Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Those with raptor hood read please

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my Raptor a few months ago and modified the factory latch to work. WIth the latch installed on the hood, you bend the entire latch down and then the piece that you actually pull to open the hood you bend it up towards the hood. So the whole latch gets pushed down and then the part that would normally be parallel to the hood you bend up towards the hood. This WILL allow it to function as a normal latch and work fine.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trent
I just got my Raptor a few months ago and modified the factory latch to work. WIth the latch installed on the hood, you bend the entire latch down and then the piece that you actually pull to open the hood you bend it up towards the hood. So the whole latch gets pushed down and then the part that would normally be parallel to the hood you bend up towards the hood. This WILL allow it to function as a normal latch and work fine.
I might try this if I can't get a seperate one from Suncoast. Not sure how comfortable I am with bending it while it's on the hood though.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Update on this: I ordered a raptor hood latch, got it finally, and tried to make it work ... it still doesn't!! It almost closes completely but the handle part of the latch is still hitting up against the top of the hood when it comes close to latching. I DO NOT want to force it, and need some advice please. Are the firebird position of where this latches any different then the formula? That is the only thing I can think of as to why it's not working.

I even tried calling suncoast back and asking advice, all I got from them was very very poor customer service. Basically just told me he had no idea what to tell me and that was all! Can someone please help me on this so I can use this latch. Thank you.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:05 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what mine looked like on my Trans Am. The latches should be the same no matter which model it is.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

They are different though. The one that suncoast sent me for the raptor hood is shorter and bent slightly different. Do you have a pic of the one on your purple formula with the raptor hood on it?
Old 04-05-2006, 01:16 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Same as my Trans Am..
Old 04-05-2006, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

Damn, I just don't understand this. That is the same as the one that suncoast sent me, but it is different then the one that came off my stock hood. It fits on there fine just like your in the picture, but when I go to close it, the bottom hook part doesn't go over the latch, before the handle part presses itself up against the bottom of the hood ....?

hell I don't know what's wrong ...
Old 04-05-2006, 01:59 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Originally Posted by Fad2blk_98
Hmmm, mine wouldn't go on there at all. When it was put on, the lever part to release was hitting the top of the hood..? Was your bent or something to make it work?

As for the fitment, it does fit pretty good. The sides by the top of the hood don't fit perfectly lined up with the fenders, but everywhere else is pretty dead on.
Just saw this.

I'm assuming the body shop used a latch that Suncoast supplied or modified mine somehow. I dont know what a "stock" latch looks like nor what Suncoast's shorter latch looks like so I wouldn't know the difference. I adjusted the fit of the hood itself, but didnt mess with the latch at all.

As for fit, I have a slightly larger gap than stock around my headlights, the hood rubs slightly in the very middle where it meets the bumper, and the corners back by the doors are ever so slightly off. It lines up with the curves of the fenders and from side to side very well though. Not the best fitting aftermarket hood I've seen, but nowhere near the worst either.

EDIT: Read page 2 and saw Dr. Evyl's pics. Mine looks like that pretty much so I'm guessing the body shop used the Suncoast supplied latch.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:30 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for trying to help guys. I'll get some pics tomorrow to try and show you what I'm talking about. I guess I'm going to need to modify it somehow. The hood fits pretty good everywhere. It sit's a little lower then flush up top on the sides, and I have a little bit of rubbing also in the very middle where it meets the bumper. Not sure if any of that is playing a part in this or not.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can put a spacer between the latch and the hood...it might lower it far enough away from the hood so that you can close it? im not sure if it will make the hood sit too high, but its worth a shot.

Quick Reply: Those with raptor hood read please