Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Freedom design spoiler vs. RK Sport spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

meissenation, THANK YOU SO MUCH man! I'll be placing my order soon haha.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:04 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Spade
Wonder how that freedom spoiler would look with an Ultra Z hood?
Spade you've seen the car before haven't you? That should answer your question though.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ProjectCamaro made up my mind for me. I'm going with the one piece.

I don't know what to do with the rest of my car though. It has the RS bodykit. I feel like I could go two ways right now:

1. Remove body kit totally, pay to have holes filled & sprayed.

2. Buy a new RK sport front lip (the subtle one), paint & install that. I don't like the way the stock one is two piece, like fangs, and on top of that mine is scratched to hell.

I also don't know what to do with the exhaust. I have a magnaflow and the tips **** me off because I can't get them to look right with the rear valance. I either want to just use turndowns (but I don't think they look aggressive enough) or get the CME, but then will the rear valance sit low enough to look okay with the side skirts??

AHHHHHH WHAT TO DO.

Everyone's thoughts would be appreciated. I would like to add the Hardwood Wide Cowl hood too...
Old 04-10-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SRZ
Spade you've seen the car before haven't you? That should answer your question though.

No I never got a chance to see your car. That is pretty funny you had it. I am really thinking about getting one as an alternative to the SS spoiler. Cheaper to boot!
Old 04-10-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Keliente..I would ditched the front skirts and go with Rksports front skirt its very clean and like you mention wraps around the entire front end. Removing the kit leaves alot of holes and discolored areas..so there would be plenty of body work. I can't wait to get the Freedom design!
Old 04-10-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.lmperformance.com/3139/13.html

you can get it there too, shipping is just a bit cheaper....but ya, the Rk is too tall for me, Id love to get the freedom 1 piece.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nikon
http://www.lmperformance.com/3139/13.html

you can get it there too, shipping is just a bit cheaper....but ya, the Rk is too tall for me, Id love to get the freedom 1 piece.
nikon you are a life saver!!!! Thats alot cheaper! Thanks dude!
Old 05-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Sponsor

hi
we have it here

http://www.lmperformance.com/3139/1.html
Old 05-09-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by keliente
I can't find many pics through search.

I'd love to see more camaros with either the freedom design high-rise spoiler (one piece) or the RK Sport 'Performance spoiler' (three-piece high rise).

I already know BitViper has the first one but I'd like to see more. I'm trying to discern if that RK sport one is too tall or not.

Pics would be appreciated!!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...82#post4783382
Old 05-09-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Welcome to the club..

Old 05-10-2006, 12:32 AM
12 Second Club

sorry about the blurry spots

Old 06-09-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Well, I've got my Freedom Designs spoiler sitting in my room and ready to paint but I didn't recieve any instructions on the installation of it. I've got some padding with an adhesive side that looks like it would line the entire area where it mounts to the stock spoiler. Ummm, some padded discs with an adhesive side...and then some plastic zip tie like things with a protrusion in the center. Can someone shed some light?

Also, When I put the spoiler on it seems to have quite a bit more space between the rear quarters and spoiler then what I'm able to see in the pictures. Do you guys have this as well or is this something that's exclusive to me???
Old 06-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Unforgiven1
Well, I've got my Freedom Designs spoiler sitting in my room and ready to paint but I didn't recieve any instructions on the installation of it. I've got some padding with an adhesive side that looks like it would line the entire area where it mounts to the stock spoiler. Ummm, some padded discs with an adhesive side...and then some plastic zip tie like things with a protrusion in the center. Can someone shed some light?

Also, When I put the spoiler on it seems to have quite a bit more space between the rear quarters and spoiler then what I'm able to see in the pictures. Do you guys have this as well or is this something that's exclusive to me???
It's supposed to come with bolts... two on each end and two in the middle...

This thing is a MAJOR PITA to install!!! The "adhesive discs are usually used so you can mark where to drill the holes but they SUCK!!!

Here's what I say to do (assuming you have no hardware with it):

Take the spoiler into a hardware store and find 6 1/4" (I think maybe 1/2") machine threaded screws (I used flat head but phillips will work as well) that fit the threads on the bottom of the spoiler. Get some washers as well...

Put a piece of masking tape over each hole on the bottom. Leave the tape long and loose so that it will extend past the spoiler when you set it on the car...

Now, with SIX pieces of tape, all stuck to the bottom of the spoiler, covering the hole WITH A HOLE PUNCHED IN THE TAPE WHERE THE HOLE IT IS COVERING IS, set the spoiler on the car and line it up where you want it to be...

Then, TAPE DOWN THE TAPE (man I know this is confusing without pics), you should have six pieces of tape flapping out from under the spoiler SITCKY SIDE UP (because it should be stuck to the bottom of the new spoiler)... tape them all down firmly to the car and GENTLY pulll the spoiler away from them...

IF DONE PROPERLY, you are now left with SIX PIECES OF TAPE, all taped down, AND YOU WILL HAVE A TEMPLATE OF WHERE TO DRILL THE SIX HOLES (so long as you punched holes in the tape when you covered the holes on the spoiler with them)...

Drill your holes, then remove the STOCK spoiler...

The two center holes you can reach by removing the third brake light... two of the side holes (the ones closest to the front of the car) can be reached through and access hole in the bottom of the spoiler (on each side) the last two (on the sides, closest to the back of the car) you must run a LONG drill bit BACK THROUGH THE TOP AND OUT THE BOTTOM so you can have access to screw the new spoiler on. BE CAREFUL, they are close to the back of the stock spoiler, DON'T BREAK THE SPOILER'S WALL...

Screw the six screws in (don't forget the washers or they won't hold worth $hit against the fiberglass) and you're done
Old 06-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
It's supposed to come with bolts... two on each end and two in the middle...

This thing is a MAJOR PITA to install!!! The "adhesive discs are usually used so you can mark where to drill the holes but they SUCK!!!

Here's what I say to do (assuming you have no hardware with it):

Take the spoiler into a hardware store and find 6 1/4" (I think maybe 1/2") machine threaded screws (I used flat head but phillips will work as well) that fit the threads on the bottom of the spoiler. Get some washers as well...

Put a piece of masking tape over each hole on the bottom. Leave the tape long and loose so that it will extend past the spoiler when you set it on the car...

Now, with SIX pieces of tape, all stuck to the bottom of the spoiler, covering the hole WITH A HOLE PUNCHED IN THE TAPE WHERE THE HOLE IT IS COVERING IS, set the spoiler on the car and line it up where you want it to be...

Then, TAPE DOWN THE TAPE (man I know this is confusing without pics), you should have six pieces of tape flapping out from under the spoiler SITCKY SIDE UP (because it should be stuck to the bottom of the new spoiler)... tape them all down firmly to the car and GENTLY pulll the spoiler away from them...

IF DONE PROPERLY, you are now left with SIX PIECES OF TAPE, all taped down, AND YOU WILL HAVE A TEMPLATE OF WHERE TO DRILL THE SIX HOLES (so long as you punched holes in the tape when you covered the holes on the spoiler with them)...

Drill your holes, then remove the STOCK spoiler...

The two center holes you can reach by removing the third brake light... two of the side holes (the ones closest to the front of the car) can be reached through and access hole in the bottom of the spoiler (on each side) the last two (on the sides, closest to the back of the car) you must run a LONG drill bit BACK THROUGH THE TOP AND OUT THE BOTTOM so you can have access to screw the new spoiler on. BE CAREFUL, they are close to the back of the stock spoiler, DON'T BREAK THE SPOILER'S WALL...

Screw the six screws in (don't forget the washers or they won't hold worth $hit against the fiberglass) and you're done
Oh yeah...

and when I had one on my 1994 Z:

Old 06-10-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

Great write up there Demon... mine came with a template to help set it up..it was a PITA mounting that thing
Old 06-10-2006, 12:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BitViper
Great write up there Demon... mine came with a template to help set it up..it was a PITA mounting that thing
Yeah, it's always hit and miss for me...

The first one I bought came PERFECT, with EVERYTHING (bolts, washers, template, instructions, etc....) I tried to mold that one into my stock spoiler, didn't work, trashed it...

Bought another one... it came damged in shipping (looks like a file cabinet was sat down on it, in the middle a triangular shaped chunk was pushed in and pulled back ) and came with bolts but no template...

This one for the 1998 Z (the above both went on my 94) came with no bolts or template, just the spoiler showed up...
Old 06-10-2006, 01:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought one(LG) used/painted off NateSS here on the board...I just took it up to a local body shop to have it installed, since I didn't have a template. They charged $150...which seems pretty reasonable to me. I probably should have had it resprayed, but I can always wet sand it on the car in the future...I'll post a pic once I clean the car this week.

P.S. The gaps to the fenders are a little disconcerting at first, and a true 3 piece in this mold sounds appealing...but then I remember my old 3rd gen with a stock 3pc, and with all the body flex things end up misaligned in the long run.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Yeah, it's always hit and miss for me...

The first one I bought came PERFECT, with EVERYTHING (bolts, washers, template, instructions, etc....) I tried to mold that one into my stock spoiler, didn't work, trashed it...

Bought another one... it came damged in shipping (looks like a file cabinet was sat down on it, in the middle a triangular shaped chunk was pushed in and pulled back ) and came with bolts but no template...

This one for the 1998 Z (the above both went on my 94) came with no bolts or template, just the spoiler showed up...
Guess I was lucky
Old 01-22-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i just ordered the freedom 1 piece spoiler and once again thanks DemonBird for the valuable info.

I notice everyone paints them body color, how do you think it would look on my BGM painted gloss black to match the roof and mirrors?

I think it would look decent and would tie in the semi gloss berger pretty good.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would paint it to match the color of the car. I think it would look outa place if it were a different color even if it did match the top of the car. Will probably flow better with the car as well. Thats just my opinion though.

Quick Reply: Freedom design spoiler vs. RK Sport spoiler