Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

!HELP! Water Spots?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default !HELP! Water Spots?????

ok I have a problem here. Hopefully someone has an answer. I had my car parked at work, I was not there when the sprinkler system came on, because they were working on it, so by the time i found out about this and that the back end of my car had a bath in WELL WATER, it had already dried. so after work, which was only another hour at the most, i took the car and washed it. I realized that just washing it was not getting rid of the dried well water marks. so then I tried wax, that didnt work. so I tried a cleaner wax, no luck. then I tried the clay bar, nothing. So what can I use to get these well water marks off the back of may car. Please help.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

You might try some distilled white vinegar.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ZaneO
You might try some distilled white vinegar.
Will that work for the water spots on glass too? I have the exact same problem with a sprinkler at my apartment.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

It could.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ruchillws6
then I tried the clay bar, nothing.
Uh-Oh. If the clay bar didn't work, I got nothin' bro.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 32of32
Uh-Oh. If the clay bar didn't work, I got nothin' bro.
thats not cool, i got the same thing all over my car the other day and i slept in so the sun like baked it into the paint, i was also hoping the all powerful claybay would work too but geuss ill be trying the vinegar
Old 03-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

i will try the distilled vinegar tomorrow. the things i did try got rid off them alittle but you can look at the car a certain angels when the light hits it right and you can still see the water marks. and when it got damp out tonight you can really see them. its enough to drive you nuts. thanks you for the help. i will let you now the results.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

If claybar and vinegar don't work, that's a pretty good indication that they've etched and will need a paint polish to remove them.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Ok.....had this happen before to my friend's 30th T/A. It was BAD!

First....you want to get them off ASAP....otherwise they start etching into the paint.

You need something abrasive to get them off. You might try a PC on high setting. I'm going to do a write-up here soon on Zaino Zpc. I just used it to clean up my engine bay to prep it for Z3. When I used it on hard water spots it seems to work pretty well for taking them off (keep in perspective these are not as nasty as your hard water spots).

If you don't have the resources to go buying a bunch of stuff.....do this. Get a 10" Buffer (you can pick them up at WalMart for $20 if you don't have one). Get 3M Rubbing compound and go at it.

Don't worry....it won't scratch up your paint...I've done it several times before. It is almost guarunteed to reveil scratches that you *Already Have* because it's going to strip off your wax......don't panic. If it takes them off.....great! Re-wax your car and it will look great.

You're going to have to go ABRASIVE to get them off.....there's really not other way. The water spots from appartment complex sprinklers are nasty....I think they put some kind of fertilizer in them.

As for the Glass....the product you want to find and order is "A-MAZ" Clean & Clear Water Stain Remover. My friend got it from a glass shop....but you should be able to find it on the net.

It is ABRASIVE and don't get it on yor paint. Also, don't use it on your mirrors....it will scratch them up. You can probably use it lightly....but beware. It works WONDERS on glass whether you have spots or not.....it is wonderful.

That's my $.02. Been there....done that. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Launching!

Well water usually contains lots of sodium compared to a treated water system. I would suggest that a rubbing compond would be the easy and quickest way. Washed my truck at someone's house that ran off a well. Did the same thing with the permanent water spots. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

Just curious.....any luck getting those spots out?
Old 03-21-2006, 09:55 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

mrws6speed - will A-MAZ work on the really bad, etched and baked water spots on glass (like T-tops)? I've tried everything else (white vinegar, rubbing compound, mothers chrome polish, CLR, even each with 0000 steel wool) but nothing even touches the spots.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

I've gone through all those you've mentioned. A-MAZ is in a totally different class....it will work when others won't even touch it.

If the spots are already etched in the glass.....that may be another story. It will remove the minerals....but the glass will still be damaged.

That's why I recommended to take them off ASAP!!!

BTW Ruchillws6.....did you ever get things taken care of?
Old 03-22-2006, 03:19 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

where can I get A-MAZ?
Old 03-22-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

I just did a search....here are a couple of links. Doesn't matter where you get it....my friend got it from a glass shop and then gave me a jar (that's what we used to get the water spots off his 30th)

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/sto...3&Item_ID=1161

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/A-MAZ...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-01-2006, 06:23 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

what was your method using the AMAZ? I have some now, and it does show some signs of working when I rubbed it in by hand. Did you use a PC? what speed? I would guess high speed.

I also got some DP Glass Restorer from autogeek. Haven't had a chance to apply that with the PC yet either.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I used Zaino glass polish on my t-tops because they were so spotted. It took them out no problem.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:32 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

JB- what was your method to use the polish? how bad were the spots? what had you tried previously? looking for comparison type results.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:31 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

DURAGLOSS WATER SPOT REMOVER - GLASS (#755)

just got some of this stuff yesterday at a local car show. rubbed it with a damp dish washing scrubbing pad by hand. it looks really good. it seems to be better then the AMAZ or the DP Glass Restorer I tried before.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

rubbing alcohol for paint, and lighter fluid for glass, i had this happen to mine, abosuly nothing took them off, but those 2 did!

Quick Reply: !HELP! Water Spots?????