Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Waxing a car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 02:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waxing a car?

I like to think i keep my car clean but after seeing some of your guys shine i think i need to change my waxing technique. I always hear about pre-waxing, but what exactly does this include?
Thanks
Old 02-16-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually they are using some of the techniques described here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/263061-porter-cable-dual-action-polisher-faq.html

This is a sticky in the Hall of Fame thread if you need to find it again
Old 02-16-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Proper prep work consists of claying to remove contaminants and polishing with an abrasive and/or cleaner to remove swirls, oxidation, etc.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dduncan
Usually they are using some of the techniques described here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263061

This is a sticky in the Hall of Fame thread if you need to find it again
That makes me so happy!

mtb989s: My motto about waxing is "Polish out the imperfections, then seal in your hard work." The scratches and swirl marks are generally in the top layer of clear coat. You can polish those out, then seal it with a good wax/sealant.

-Mike
Old 02-16-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Depends on how good or bad the finish is on your ride. Usually what I'll do is take a rotary buffer (polish pad) with Meguiar's No. 5, buff out the entire car, then follow up with an orbital buffer with either Meguiar's regular polish or Meguiar's No. 7. That will take out the rainbow swirls that the rotary buffer might leave behind. If you have some contaiminats or swirls in the clearcoat, buff them out with a clearcoat-safe Rubbing Compound and a yellow pad on the rotary buffer before polishing. Use a clay bar for the heavy fallout.