Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Battery was leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery was leaking

My battery has been leaking....Getting my new one today. Any suggestions on how to clean the area where it leaked?
Old 02-28-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, mine leaked a while back. Go get some LYNX Battery Cleaner from autozone or pep boys. You might have to ask for it, it's a plain looking red can, like a spray can. Anyways, it is a pretty hard core cleaner, so it is going to take paint off from your bay, but you really need to go ahead and do it, that way you wont rust or ruin any of the hoses in there. You just spray a good amount of it over whatever has the acid on it, let it set for a few minutes, then flush it out with water and dry it with a towel or paper towels. You may have to do it a couple times to be safe, and you might also use a wire brush on some of it. Then you'll have to get that section repainted if its important to you.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

Baking soda and water will neutralize the acid from the battery and not eat the crap out of your paint. I did that on my Sonoma when the battery leaked and rusted the battery tray. I ended up replacing the battery tray though when I found a brand new one for $10 on ebay. Luckily Camaro/Firebirds have plastic battery trays but the acid can still eat the fenderwell/front frame rails.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wont the battery acid eat up a good portion of the paint anyways though?
Old 02-28-2006, 10:59 PM
12 Second Club

Battery acid may eat the paint but I sure as hell wouldn't put another acid on to clean it off. You want a base to neutralize the battery acid, not another acid to eat even more stuff up! Paint over any places where the battery acid did take off the paint.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think the LYNX stuff is acidic. I may be wrong. That is what some GM techs told me to use though.

Quick Reply: Battery was leaking