Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: Scratch X by hand - did it work?
Yes - My scratches are gone
16.22%
For the most part, but some scratches still remain
32.43%
No - My scratches are still there
51.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Scratch X by hand - did it work for you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 02:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least these big applicator pads should help speed up the process quite a bit. I was dreading it before assuming I was going to use the round type but when I saw those "Even Coat Applicators" now i'm actually looking forward to doing this.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kman
Make sure you guys use these steps.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...?threadid=7011
how's about ya copy and paste the thread/article?

I won't lie, i'm not going to join yet ANOTHER message board just so I can view directions...
Old 04-19-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

that is one of the best message boards around, if you are looking for good info on how to keep your car looking good..
Old 04-19-2006, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

Having been a lot tech for 2 years (one at a Lexus dealership), I learned a thing or two on detailing. I'll join over there though, take a look.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by navyblue2000
Having been a lot tech for 2 years (one at a Lexus dealership), I learned a thing or two on detailing. I'll join over there though, take a look.

will be worth your time .. I have been doing this for 20+ years, and I learn something new all the time..
Old 04-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

Scratch X worked great for me on my Black 00 Z28. It had some of the worst swirling I have ever seen from a bad buff job. I used the Scratch X last week and it took away all of the swirling as well as any other small scratches. I couldn't have been happier. I believe I read that Scratch X is the most hardcore hand polish you can buy and that if it doesn't work you need professional work with a machine to get swirling and scratches to go away. My $.02
Old 04-19-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by navyblue2000
how's about ya copy and paste the thread/article?

I won't lie, i'm not going to join yet ANOTHER message board just so I can view directions...
You don't need to. I view it all the time and you can even use the search without logging in.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Well after a very vigorous application of the stuff I have concluded it hasn't gotten rid of my scratches, only very lightly helped with some of the swirls. I tried going over a couple areas 2-3 times to see if it would improve but it didn't. However combined with the Deep Crystal Polish it did make my paint clearer and more reflective so all isn't lost.

I'll just keep it clean and waxed and hide them the best I can...
Old 05-16-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

i used that once, within 5 minutes, it was thrown over my roof into someones yard! i hate that ****! try some Zaino products
Old 05-17-2006, 12:40 AM
TECH Resident

waste of money...
Old 05-17-2006, 01:59 AM
12 Second Club

You guys that say its a waste... you dont know what you are doing, bottom line. Either that or you dont know what the meaning of "elbow grease" is.

Here is an application of ScratchX, 3 times on thouroughly F'ed up paint, followed by 1 application of Meguiars Cleaner Wax. This was done on a black sail panel... within 5-10 total minutes of product application. FWIW.. this was WITHOUT a final step wax.. it wouldve been more dramatic with a final dedicated wax.

I even masked off with painters tape a section to show BACK TO BACK what it looks like when you use this stuff the right way. Bottom of the line is obviously the application of product vs jacked up paint seen above the line.

Like I said.. you people bad mouthing this product.. you dont know what you are doing.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used the stuff and I can say its a very fine polish, actually mother's scratch remover is a lesser on the fine grit scale than scratchx. I've found that in comparing the 2 scratch removers, ScratchX will leave a much more polished and glossier finish than the Mother's product.

It does work. You really need to get some elbow grease into it.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice before and after highlights, Avengeance ..

did you have to do the whole car, or just the spoiler ?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

I havent had much luck with it but I want to give it another shot. It works good on plastic, I was using a powerball for that though, so I dont think that counts lol.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gipraw
Nice before and after highlights, Avengeance ..

did you have to do the whole car, or just the spoiler ?

Thanks! All I did was that small section on the sail panel as a demo. One of the guys from NorCal LS1 came by my house the night before one of our GTGs (get together). It was the first time I had met him... and after we washed his car I wanted to show him how I could make his paint look much better, his paint was in reaaaaallly bad shape. He was impressed by what I acheived by a few quick applications by hand... and I told him I could do 10xs better with a PC and other products I have. He has some vinyl stripes going on the car soon and after those go on Im doing the whole car for him.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Worked well did more then I had hoped but some of the wounds are too deep.

I think its a good product.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Avengeance
Thanks! All I did was that small section on the sail panel as a demo. One of the guys from NorCal LS1 came by my house the night before one of our GTGs (get together). It was the first time I had met him... and after we washed his car I wanted to show him how I could make his paint look much better, his paint was in reaaaaallly bad shape. He was impressed by what I acheived by a few quick applications by hand... and I told him I could do 10xs better with a PC and other products I have. He has some vinyl stripes going on the car soon and after those go on Im doing the whole car for him.
what if you used it with a pc? Would you use the settings on the pc just like you were using any other sort of intensive polish?
Old 05-18-2006, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
what if you used it with a pc? Would you use the settings on the pc just like you were using any other sort of intensive polish?
there are much better products to use with a PC .. it can be done, but not worth the hassle, in my opinion .. it gets really gummy, really quick with a PC .. plus you are not supposed to let it dry prior to removing it, so it is better used by hand.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

gotta question to ask about this - the directions on the bottle say to not use/apply the product on hot surfaces - to only apply them on cool/shady spots, but does that *really* matter? from where im at, its hard to get to a nice shady spot...the only time i culd was under the trees, but the wind kept knockin off the little frillies from all the trees onto my freshly washed/clayed car

i noticed a slight difference in my scratch removal, but then again, i dont think i used it properly, and i only applied one coat.

any advice?
Old 05-18-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it will dry to quickly on a hot car. Best to wait till the evening so that you don't have the sun beating down on it. It's best to use while its still wet, I usually use a cheap microfibre polishing cloth and the scratchx really adheres to the cloth and stays moist, then you pretty much rub the hell out of it till you get a decent shine.

If the scratches are too deep, it doesn't work well. This stuff is really for those mistake type swirls like using a rough cloth/sponge to wipe the car down or when washing you get some fine sand in your mitt and end up swirling up sections of the car.

Quick Reply: Scratch X by hand - did it work for you?