Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

DRLs that stay bright with headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DRLs that stay bright with headlights?

Is there a way to make it so that the DRLs stay bright when you turn on the headlights instead of dimming down? Ive been wanting to try this for a while but I wanted to see if anybody else has tried it or if its possible.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:35 PM
10 Second Club

I was wondering the same thing. Anyone wanna chime in?
Old 04-15-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

You gotta be kidding me, I seriously thought more people would be interested in this. Oh well, when I figure it out Im not telling anybody how I did it.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:05 AM

Splice both wires together, you'll lose your signal function though..
Old 04-16-2006, 12:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z28-CTYHNTR
Is there a way to make it so that the DRLs stay bright when you turn on the headlights instead of dimming down? Ive been wanting to try this for a while but I wanted to see if anybody else has tried it or if its possible.
They don't dim, they just turn off and the outside ambers take their place. As for disabling the feature, it seems like it's one of those things that will be too much of a PITA to get it to work.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

I'm not close to my service manual right now but I think you can do it by disconnecting the yellow wire at the DRL module. That is the "headlight on" input for the DRL module. If it never knows the headlights are on then it should run them bright all the time.

I'll double check that when I'm back at work tomorrow.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

I remember this being in a FAQ somewhere on this site for free mods.....I checked but cannot find it right off hand :sorry:
Old 04-16-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I'm not close to my service manual right now but I think you can do it by disconnecting the yellow wire at the DRL module. That is the "headlight on" input for the DRL module. If it never knows the headlights are on then it should run them bright all the time.

I'll double check that when I'm back at work tomorrow.

Cool man thanks, hopefully it really is that easy.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28-CTYHNTR
Cool man thanks, hopefully it really is that easy.
If it is, let me know.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

I've gone over the wiring diagrams and it appears that on Firebirds it is easy - disconnect the yellow wire in the black 8-pin connector at the DRL module. I recommend removing the pin from the connector rather than cutting the wire so you can put it back if there are unforseen side effects. Just be sure to tape up the end to prevent shorts because that wire is hot whenever the headlights are on.

This modification prevents the DRL module from knowing when the headlight switch has been turned on so it doesn't dim the front lights. Unfortunately, it doesn't do anything about the automatic headlights on a Camaro. When the headlights go on automatically the front lights will dim. In order for this mod to work on a Camaro you also have to disable the automatic headlights. The easiest way is to short the two ambient light sensor wires together so that it thinks it's daylight all the time. Normally you would do this someplace close to the sensor but since you will be modifying the DRL connections it might be easier to just short the two wires right at the blue connector for the DRL module. The light green with black wire and the yellow with black wire are right next to each other so you can just crimp on a scotchlock connector to short them together. This is also easily reversible if you want to go back to stock.

I have checked the wiring diagrams fairly thoroughly but I may have missed some side effect of this mod so test everything. Make sure all lights and signals work before you put the dash back together.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Cool, thanks for this information man I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: DRLs that stay bright with headlights?