Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What's your opinion on Maaco?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 06:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh-Oh........ Better get Maaco!!!!! P.O.S paint job!! This from personal experiences!! I would let them touch my car.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

DEMONBIRD thats a lot of paintjobs done on yor cars, but you have not posted any experience of your own doing a car, which you clearly have no experience doing. Also, how am I contradicting myself when you just said that 12 hours can have a car prepped and painted?

Lastly, idiot, orangepeel comes from waiting too long in between coats.

And for the record, I am not saying Maaco is a great place to go nor do I work there, but on a budget if you know how to prep a car then maaco is a great place to go, just look at some of their work beforehand to make sure they do decent work.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sk8runeg
DEMONBIRD thats a lot of paintjobs done on yor cars, but you have not posted any experience of your own doing a car, which you clearly have no experience doing.
Try taking up READING, it's a GREAT habit to get into... I SAID I worked on the targa top car and it was painted 3 times!!! Not only do I have experience with prep work/painting but also custom.

Lastly, idiot, orangepeel comes from waiting too long in between coats.
Are you mentally retarded? Seriously?!? You said orange peel is not because of a shitty painter... ONCE AGAIN, WHO IS IT THAT IS NOT WAITING THE PROPER TIME BETWEEN COATS??? THE PAINTER!!!

And for the record, I am not saying Maaco is a great place to go...
maaco is a great place to go, just look at some of their work beforehand to make sure they do decent work.
It's like I am having a conversation with Rain Man...
Old 05-14-2006, 04:18 PM
12 Second Club

great job taking words out of context retard...

Well since your clearly the paint guru of the world then im gonna leave it here before this poor mans thread gets locked...

See ya around *******
Old 05-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Banned

great job taking words out of context retard...

Well since your clearly the paint guru of the world then im gonna leave it here before this poor mans thread gets locked...

See ya around *******
It's on topic why would it be locked ?

Originally Posted by MrDomino
What's your opinion on Maaco?
He's just getting two very opionated people's opinions on the subject

Anyways, Sk8runeg it just pissed me off when you called me an idiot for no reason so I let you have it... my animosity towards you ends in this post.

You have your opinion I have mine. There's a reason I have mine. It comes from MUCH experience HAVING cars painted and PAINTING cars... I guess there's a reason you have yours.

My last thought on the topic, I don't see how you could POSSIBLY get a decent paint job for $300 to $1000 as the materials should be at least around $400...

I DO believe (let me rephrase, KNOW) you can get a good job from a good painter for $1500-$2500 (higher end for the color change) who just has a low over head and can charge less.

$3000 + you better d@mn well be getting a color change and/or color sanding and/or an expensive @ss style of paint (House of Kolor, etc...) or Chip Foose better be signing your car when it's done...
Old 05-14-2006, 10:45 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have no clue what you're talking about. $3K will not get you a quality color change. If it would, I'd do it.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TS6
You have no clue what you're talking about. $3K will not get you a quality color change. If it would, I'd do it.
Oh Lord, here we go again...
Old 05-15-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Oh Lord, here we go again...

Old 05-15-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had my old camaro pained at macoo.......if u do get it painted there do the prep work ur self!! the paint is good du pont i think!!
Old 05-15-2006, 03:05 PM
Launching!

I say go for it, if you 1. prep the car your self 2. are VERRY specific on what you want done, 3. get all the jams done and 4. dont exspect the best paint job.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maaco SUCKS! They are one step above Earl Sheib! If I had a POS that I was going to sell and needed to make it look a bit better, I would let them do it, but I would NEVER let them touch my Camaro!! Cheap paint and minimum wage workers with little experience is nothing but a recipe for DISASTER!
Old 05-15-2006, 06:33 PM
12 Second Club

OK everyone, I just had my car painted at maaco... Here are some pics I took with my camera phone while it was in the booth after the paint was baked. Granted the paintjob isnt 100% excellent and perfect, but after a nice wetsand and buff it will look like it is ready for a show. BTW I prepped the car myself and took the spoiler and headlight covers and such off for them to paint off the car. So overall I think for the $800 i paid for a base/clear paintjob with 3 coats of clear, it was pretty damn good. I will get some better pics when I pick it up on the next nice day out and put it all back together.
Attached Thumbnails What's your opinion on Maaco?-picture037.jpg   What's your opinion on Maaco?-picture038.jpg  
Old 05-15-2006, 06:45 PM
Banned

OK everyone, I just had my car painted at maaco... Here are some pics I took with my camera phone while it was in the booth after the paint was baked. Granted the paintjob isnt 100% excellent and perfect, but after a nice wetsand and buff it will look like it is ready for a show. BTW I prepped the car myself and took the spoiler and headlight covers and such off for them to paint off the car. So overall I think for the $800 i paid for a base/clear paintjob with 3 coats of clear, it was pretty damn good. I will get some better pics when I pick it up on the next nice day out and put it all back together.

It's not good when you can see orange peel in a camera phone pic...

Granted you are right, with a wetsand and buff it could look great IF the orange peel is in the clear, not the base and IF there's enough clear on there TO wetsand...

Get us some better pics... could be a helluva deal when finished...

FYI the cars I posted that I said were crap looked GREAT in pics...
Old 05-15-2006, 06:54 PM
12 Second Club

BTW... DEMONBIRD I am sorry for calling you an idiot. It was wrong of me and I apologize.

On that note. Yes there is some orangepeel in places, but there is 3 coats of clear on the car and the entire car is going to be wetsanded and buffed once I get it back and I wait a month or so.

Like I said, I only paid $800 for this paintjob + about 15 hours of prepwork doing that with some friends, and for that price I really cannot complain. And I do think it looks very good, but we will only tell in time.

Last edited by Sk8runeg; 05-15-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Banned

BRW... DEMONBIRD I am sorry for calling you an idiot. It was wrong of me and I apologize.

On that note. Yes there is some orangepeel in places, but there is 3 coats of clear on the car and the entire car is going to be wetsanded and buffed once I get it back and I wait a month or so.

Like I said, I only paid $800 for this paintjob + about 15 hours of prepwork doing that with some friends, and for that price I really cannot complain. And I do think it looks very good, but we will only tell in time.
Holy crap I post on this board so much I didn't even realize this was posted by you !

Now I can understand why our opinions differ, so far you've had a much better experience... Granted if you were paying someone to do the work you put in you'd be closer to the $1500 mark...

Get us some better pics and let's see... I am an honest man if it looks great I'll tell you and won't scrutinize trivial things to make a point. Hopefully it'll turn out great

Putting in all that work hopefully paid off....

On a side note, that paint booth looks nothing like other Maaco's I've seen... the ones I have seen looked more like an assembly line (tape, sand, clean, spray, bake...)
Old 05-15-2006, 07:42 PM
12 Second Club

Ya the paintbooth wasnt stellar, but it was DeVilBiss and didnt seem to bad. I will be picking the car up on wednesday due to the massive amount of rain here in New England, but the car will most likely be a garage queen for a week or so until it clears up outside. I will get some better pics though and post them in the thread I started on Maaco.

-Scott
Old 05-15-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

i had my 72 firebird painted at macco, but i did all the prep work and body work so all they had to do was spray it. It turned out very nice for what i paid, cost me $700.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:58 PM
Banned

Ya the paintbooth wasnt stellar, but it was DeVilBiss and didnt seem to bad. I will be picking the car up on wednesday due to the massive amount of rain here in New England, but the car will most likely be a garage queen for a week or so until it clears up outside. I will get some better pics though and post them in the thread I started on Maaco.

-Scott
I was actually saying the booth was BETTER than what I've seen at other Maacos...
Old 05-15-2006, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
I was actually saying the booth was BETTER than what I've seen at other Maacos...
Oh haha... It did seem like a nice booth, but I'm surer there are better booths. Then again, aboth is a both... But they said theirs is temperature controlled, and i'm assuming it was pressurized from the looks of it.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you're going to paint your car, have it done right.

Quick Reply: What's your opinion on Maaco?