Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Grill problem...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grill problem...

So, i am sick and tired of my fugly stock grill and want to get a custom one. But.....here is the twist: In NE we have to have a front license plate (its gay i know). I had a tahoe that i ran without a front license plate and it was only a matter of time till i got a "fix-it" ticket. So, i was wondering what grill you guys would reccommend for a silver SS with a front license plate? Or, should i just pull off the stocker and go with whats behind it? Also, any pics would be awesome!
Old 04-10-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't put it up against the windshield on the dashpad?
Old 04-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Launching!

I did that for a while (the pic in my sig is like that though you cant really tell its in the windshield) but i got pulled over....for exhibition of acceleration (whole other load of crap).....and he said that in NE it has to be in the grill.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Launching!

I mean, i could probably pull it off for a while, but i go to college here in a small town so it would just be a matter of time till i got pulled over (and i cant get another ticket...)
Old 04-10-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, get one of the stull bullit grills and then ziptie the license plate to it.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Well I would go with SLP's front license plate bracket. It attaches from underneath so no need to drill into your grill. And it doesn't require much work to put on and take off. I have and just carry it in the back.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by meissenation
Well, get one of the stull bullit grills and then ziptie the license plate to it.

i have court next week for it...next time i go to wal mart im gettin some zip ties to stick it on the front...gonna be ugly but im tired of avoiding cops..good thing is u can just cut it off if u need to take pics or whatever...then zip that **** back up
Old 04-10-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Glad Im in one of the like 15 states that dont have a front plate law!

Back on topic tho, you could always do the billet grille and zip tie it and then just take it off for shows etc. Or, you could make a magnetic bracket for it out of a chevy emblem and have that be the "housing" so to speak. Then you've got your bling for show's, and your safe once you leave (altho thinking about it more, I dunno how strong of a magnet you'd need to hold on bumps or in the rain etc....just a thought tho)
Old 04-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the input guys, im still up in the air about it, i wish someone made a grill like the aftermarket SS ones with the mesh, but with a license plate mount recessed in it.

I just dont get it. NE hardly has a problem with traffic compared to states like AZ, and in AZ you dont need a front license plate, if anything they need it more that we do....NOT FAIR!

Originally Posted by LS1MONSTER
Well I would go with SLP's front license plate bracket. It attaches from underneath so no need to drill into your grill. And it doesn't require much work to put on and take off. I have and just carry it in the back.
Do you have any pics of your grill with the SLP front bracket?
Old 04-10-2006, 11:11 PM
Launching!

no installed pics yet havent found any but that will give you an idea. i think i would go this route too, but fortunately i am in a state that does not require them.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see if you can put it BEHIND a billet grill
Old 04-10-2006, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camaroextra
see if you can put it BEHIND a billet grill
not a bad idea but think it would go with the same idea as the front windshield, it still would be obstructed.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by '96 Z28SS
not a bad idea but think it would go with the same idea as the front windshield, it still would be obstructed.
yeah but then fix it. i think its worth a try
Old 04-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Hm....that might actually be a good idea.

I wish there was some mechanical way to have it retract under the car or something, ive seen some street rods like that..that would be cool.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have seen people mount it to their air dams for the radiator. Might sound stupid but just another idea for you.

Last edited by zo6vette037; 04-11-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

I'm glad I live in NM where you don't have to have a front license plate!
Old 04-11-2006, 02:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

that's what i do and its worked for over 3 months now
Old 04-11-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry I don't have any pics of it... It is a good tempory fix for a front plate. I got a fix it ticket, put on the bracket had the cop sign it off and then went back home and took it off.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Assuming I ever get Texas plates like I should (still using Indiana plate). Id probably put the plate on my air dam, if I put it on at all.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

DamanSS, this is really going to curl a few toes out there, but I had the same problem and I drilled a couple of holes.

I couldn't get on base at Offutt unless I had a front plate and I had already taken off the stock grill and wasn't about to put it back on. Whover had the old grill had put some long-*** screws through it and there were two tiny holes in just the right place for the license plate.

I drilled them out a little bit bigger so the screws I got for the attachment didn't stretch or crack anything. I then drilled two more holes for the bottom screw holes.

I purchased some self-stick insulation (dark gray, 1/4" x 1/4") and put some on the back of the plate, about 1/2" in from the edge so it isn't visible from anywhere. I then affixed it to the front of the car with the screws. I gave the plate a very slight bend to match the angle of the fascia.

I didn't screw it down hard, but it won't come off because the screws aren't going to back out.

Again, this is really going to kill some of the more **** out there, what with drilling holes and all. But, it was enough for me to get on base. I could take it off if I want, and I've been running without a plate for almost a year now with no hassles other than the gate cop.

I'll get a photo of it put up soon soon.

Quick Reply: Grill problem...