Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Real HID T/A lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those lights are the best thats how they should have come from the factory. how did you mount the projector to the headlight bracket? Also how did you wire up the lights?
Old 03-23-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lo_jack
Those are fantastic.

Do you not need a plastic housing over the projector lens to protect it? Or is that the beauty of flip down lights?

Also did you fab your bracket/housing up such that the stock aimers still work? Looks like you made a plate that bolts onto the same thing as the old sealed bulb. Very clever.

BTW the black looks great. Nice job.
Like i explained to a guy on a different site with the same concern about the protection over the projector, it could be useful, but its not required. Alot of companies have been using glass housings over headlights for a very long time. If they were so ineffective why would they still be used? Also, the lens on the projector is at least twice as thick as most of the glass headlights out there already. The icing on the cake is that they are completely protected 80% of the time.

As for the stock aiming screws, yes they still work. That was one of my goals when i set out to make them.

The wiring and the brackets are pretty simple. Although I should have used a harness designed for use with the ballast ( high amp draws on startup) I went without. I just connected the ballast power to the headlight harness. The bracket is the stock sealed beam retaining plate that holds those ugly sealed beams in place. I trimmed the back of the headlight housing, and adapted the projector to bolt to that plate.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks man I hope I can do that some day
Old 06-12-2006, 07:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, I just saw this thread. Sorry to bring it back up.

Great work on the cosmetic side. Nicest I've seen so far.

Do you know of any other threads of TA's running projectors or HID?
Old 06-12-2006, 07:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

there are a couple that i know of, ill try to find some. some are really old. also, ive updated mine, so they dont have the high beam square high beam light anymore. its only one round bi xenon projector. ill try to get some pics added asap.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know what you mean. I'm making some fixed lights with E46 projectors, right now. I'm converting them to bi-xenon and am just going to have the one projector per side. Do you like having a HID high beam now?
Old 02-15-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want some...
Old 02-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Some more HID threads/info for those interested:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/620634-firebird-projector-headlights.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/623222-ok-what-s-best-hid-s-out-there.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/260826-hid-retrofit.html
(check out page 3 for 1998-2002 Firebird)
Old 06-05-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I gotta bring this back up. I think this sealed the deal for me and deciding projector or not. This setup is the best I've seen. I have crappy eurolamps now and 8000K H7 setup so I'm 100% it'll be night/day difference like it was when I installed the HIDs.

Would you happen to have some more info on how you installed them and what you used? Also, I have H7's now so does that mean I wouldn't need new capsules if I didn't want to change color temp? Any new pictures of your new setup? Want to sell your old one if you still have it?

Quick Reply: Real HID T/A lights