Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fiberglass Hoods with hood struts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting... Thanks for the responses. Maybe I'll just end up hooking the struts up, since no one has had any problems over time.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
Some good examples of engineered plastics are the GM Saturn. It's body panels are comprised mostly of plastic. Most front and rear fascias are plastic as well. Also the front fenders of the 2002 Trans Am are engineered plastic.

I have personally seen a Saturn get rammed by one of those stupid automatic contraptions that the lazy people at Walmart use to push the carts with. An idiot let the machine run into the side of the car and you couldn't even tell it happened! Good engineering!
Old 03-20-2006, 06:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
Well if your talking about the company that I think your talking about , it says that there hood is made of the same "OEM material"

Taken from there website...................

More and more today, OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers) are using engineered plastics as the product of choice for body panels on their vehicles. There is a good reason for that. They are lighter in weight, which makes vehicles more fuel-efficient, plastic does not rust and it does not damage easily.

Some good examples of engineered plastics are the GM Saturn. It's body panels are comprised mostly of plastic. Most front and rear fascias are plastic as well. Also the front fenders of the 2002 Trans Am are engineered plastic.

The OEMs rarely, if ever, use hand-laid fiberglass components because it is unstable and will crack and distort over time.. It also adds a lot of unwanted weight. Since hand-laid fiberglass ram air hoods are made by hand, they are more susceptible to imperfections and misfits.

Engineered plastics are the perfect choice because in the long-run, they hold up better, are lighter, easier to paint, have better impact resistance and make for a perfect fit every time. Engineered plastics are not to be confused with urethane plastic parts, which are often used in the aftermarket. Unlike urethane parts (where paint does not adhere well), primer and paint stick very well to engineered plastic.

Why hassle with the problems of a fiberglass ram air hood when you can have a ram air hood made of the same quality OEM materials that GM & other OEM's use on their vehicles?
Yes, that is the site I'm refering to. I'm planning on ordering one of those hoods this week so I'm very interested in this thread. However, the WS6 must be one of the rare exceptions they are talking about because I know for a fact that WS6 hoods are fiberglass. Don't forget that Corvettes were made of fiberglass for many years - so OEMs do use it. Maybe it's done by machine for consistancy (I don't know how because I've only done it by hand myself).
Old 03-20-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a fiberglass hood as well, and my stock hood struts do not work AT ALL.
The hood won't close.
I was using just one strut for a while, but I stopped that too cuz it creates uneven pressure on the hood.

So for right now I'm not using any struts until I can find another option or some old worn out ones or something.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WhiteKnightZ28
Tomorow I'll do a little write up with pics on how to mod your stock struts to use a pin, its been working great for me.
I'm guessing you just drill a hole in the strut body (thus eliminating the 'pressure' behind the strut), and use a small cotter pin or similar? Stick the pin in the hole to prop the hood open when you want, pull the pin to close the hood.

That sounds like a pretty good idea. My only question would be how far in to the strut body does the strut shaft extend at "full open"?
Old 03-20-2006, 02:13 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
I'm guessing you just drill a hole in the strut body (thus eliminating the 'pressure' behind the strut), and use a small cotter pin or similar? Stick the pin in the hole to prop the hood open when you want, pull the pin to close the hood.

That sounds like a pretty good idea. My only question would be how far in to the strut body does the strut shaft extend at "full open"?
Bingo!

Don't worry, a write up with pics will be coming in a few hours.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:48 PM
Tech Resident

As promised:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/472944-lightweight-hood-strut-mod-how.html
Old 03-22-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The parts manual lists the same part number for the hood struts on a T/A (metal hood) as on a WS6 (fiberglass hood). So it would seem that GM thinks it's OK to use the stock struts with fiberglass - at least on their own hoods.
The OEM hoods are not Fiberglass, there made from SMC (sheet moulding compound) it has the same expansion rate as steel and is mutch stronger than Fiberglass. Like I said it wont happen over night but it will most likely happen, keep an eye on it and remove the struts at the first sign of trouble.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass Hoods with hood struts?