Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing Tint

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Tint

How hard would that be on a 1997 Trans Am to remove the tint? Does it cost much?

Thanks,

Justin
Old 04-12-2006, 02:40 PM
12 Second Club

you can do it yourself however! it could be bad specially when it comes to the rear b/c of the defroster lines you will prolly rip them off. they make a tint remover you can buy at any auto parts store and at wal-mart.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by waiting2bl33d
you can do it yourself however! it could be bad specially when it comes to the rear b/c of the defroster lines you will prolly rip them off. they make a tint remover you can buy at any auto parts store and at wal-mart.
Cool. What method is in those kits. Also, how easy is it to remove tint with a steam remover? Will any steam remover work?

Thanks

Last edited by Darth_Trans_Am; 04-12-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you remove it yourself, get a gold scrubby for washing teflon pans, this is the safeist way to nort hurt the defroster lines, also Goof Off works really well, just do not get it on your plastic, it can discolor it.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

how long has the tint been there?! has it been on since 97?! if so then its gonna be kind of tough. if its recent (ie under 6 or 7 months old) or has not been exposed much to strong sunlight, then you can just pull the whole thing off in one piece... just start from a corner...

for older tint, spray the whole thing with a soap/water mixture (preferably some sort of dishwash liquid), then using a shaving razor blade to scrape it off... be careful here not to scracth the glass, make sure youre taking off just the tint... it will come off in little pieces so this might take you a good 10 or 15 minutes depending on how old the tint is or how much sunlight its been exposed to
Old 04-12-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

On my 94 T/A I had to remove the side tint for inspection. I used a heat gun to get the window really hot and then just started peeling it off slowly and it all came off w/out using a razorblade. Then just scrubbed the window down with warm soapy water and viola. This was on 10 year old tint BTW.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

you can go to wal mart and get this stuff called mean green from the cleaning section and some medium grade steel wool and a razor blade. use the razor blade just to get started on pulling the tint off (do not scrape across the defroster lines) when you have all of the tint off then you spray the mean green on the window and let it sit for about 10 min and then spray it again and start scrubbing with the steel wool. its a good idea to get some plastic sheeting to lay over your carpet and seats because its gonna be a mess. at my shop we charge $80 for a job like that.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Teching In

I'm trying to stay away from the chemicals and razor blades. I would hate to ruin the defroster lines or anything else. I'm intrigued by the blow drying thing. Does anyone know any more information about steaming it off?
Old 04-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

yea you can steam it off too but it is still gonna leave glue behind
Old 04-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TorchRedZ
yea you can steam it off too but it is still gonna leave glue behind
Does the glue come off easily?
Old 04-12-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

The glue can be a pain the a**. Goofoff, or Googone should work, but it will take an effort. Heat is also your friend with that as well so I would recommend a hair drier like Jersey said to heat up the film prior to removing it so that most the glue will stick with the film. It is old so the film will be brittle.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:02 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just removed mine. It was atleast several years old, as it was getting to be pretty rough. I used a hair dryer on high, aimed right at an edge for a few minutes. Then I worked this edge up with a razor. I peeled *very* slowly, and kept the hair dryer just in front of where I was peeling. The rear window took about 20 minutes to do, slowly, slowly, peeling the tint off.
Any residue I cleaned with that purple stuff (Purple Power, or Castrol Super Clean), but dont let it get on anything else! After the purple stuff, I used window cleaner.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.autodetail-school.com/win...t-removal.html

Quick Reply: Removing Tint