Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Blackbird Stripes: Colors

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
Like I stated - my stripes were painted on when the hood was painted and then cleared over all so there is no perceptible edge on the stripes.

I did have actual vinyl stripes in the very beginning, but they were not purchased from anyone connected with the forum - I had the guy that does my decals make them from dimensions I gave him. Just standard BB stripe design as far as I know - wide center stripe with (2) outer thinner stripes, no fade.

-Jay-
Ok, I guess I just assumed you used one of the two as a template. Looks good though.

One other question - is it just the pictures that make it look so light, or white-ish or is it like that in person too? I could see how the camera could be playing tricks since it is a metallic color.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, just like 2K2WS6TA - my stripes are DEFINITELY metallic silver - I chose the paint code from a standard auto paint chart - in person they are definitely silver - the outside lighting and the distance of the camera from the stripes makes them look as if white.

If you notice, the closeup pic looks much more like silver than do the far away pics. But even far away, with the human eye, they look silver.

-Jay-
Old 04-20-2006, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds good. I can see how it would look different through a picture due to being metallic.

Still haven't seen any pics of the Pewter Metallic on Black though.

Can Afterthoughts send samples or anything?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Updating the thread. Received samples from Josh (FourthCircle). Big props to him...

The samples I asked for were:

Charcoal Metallic
Pewter Metallic
Silver Metallic
Brushed Aluminum

Here are some pics to help anyone else making the same decision. In some shots its hard to tell the pewter from the silver but keep looking and you'll see the difference when I overlay them. It also can look brown/gold in some light but its normally just more of a grey metallic.

In order Charcoal 1, Charcoal 2, Pewter 1, Pewter 2:
Attached Thumbnails Blackbird Stripes: Colors-charcoal-1.jpg   Blackbird Stripes: Colors-charcoal-2.jpg   Blackbird Stripes: Colors-pewter-1.jpg   Blackbird Stripes: Colors-pewter-2.jpg  
Old 06-06-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Silver 1, Silver 2, Aluminum 1, Aluminum 2:
Attached Thumbnails Blackbird Stripes: Colors-silver-1.jpg   Blackbird Stripes: Colors-silver-2.jpg   Blackbird Stripes: Colors-aluminum-1.jpg   Blackbird Stripes: Colors-aluminum-2.jpg  
Old 06-06-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

A few comparisons:
Attached Thumbnails Blackbird Stripes: Colors-colors-1.jpg   Blackbird Stripes: Colors-colors-2.jpg   Blackbird Stripes: Colors-colors-3.jpg  
Old 06-06-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

And more:

I kept the last few bigger so you could see more detail, with the last one being the best I think. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Blackbird Stripes: Colors-colors-4.jpg   Blackbird Stripes: Colors-colors-5.jpg   Blackbird Stripes: Colors-colors-6.jpg  
Old 06-07-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Just as a note, I gave each a long look on the car yesterday and decided on the Silver Metallic. The Pewter looks great until its at an angle - which it then turns to more of a Gold Metallic. The Charcoal is too dark for a black car, and the brushed aluminum just looks cheap IMO, sort of like plastic. The Silver looked the best on my car with Polished wheels. If I had mine powder coated a darker color such as gunmetal, I would probably lean more toward the Charcoal.

Some people may not pay attention but I think it's really important for a car to have a "theme" and to make things match.

Quick Reply: Blackbird Stripes: Colors