Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

PC not removing scratches - What next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you consider "normal" scratch removal? Without being able to see it, no one can really know what you are dealing with.

1500 and 2000 are pretty aggressive to start out with - they will *really* dull the surface. 3000 would be better, IMO. Have you considered how difficult it might be to remove sanding scratches with the PC??
Old 03-22-2006, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

I will post some pics tonite that show the scratches. I will take them in daylight so they can show up.

I read a write-up on a detailing site. Yes it would dull the finish, but it should come back with polishing. I didn't see 3000 paper but maybe it would be best to start there. Actually the site said to finish lighter than you start, ie if you start w 1500, then end with 2000. Maybe I will wait until I visit the bodyshop before I do the wet sand.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WADDISME
Yes it would dull the finish, but it should come back with polishing.
I can guarantee they were referring to a rotary buffer, not an orbital polisher. Very few people will recommend the PC for major corrective work. It can be done, but it requires lots of time and effort.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

I took my car outside to get some pics in the sunlight of the scratches, but you cannnot see them in the sum. It is only under the florescents in the garage. Maybe I a am being to **** about the scratches. Going to finish out the rest of the car this weekend and move on to the TA. thanks for the info guys. It has been a real learning experience.

Quick Reply: PC not removing scratches - What next?