Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

turtle wax "ice" wax

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Articz28 are there any cruises in the Va area coming up? I would really like to meet some other f-bodies around here.
-Brandon
Old 03-20-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1_man
Cool thanks for the advice. How long should I let the polish and wax sit before I buff it off. And how long should I work the polish and wax before I buff it off?
-Thanks Brandon
Don't use a lot of polish and work it into an area until it looks like it has disappeared or is barely noticeable. Some like to spray a mix of 50/50 alcohol/water on it to wipe it off but it's not absolutely necessary. Just buff it off once you achieve the results you want. Then apply the wax by hand and just let it dry to a haze and wipe it off.

As for the cruises, I have no idea. Not many meets around here (I've actually yet to hear of one in our area). Although, I think there is something in annandale but I've kind of lost track lately cuz I've been real busy. Try perusing around on the Eastern Members section of the forum, even though there usually isn't much stuff posted about VA happenings. I'm always down for meeting others, just never seems to be much of an opportunity.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

This ICE stuff is incredible, I have no clue how long it lasts, but ease of use has me sold. Takes no hard rubbing or anything to remove and makes the black plastic parts look new again. My wife has a black mica Mazda 3(pearl paint), had minor scratches and took her car through a auto car wash, went home and did a coat of the ICE stuff on the car and it looks amazing. Looks like a new car and all the minor scratches are hidden now...is so shiny and smooth, this stuff is great. I have done my car with 2 coats and her car with 1 and you can't even hardly tell I used any out of the bottle. I would say you can do your car 20 times per bottle. They also sell a spray version for in between using the ICE to keep it shiny and has clarified carnuba wax in it. Haven't tried it yet because the regular stuff is so easy to use I could always put it in a spray bottle if needed. I did notice the oily residue and was mainly from the microfiber cloth, after I did my car I used it on other car and on the black it showed up, so just used a new towel and was good. It works great at making the windows shine too.. I sound like I work for turtle wax, but is rare to find a quick and easy product like this.
BTW: I went to the turtle wax site and looked at some info on the ice stuff..It says it is self cleaning and remnoves old layers each time you add it, so multiple coats wouldn't do much. It also claims it should be applied 4 times a year, so that means I bottle can last a few years. I would think the most it would last is a month or so, but even at that it is nice. I would say for best results a good wash, claybar the car and apply the ICE and should look like glass.

Last edited by rotwiler; 03-20-2006 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i told yall! all you non-believers need to try this stuff its pretty kick-***. Rotwiler did that site say if using the wax more than the 4 times a year would mess up your paint or anything? is there such a thing as over-waxing your car? i use the turtle wax leather cleaner too, ive been using that since i got my car it works really good and its pretty effortless and quick. it cleans the seats really well and conditions and protects really well. so maybe yall can try that leather cleaner too...listen to me i should go work for these people
Old 03-20-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

This stuff is confusing as hell. It is called a polish but in the description everywhere I look it talks about "waxing" the car with it. That makes no sense, it's either a polish or a wax.

osvaldo - the worst thing that happens if you wax a lot is that it builds up, but that's nothing a little dishwashing detergent and water can't take off.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by osvaldo
i told yall! all you non-believers need to try this stuff its pretty kick-***. Rotwiler did that site say if using the wax more than the 4 times a year would mess up your paint or anything? is there such a thing as over-waxing your car? i use the turtle wax leather cleaner too, ive been using that since i got my car it works really good and its pretty effortless and quick. it cleans the seats really well and conditions and protects really well. so maybe yall can try that leather cleaner too...listen to me i should go work for these people
It said on the site, everytime you apply the ICE, it cleans the car again so it doesn't build up. So multiple applications wouldn't really help much. It contains no water, so it cleans and polishes in 1 step. I would say using a clay bar first would give great results. I wouldn't think it falls into a wax or polish category. To me it is like a cleaner/paint protectant all in 1 because to me a polish requires polishing, this stuff just wipes on and off. It does say on the site you can use a buffer too. The stuff they sell in the spray bottle is water based and contains clarified carnuba wax along with some of the same stuff as the main ICE product. So the spray will not strip it off and add another layer. I might pick some of that up too. It said on the site (Ice polish will cause water to bead on an automotive finish like a fine wax or polish. Ice will bead water and shine for at least 3 to 4 months under normal weathering conditions. However Ice is easy to use and works so well on all exterior surfaces including plastic, chrome, and rubber you may find yourself applying the product more often maintain a high reflective shine.)

Last edited by rotwiler; 03-21-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

lt1man - try goin to www.fbodycentral.com/forums an signing up there - alot of guys from va on that site, as well as md. as far as a meet, we got one comin up at a local hooters down here in hampton if u wanna join us. if ur familiar with the area at all, its the hooter's at the mercurcy blvd./coliseum dr. intersection, rite across from outback steakhouse. meetin up at 7pm.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by camaroguy_02
lt1man - try goin to www.fbodycentral.com/forums an signing up there - alot of guys from va on that site, as well as md.
Yea, lots of good people on that site I've never seen so many people back up such wrong things. But hey, to each their own, you may like it. Just PM if you ever need any work done as I can always share a few pointers here and there based on experience
Old 03-22-2006, 01:38 AM
Banned

I'm going to try this stuff out
Old 03-22-2006, 01:40 AM
Banned

BTW: It can be applied in direct sunlight

"A single application will provide extraordinary shine however, multiple layers will further increase depth of gloss and shine"
So there you go guys you can put multiple layers
Old 03-22-2006, 02:04 AM
12 Second Club

Im gonna go a can of this tomorrow.. maybe do a nice little detail on my car this weekend.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i bought the spray last night and am going to try it today if the weather is nice, i want to also put the wax on so it's a double effect!
Old 03-22-2006, 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sycotic_reject
i bought the spray last night and am going to try it today if the weather is nice, i want to also put the wax on so it's a double effect!
The spray isn't the same formula as the stuff in the bottle, is for between using the bottle stuff, the spray is water based, so you need to do the bottle ICE, then the spray.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1 GG
BTW: It can be applied in direct sunlight

So there you go guys you can put multiple layers
That confused me, since the site says it is a self cleaning polish and removes old layers when new ones are applied. Multi layers coudn't hurt, but on the same facts page, it says multi layers give a better shine. Either way, this stuff is great. Here is a picture on the wifes black car with only taking the car through the automatic touchless car wash and went home and put some of the turtle wax ice on. for at most 20 minutes worth of work it looks amazing.

Last edited by rotwiler; 03-22-2006 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

everybody says this stuff is great...as soon as it nice out im gonna claybar and try out this stuff
Old 03-22-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd like for the company to figure out what it actually is (a polish that you can use multiple times to achieve increasingly better/more abrasive results, a cleaner wax that only takes off the prior layer when adding a new layer, or a plain old wax that gets better shine/layers with each use) before I actually try it. It obviously has good (in terms of looks) results, but I've never really been a fan of covering up stuff rather than fixing it, no matter how good it looks for the time being. Either way, gonna wait this one out a bit as more people post about it (and possibly turtle wax figures out what exactly they're manufacturing).
Old 04-26-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

omg this stuff sold me this **** is awsome the ease of use and the shine!!!! wow i put 3 coats on and it looked better with every coat.... and to be honest i would of never used turtle wax.... but heard good things and said what the hell let me try i love this stuff going put 3 more coats on tomorrow
Old 04-26-2006, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

I actually bought it... tried it on my beater... took it back and got some Meguiars NXT.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Avengeance
I actually bought it... tried it on my beater... took it back and got some Meguiars NXT.
haha
Old 04-27-2006, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

I have been using meguires NXT and that stuff used to be the ****...now it sounds like this ICE stuff is much better.... I would like to hear opinions from people who have used NXT and ICE as to which one is better etc... My NXT bottle is almost new so I dont wanna go out and try something else if it really isnt that much better.

Quick Reply: turtle wax "ice" wax