Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Swirl Remover and Wax

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Swirl Remover and Wax

Hey, I am getting the engine bay and interior detailed and was wanting to do the exterior of the car myself. The reason that I am having the interior and engine done for me is because I work 60hrs a week and just dont have time right now. anyway, I am wanting to know what you guys are using as far as swirl remover and wax is concerned. I know that the only real way to get rid of swirls is to get a buff the **** out of it, but i dont have a high speed buffer, and i didnt know if there was another way or product to remove most of them or not? Thanks!
Old 04-06-2006, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just used the meguiars 3 part system its the paint and clear coat scrub/ polish / wax..
the scrub removes all swirl marks and small scratches it is an abrasave... it took me like 4 hours to do all 3 steps and the car looks like it was repainted.. my car is black and you could see everything in the sun.. im very pleased with the products.. only 7 bucks for a each bottle..
Old 04-06-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the Mequiars stuff works great for me...I bought a kit at a super chevy show and i absolutley love it....
Old 04-07-2006, 06:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where else can I buy the Meguiars from? would autozone, or advanced auto have it? Or do i have to buy it online?
Old 04-07-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

This stuff sounds good, I also would like to know where I can get it. My paint is terrible, I would love to get it freshened up.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont waste your time..go to autozone by the sandpaper and get the 3m swirl remover to use as your first step and then use your choice of 2nd and 3rd..Im a firm beleiver(spelling) in this stuff after this weekend..That 3m stuff polished me car back to perfect after I wetsanded it.. do you have a orbital buffer??
Old 04-07-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Don't wetsand if you don't know how to do it. You can ruin your paint.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BADTALS1
i just used the meguiars 3 part system its the paint and clear coat scrub/ polish / wax..
the scrub removes all swirl marks and small scratches it is an abrasave... it took me like 4 hours to do all 3 steps and the car looks like it was repainted.. my car is black and you could see everything in the sun.. im very pleased with the products.. only 7 bucks for a each bottle..
The scrub is NOT an abrasive. It does however clean the paint very well. It allows the polish (this polish in that system is also not an abrasive) and wax to bond to the paint a lot better.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LANDONZ
dont waste your time..go to autozone by the sandpaper and get the 3m swirl remover to use as your first step and then use your choice of 2nd and 3rd..Im a firm beleiver(spelling) in this stuff after this weekend..That 3m stuff polished me car back to perfect after I wetsanded it.. do you have a orbital buffer??
not a good idea, imo.

the whole point of proper paint care is to use the least abrasive compound / chemical / applicator possible to get the job done. If you have years of experience, you can usually guess where to start, if you are new, then have someone else look at your paint and make a suggestion, or start light and work your way up until you find the right combination.

don't take the shorter, lazier way .. it may work fine, but in the long run, the damage to your finish is not worth it.

two or three applications of a mildly abrasive swirl remover is much easier on the paint than a single sanding session.

there are tons of threads on this board, autotopia, meguiars, autogeek, etc.. Read them, and learn the proper way to do it ..

find someone local to you that is willing to take the time to show you what they know.

Invest in the proper equipment, and in the long run, both you and your car will be better off.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LANDONZ

I remember your thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/483170-i-wetsanded.html

You did do an amazing job; I think will try the wax and stuff before the wetsand. I think of wetsand as a last resort, I remember trying it on my brothers car and it messed up. If its done right it can be amazing (the thread above) with the wax and things there is less risk, with wetsand it either works amazing or fails utterly.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Research this topic my friend and you will learn more than you ever wanted to know about products, their uses, and results. I bought the Meguiars 3 step system for my daily driver Jeep, but wasn't all that impressed with it's ability to remove fine swirls from my '00 Z28. Then again, I was working by hand and I think that work needs to be done by some type of buffer.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just bought the 3m pad glaze swirl remover for dark colors. this worked really well to get rid of those small swirls and scrathes. I bought a 6" buffer from sears, decent but not a PC. But it does a good job. After that I followed up with Meguiars NXT. I did this on my S-10 which was driven through the winter so the scrathes are pretty bad. I was really happy with the results.

Quick Reply: Swirl Remover and Wax