Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Underbody Painting

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Underbody Painting

I am interested in makin the underbody of my car awesome. It is an 02 so there isn't much rust on it. The rear axle is bad and a the normal patch here and there. I am also going to paint my Rotors where there is rust. I think it would be a great idea to do my fenderwells as well.

I dont like using spray paint because it creates overspray but what is the best way to go about doing this?

Can anyone give me some steps to make the fenders look breath taking and rust proofing the entire bottom?

Is it necessary to remove all rust before painting? How does that klean strip rust converter work? Ive seen por-15 but that seems a bit expensive.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

best thing to do is clean, clean, clean, if it is a 2002 is should be a good starting point. As far as the rear end is considered, remove it, put it on some jack stands and wirebrush it. From there, spray it with nonsandable primer, then spray it with black enamel paint. at that point, you can go crazy, swaybars, springs, everything, but I would not undercoat the car, it is a pain if you ever need to take something apart.

here is my before and after, enjoy.

before
http://www.organ1zedcha0s.com/z28/su...nt/before1.JPG

after
http://www.organ1zedcha0s.com/z28/su...w%20brakes.JPG
Old 04-05-2006, 08:00 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Links do not work for me.

Never mind.

Last edited by bsf; 04-06-2006 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Figured it out. Dial-up too slow.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm, working fine here?
Old 04-05-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

I used good old Rustoleum black for my rear axle, front spindle supports and brake rotors. Works great, lasts a long time.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

HOLY $@$!! nice job there man! I got a little better to start with but I will have to do some work. Is it worth dropping the rear just to paint it? I just did lcas, phb, and fluid change. Ugh wish i wouldve done it then.

What did you use to clean up the fenderwells, particularly the black parts?
Old 04-06-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used good elbow grease first, cleaned the plastic with purple power and water, then day 2 I used regular car wash, both times a used a combo of a nail brush, heavy scrub brush, and rags. The final step was orange clean, it really took away the grey look, and wont pick up tons of dirt like the tire black will, thanks for the comments, this took about two weeks from start to finish, wished I would have had my new sand blasting cabinet then, because I would have repainted everything. I sand blasted everything outside, and it was cold, so it took awhile. Do you notice the casting lines on the calipers went bye bye? I used a right angle grinder, with a 3m pad on it, I almost just cleared the calipers they were like mirrors, But I figure I will do that out back.

Quick Reply: Underbody Painting