Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

SLP HO Ram Air hood ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP HO Ram Air hood ???'s

Hiyas

Just got the hood for my 99 TA put on last week. They are going to wait 2-3 weeks for it to fully cure before they paint it and put in the grilles.

I saw the *baffles?* grey covering which looks as if the air inlets are sealed off, and assumed when they painted the car and put int he grilles, that it would be removed.

When I went by today for them to fix the hood release, seems the hood is a tad bit thicker than the stock non ram air hood, and thus the handle cant be pulled up enough. They simply cut into the metal on the handle a little bit so it can be beant down and thus ultimately *higher* and allows the release to clear the catch and the hood raised.

Whew.. I think I confused myself

Anyways. They mentioend that they weren;t planning on removing the plate looking backing blocking the air inlets, saying it looks welded in there. Well.. Im lost isnt it fiberglass and not metal? The plate feels like fiberglass, looks like it was epoxied or something to seal it on the edges and to lock it down.

Behind that plate are about 4-6 inlet holes that seem to dump out near the stock intake lid.

It feels like the bottom is sealed as are the edges, but that the top is open, and thus I guess its a baffle to allow air up into the inlets then up and over the baffle, thru the inlets and then into the air lid?

Whew.. ok so assuming any of the above is right, is there any hard in just removing this baffle? Or to removve most of it? Once the front grilles are in place. ?

I have yet to see the front grilles, so I am not sure what they look like yet. I was all in shock when he said that the hood didnt appear to be true ram air.

What would true ram air be then?

I have a volant CAI kit ready to put on, but now im wondering if it is even necessary, or would it be enhanced by removing the baffles/plate?

Can it just be cut out? Anyways.

I tried to search this, but I guess im the only retard who is having or wondering about these issues hehe.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

They are fiberglass. The baffle is their to block rain, if you drive it alot in the rain then leave it alone, if not you can take a dremel and cut it out. It would be best to do this before you put the grills in.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Well I do drive it in the rain on occassion. rarely wuld I ever HAVE to drive it in the rain.

I'm just wondering How much of a difference it would make in cutting out the baffle and putting in say the Volant intake? Vs a whisper lid etc.

If the baffles are cut-out, would it be good to try and fill in some of the area past the grille to make it a more tunnel like inlet?

I have the ftra already installed and did the free ram air mod tot he box as well.. Which I imagine I would redo on the volant as well.

I just never figured that it would have the baffles. Sorta thought the grille would keep out most of the moisture and leaves haha
Old 04-04-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Regular

Im not sure if the Volant will fit, if it does please let me know. As far as filling in to make a tunnel inlet........I woudnt think it would be worth the time and effort. I messered the height and width of my lid and cut the back of my hood to match.

As far as driving in the rain....... I dont but I keep a piece of cardboard just in case.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

dont cut it out. what happens when your out on a smooth sunday drive and you get that sudden downpour? you forget that your baffles are gone and simply push on. out of no where your car loses power and the check engine light comes on or worse, completely dies. if you dont get into a wreck from it, or hydro lock your engine, whats the most your gonna gain? 1,2, or maybe 3 horses at the crank at wide open throttle going 140 mph....
Old 04-04-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Wow. So there is a goo reason to keep em Well I haven't tried putting in the Volant system yet, but it looks sexy

Ill post back here tomorrow and let you know..

Currently lettign the old K&N filter dry. silly 50 degree nights..

Funny for as much as the Volant system costs, you would think they could send you some of the recharging system stuff with it. bastages.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Wow. So there is a goo reason to keep em Well I haven't tried putting in the Volant system yet, but it looks sexy

Ill post back here tomorrow and let you know..

Currently lettign the old K&N filter dry. silly 50 degree nights..

Funny for as much as the Volant system costs, you would think they could send you some of the recharging system stuff with it. bastages.

Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: SLP HO Ram Air hood ???'s