Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How to remove A-pillar 2-gauge autometer pod?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How to remove A-pillar 2-gauge autometer pod?

I didn't put it on, so I'm not exactly sure how to safely remove it without screwing up my pillar. It looks like it has little push pins but I tried pullin on em a good bit and they didn't seem to want to budge. I just want to make sure I don't break the damn thing. I've had some Stewart Warner gauges as well as an AeroForce Interceptor gauge for a couple months and need to stop procrastinating and put em in

Also, how do I add the color boot to the bulb in the gauges? Never had instructions with the gauges and haven't had a chance to check em out since I can't get the pod off the pillar (duh).

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my autometer 2 gauge pod in my eclipse had 4 screws and the little push pins were covers took a flat head screwdriver and popped them off then un screwed it don't know if mine was just rigged that way or if that was the way it was supposed to be. and as far as the bulb on autometer you turn the bulb from the back and then slip on the colored condom on the bulb and then its done.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

My main thing is I don't wanna scratch anything up if there is an easy way of removing them. I'm pretty sure mine aren't screwed in though.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

have you thought about taking off the entire pillar and looking how it was put in like that? just a thought dunno if it would work for you
Old 03-26-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Truth. I could do that, but I'd prefer the easier route if possible
Old 03-27-2006, 04:02 AM
TECH Addict

Just a question but why do you need to remove the pillar pod from the stock pillar cover to install the gages?

If the pod was installed correctly the first time there should have been holes drilled in the stock pillar cover underneath to allow the gage wires to pass thru into the gage pod area. If you just remove the entire stock pillar with the pod attached you should be able to install the gages with no problem. Thread the gage wires thru the holes in the stock pillar into the pod area - leave them long enough so they can be connected to the gages before they are finally pushed into position in the pod - the gages slide into the pod from the outside anyway...

In any event, those pins are only pushed in. Thing is they have little grippy ridges on them that make them hard to come back out (which is actually what you want). Best thing is to get some sort of forked tool to slide under the head and pop them back out. Or you could push them back out from the backside - but that would mean you would have to remove the stock pillar cover anyway.

-Jay-
Old 03-27-2006, 08:50 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Truth. I could do that, but I'd prefer the easier route if possible
hahahha i hear you. best of luck to you don't forget to post how you ended up doing it.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
Just a question but why do you need to remove the pillar pod from the stock pillar cover to install the gages?

If the pod was installed correctly the first time there should have been holes drilled in the stock pillar cover underneath to allow the gage wires to pass thru into the gage pod area. If you just remove the entire stock pillar with the pod attached you should be able to install the gages with no problem. Thread the gage wires thru the holes in the stock pillar into the pod area - leave them long enough so they can be connected to the gages before they are finally pushed into position in the pod - the gages slide into the pod from the outside anyway...

In any event, those pins are only pushed in. Thing is they have little grippy ridges on them that make them hard to come back out (which is actually what you want). Best thing is to get some sort of forked tool to slide under the head and pop them back out. Or you could push them back out from the backside - but that would mean you would have to remove the stock pillar cover anyway.

-Jay-
I still won't be able to get the gauges out if i remove the whole pillar b/c the gauges do not pull out of the front of the pod. They are held in place by a horseshoe shaped piece of metal behind the pod, thus requiring the pod to be removed from the pillar.

Quick Reply: How to remove A-pillar 2-gauge autometer pod?