Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Quick Halo question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Halo question

How hard is the install? Do they wire to the stock wires? Never done any headlight work so I'm wondering how difficult it is for a 1st timer.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Once you know how to do it, it's really simple.

I wired the halos into my foglights, but it's up to you how you want to wire them.

Taking the stockers out is really easy, you will wonder why it seems so hard to put the halos in. To remove the stockers, just remove the two screws, one on each end of that L shaped bracket, and slide the headlight towards the center of the car, then just carefully wiggle it out.

I would put some masking tape on the fender where the outer edge of the headlight meets the fender to protect the paint when you install the halos. Also, as recommended by many other guys on here, use the bracket from your stock lights, not the one that comes with (and already is installed on) the halos, the factory one is sturdier. I used the ones that were on the halos, and I was rewarded with a screw that now is stuck in the thread on the bracket because the thread bushing is spinning inside the plastic of the bracket. Either way, take your time, use the stock brackets, and also run bead of clear silicone sealant around the headlight to prevent any possible leakage. I haven't done that on mine, and probably won't since I didn't have any leakage issues yet, but my car is not driven in the rain, it only sees water when it gets washed.

On the bracket there are two adjustment screws to aim the headlight. Put some masking tape around the exposed thread so you know in what position they need to be in, makes aiming them a no brainer. When you install the headlights in the car, screw the adjustment screws in such a way that the bracket gets pulled closer towards the actual headlight assembly. This will give you more room to get the headlight back into the car. The most important thing to know is that you insert the headlight with the end that's going to be towards the center of the car first. Be careful with that rubber around the headlight so it won't tear off, the glue that holds that thing in place is not as good as the one on the OEM lights. Once you got the center portion of the headlight in as far as it will go, move the outer section into position. What needs to happen is that the outer side of the headlight needs to go inside the fender, this is where you have to watch out for the rubber get stuck on the fender. With a little bit of careful pushing and wiggeling, you will get the outer section of the headlight past the fender. Now look for the outermost adjustment screw, it needs to go into an opening on the bracket that remains in the car, once you got the screw through the opening (it will be obvious which one it is), you're almost home free. You now just have to get the tabs on the bracket on the headlights into the grooves on the bracket in the car, and then slide them away from the center towards the fender. Once they are in place, replace the L shaped bracket, bolt the one end to the metal of the car, and the other one into the headlight. Return the adjustment screws back to where you taped off the thread, and you're done.

If you wire the halos into the foglights, the red wire of the halo goes to the purple wire on the foglight, and the white wire of the halo goes with the black wire of the foglight. I soldered my connections, and I do recommend you unplug the foglights from the housing (don't undo the plug, just twist it and the whole foglight together with connecting plug comes out) so you have more room to work with. Afer all, you have to remove the plastic shielding so you have better access to the foglight wires.

Also, if you want to do clear corner lenses, now is the time, do them at the same time you do the halos.

Enjoy.

Manny

Last edited by MannyZ28; 02-15-2006 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

along with the clear corners - SEAL 'EM!!! i had a retarded moment an didnt seal them, against the common pleas of this board. so now im dealin with a busted bulb in the right corner, and both are fogged.

u.s.p.s. dropped a notice off today sayin they gotta package for me, but its some C.O.D. delievery...my last corners taht came in werent c.o.d. ...hmm, maybe someone actually loves me an tried to send me a love-day package?
Old 02-15-2006, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Can you go into more detail about siliconing the clear corners and headlights? How much silicone? And where exactly do I run it?
Old 02-15-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

This picture speaks a thousand words....

Just run a bead where the two surfaces meet.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea, just silicone the surface area where the socket meets up with the hole in the corner marker light, then after u twist on the light socket, i'd go ahead an run a ring of silicone around that area, just to double-layer it and be safe. as far as removing this stuff, from wut i've heard, just take a heat gun and heat it up, using a pin to poke n prod holes in the seal.

btw, manny, wut exactly is the use of the two wires coming from the halo? i know ur *supposed* to hook them up to the corners, or as in ur case, the fogs, but wut will that do? if that illuminates the halo, how does that work with daytime running lights?
Old 02-15-2006, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

if you hook them up to your fog lamps, the ring will turn on whenever you have your FOGS ON, if not, they wont be on. i wired mine to my parking lights.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah...what Havok said...