Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Car Update 2/21/06 PICS!!! (56k Ehhh how bout no)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
the biggest issue i have heard with the breathless is in the clear plastic cover. it yellows and cracks easy, something a 1k kit shouldn't do. what do the switches control?
I completely disagree, their paperwork states it's been treated to resiste UV Rays, and yellowing, or bluring from weather...So there is a ticket that if it does to get a freebie set of lens's...

I will go more into detail on the panels when I get home from class which is another 4 hours from now...

Switches are for misc items that will go on the car, leaving 1 or 2 empty for room to grow...the HVAC has been removed from the car....
Old 02-21-2006, 06:27 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Good to see you're still enjoying the project, and getting **** done! I'm glad someone like me finally has a set of BP non-popup lights. I've always wanted to buy them, but have been convinced by every owner they were junk.

Nice to hear some good feedback on them from you. I'm loving the idea of two 1000x's. That would be bad ***. You're on the right track with an HID setup for that factory light though. It will look great either way.

Keep chuggin' man!

Rob
Old 02-21-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, it would look better having 2 similar shape lights in there vs a round and a square.

Keepin an eye out for the interior panel write up...
Old 02-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Banned

yes please keep us updatedon the panels!
Old 02-21-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I still want to know what the process is on doing the panels like that?
Old 02-22-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
I still want to know what the process is on doing the panels like that?
Not sure of his process but I would just scuff the surface with a red scotch pad really well, clean the surface and spray a few coats of a high build epoxy primer. Sand the primer with 600 grit till it is completely smooth and then go straight to base color and clear.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

You've put alot of work in. Looking good !
Hawk
Old 02-22-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Interior Panels is a TON of work, I still have pieces to do..you need to make sure the parts are CLEAN before you sand otherwise your just gonna work any contaminents into the surface more...I started with 60-80 grit dependsing on how deep the "cracks" were, and went to 320, then used a product called DuraTec....It's a surfacing primer that is somewhat flexible, they use it alot in Boat making, and mold making it's a polyester primer shoot it with a 2.2 tip, then base and clear in a 1.3 tip...I still need to go back and wet-sand some pieces tho....Then before primer, and then after primer before paint, I use hot soapy water to wash the pieces then hot water to rinse, then a wax & grease remover before I lay base or primer down....
Old 02-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Banned

ahhhh! same technique I used to paint some interior trim pieces. bullet form for those who can't translate lol xxxtransamxxx just givin you a hard time.
-Clean the pieces very well (use something like rubbing alcohol, mineral spirits, or hardcore laquor thiner lol)
-to help get some of the leftover dirt and such off use hot soapy water and a clean towel or scrubby and scrub the pieces. rinse with hot water also.
-I haven't done interior panels yet, which are way bigger than the interior trim pieces, but you start sanding.
-I would say start out with some 100 grit, moving up to at least 800 wet sanding, washing, and rinsing inbetween, until everything is smooth.
-Use some sort of flexible, sandable primer as xxxtransamxxx did, let it dry, wet sand with 400, 600, 800. Wash and rinse.
-Apply another coat of primer, make sure it is smooth, otherwise wetsand with 800 or 1000 until it is. Then of course wash and rinse.
-Apply 3 coats of base.
-Let dry
-Scuff up with 1000 grit
-Apply a 4th coat of base and let dry. I would say let it cure for a week, possibly even longer. In a nice, cool, dust free setting. I would def. suggest using a spray gun for this job also, along with the primer and clear coat.
-Come back to the panels after they are completely dry and apply however many coats of clear that you would like.
-Apply however many coats of clear that you would like!
I do remember someone on camaroz28.com mentioning there is a company that makes an interior dye that is like paint that can be used in a spray gun! I just can't find the thread right now or remember the company name!
Old 02-20-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Update?

Quick Reply: Car Update 2/21/06 PICS!!! (56k Ehhh how bout no)