Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

My Car Care Routine. Need Help!

Old 02-16-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My Car Care Routine. Need Help!

Okay guys I read about all these things you guys do to your cars and I need some help. So here is my usual routine.

Wash My car By hand and dry
Go over with a microfiber towel
Claybar
Wax with Eagle One NanoWax.

Ive heard of polishers and swirl removers. Where would I do these? I would assume right befor the Waxing. What will I need to do them. I have a little orbital sander, will that help? What kind of polishers and swirl removers would you guys reccomend.

Tell me what you guys do.
Please include Prep work and all the little details to.
I really want my car to stand out at the car shows. Thanks
Old 02-16-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/263061-porter-cable-dual-action-polisher-faq.html

FWIW, Ill be getting Menzerna polishes when I get around to buying everything.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The polisher, go to lowes and get a Porter Cable 7424, then read this thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263061
It'll tell you the answers to your questions
Old 02-16-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

A normal detail routine would go something like this:

Wash
Claybar
Wash or Rinse
Dry
Polish with abrasive and/or cleaner as necessary to remove swirls, oxidation, etc.
Wax/seal
Dress tires and wheel wells

There is a "sticky" at the top of this forum with good information on the Porter Cable polisher.

My favorite polishes are Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish, but there are many good ones out there.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Zane, do you think if I take a picture of my car at a couple angles so that the lil scratches show that you would be able to judge which polish product and pad I should use? If I lived nearby in Texas I would drive to you and have you do it but I am in Cali. Honestly I'm very worried that with only ~12k miles that I'll buy something harsher than necessary. Or use a pad that isn't the proper strength and make it a waste of time, or even too strong and make things worse.

As far as I know I don't think the car has had a polish on it yet. I know I've got multiple layers of wax on it though. So when I wash with a car wash liquid, since they say it won't strip wax, what is going to take it off? Claybar is the only way or should I wash with dish soap first? I've never used that but I've got the Klasse twins on there several times and probably 5 carnauba layers. And I realize it's a little ridiculous to have used their sealant twice within four months, but I used it again after claying a second time - figuring it came off.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

It's really hard to determine the right method solely by a picture. What pads and polishes do you have?

If you plan on polishing, it will remove whatever wax/sealant is on the surface.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Car Care Routine. Need Help!