Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Low or High Speed Buff?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Low or High Speed Buff?

My car needs to be buffed. The hood, sail panel, and spoiler are looking a little tired. They have the typical oxidation, but nothing really bad. I use a filler wax and it fills in all the little lines. Looks great for about 2 or 3 weeks then it has that "I need to be waxed" look again. Actually shines as good as new when I put on that filler wax.

I was thinking of buying a low speed polisher and doing it myself. I don't know how to high speed buff, but I do know you can **** up your paint. Do you think it would be worth the time to buy or a low speed polisher or just pay somebody to high speed buff it? I don't want to do it myself and be unsatisfied with the results.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look through the Porter Cable FAQ.

It's a lot of money to invest, but the results are worth it, when you consider the whole setup is less than the cost to repaint just one panel.

Cheap low speed polishers aren't aggresive enough to correct paint flaws, and simple high speed rotary buffers are the ones that can hose your paint.

Everything you need to know is in that PC FAQ.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought $125 for the PC wasnt that expensive at all. I have done over 100 cars with current one and it is still running strong. DONT WASTE MONEY ON A LOW SPEED POLISHER. You will be dissapointed and feel like you wasted your hard earned money. You will have to work to screw your paint up with a PC. It might take you a little to get use to but you will get the hang of it. You will pay someone else probably more money than the PC costs anyways (for a good detail and not just a buff and leave deal) and you can redue your car later on as well. Just costs your time and products.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the PC 7424 and use it at a speed you feel comfortable. Take your time with it, and increase speed little by little.