
Old 02-13-2006, 01:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is fixed correctly i think it can be brought back to life
Old 02-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by richieg

I remember seeing your car at a car wash I worked at on Swisher Rd. I had a V6 back then. You had the front plate fabbed into the front bumper, the nostrils were modified, maybe no rear marker lights, !side molding etc etc etc. Then about two weeks later I saw you pulled over in Walmart getting a ticket for I'm assuming no sticker (cause you were braggin about never getting pulled over for it--Murphy's law in action)

Nice car.

As for the original post, the car can look the same again, you just have to be sure the frame is OK, otherwise it will never be as straight as a factory car. Suspension you can replace, but the frame RARELY ever comes back to "as new" status. Good luck, keep us updated on what you decide to do.....if you part it out, I'm sure us hungry vultures would want a crack at it!
Old 02-13-2006, 02:20 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for all the replies. I guess it really does just come down to basically my options. If its going to cost a fortune to get it back to normal and will I even be satisfied with it afterwards. I'll have to weigh my options when I bring it in to have place(s) look at it.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by herronz28
I remember seeing your car at a car wash I worked at on Swisher Rd. I had a V6 back then. You had the front plate fabbed into the front bumper, the nostrils were modified, maybe no rear marker lights, !side molding etc etc etc. Then about two weeks later I saw you pulled over in Walmart getting a ticket for I'm assuming no sticker (cause you were braggin about never getting pulled over for it--Murphy's law in action)

Nice car.

As for the original post, the car can look the same again, you just have to be sure the frame is OK, otherwise it will never be as straight as a factory car. Suspension you can replace, but the frame RARELY ever comes back to "as new" status. Good luck, keep us updated on what you decide to do.....if you part it out, I'm sure us hungry vultures would want a crack at it!
I remember you. Still no tickets, maybe a warning now and then though.