Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing a grill

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Removing a grill

I have an 02 SS and want to take off that plastic ugly black grill, a billet grill is in the near future, but i think the under part looks better than the black plastic, i already unclipped the sides and bottom, but how about getting the top out? do you just pull it or does it clip out or what, help would be appreciated thanks
Old 02-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I removed mine I cut the plastic pieces holding it on from the top. The bottom was removed pretty easily but the top did require cutting it.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

close your eyes and pull
Old 02-22-2006, 09:12 PM

just pull, but if you have a repainted bumper which sounds like you dont. you would want to be a little bit more careful when pulling it, because you have a better chance of cracking the paint as the stock paint has much more flex additive then most aftermarket paintjobs, just my .02 though
Old 02-22-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Just did this today on a buddy's 02 SS actually.

There are two "tabs" on the grill, one on each side. They are located on the right and left sides. Simply grab a side and gently pull it and each one of these will pop out. Next, you have a couple along the center top and bottom edges. The way we had success today was to take one of the sides that you already have out just a bit and begin to twist it. I started with the right side, pulled it forward and toward the center (as if I was trying to fold it in half) and then also pulled either down or up at the same time. This caused either the top or bottom (depending on which way you pull) to pop out of the other holes.

The best way I had to pull on it without cracking the paint was to get just one or two of them out, then steady the bumper with one hand as I pulled with the other. Simply get your hand behind the grill just a bit, get some pressure right by the tab, then pull outward as you push the bumper back in. Wasn't too bad, just required some force.